Quantcast

Review: Maverick Speedball vs GravityDropper

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bought a Maverick Speedball with the intentions of sharing it between all my bikes. When I realized my Kona Dawg takes a 30.0 seatpost while the Maverick only comes in 30.9 and 31.8, my shop owner offered to buy it back from me, and I ordered a Gravity Dropper. But I did use both, and here is the report.

The Speedball uses air for a spring, with 3 inches of adjustability, and a very smooth action. After installing the saddle and the post, I could rotate slightly the upper post, which slides into the lower post, but I did not notice it riding.

You have to reach down under saddle nose to actuate the lever, but it works quite well and was never a problem. Taking your hand off the bars is a timing issue, and you obviously want to lower the seat before you reach the rough stuff.

What I especially liked is that you could lock the saddle at any point in the range, so I could lower it only an inch if I was going over something I wanted to be seated for (like a long smooth descent). The GravityDropper is like Marzocchi's ETA: full extension or the bottom of the adjustability, nothing in between.

Now my testing ground for the Speedball was a little unfair: Joaquin Miller Park. It is where downhill heroes like Nathan Rennie and TheMontashu shuttle. However, the trail back to the top, Sequoia-Bayview, is the easist singletrack climb in the world: even I can pedal my 43lb VP-Free in the middle ring.

But it was also the first time I ever used a post like this, so it was a good learning area. I am Mister TALAS-ETA, so I did not mind taking my hand off my bars to adjust the saddle height. After a few easy tests, I rolled a slightly challenging descent with the post down completely, then quickly raised it for the climb right after it.

Later, I dropped down Cinderella with the post lowered, and while I alternated standing and sitting, the post remained locked down despite the jarring descent. There were a few climbs along the way to the trail end, and I raised and lowered the Speedball with perfect precision.

The Gravitydropper is the remote-actuated seatpost with 2, 3, or 4 inches of adjustment (I have the 4 inch version), and it uses a spring and magnets as the controlling mechanism. The quality is decent, but the clamp is old fashioned, and installing the remote scratched my carbon bars. It comes only 27.2, and requires a shim (an advantage for me, considering my range of brands I own).

The actuation is clunky: when you actuate the lever, you hear a loud click indicating the travel has been released (the Maverick makes almost no sound). In order to lock it down, you have to sit on it until it locks. To release it from the locked-down position, you have to hold the lever, then sit back on the saddle for the catch to release. The seat will pop right up, so it is an odd feeling to have the saddle hit your butt while you are riding. The whole process was not very natural at first, but you get used to it.

However, the remote is a big plus. I made a lot of short steep rises I could not before when I had my saddle lowered for descents. After a while, I would raise and lower the saddle on any climb or drop. With a direct-actuated post, you have to be selective when you take your hand off the bars (Maverick said it will have a remote by Interbike).

The place I rode the GravityDropper was a true test of the post: Skeggs Point. Rocky, rooty descents, constantly changing elevations, and a mix of singletrack and fireroad (plus Bay Area erosion issues) made this a very challenging ride.

My first descent was Resolution, which is a twisty singletrack downhill. "Don't ride up Resolution," was the topic of one mtbr trail review where the rider threatned to slam into anyone climbing up it! That is where the remote started to shine through. There were a few climbs which I could not make unless my saddle was at full extension, but taking your hand off the bars could mean a ravine drop of 100 feet. The remote did its job.

The next descent was Manzanita, my favorite trail in the Bay Area: a long sandstone descent, many of the lines not so obvious. While I missed the short sandstone climb due too big of a gear, I was able to make the last hump before Gordon Mill, which was nice, considering there was a guy on a 10 year old hardtail coming the other way who could barely keep pedalling.

After riding it for a while, I thought I would prefer the 3 inch version because I like to descend on easy trails seated, but the 4 inches made a huge difference down Steam Donkey. This trail runs down straight down a ravine, a brake-lock, singletrack descent. My butt was hanging on the back wheel, particularily over the early log drop. An extra inch made a difference there.

The weight is about the same for both, about a claimed 450 grams, but the Speedball felt lighter (no gram count though). The owner had to send one Speedball back for seal leakage, so long-term reliablity still is a question.

The GravityDropper's remote does make a difference but I liked the action on the Maverick Speedball way more. Seatpost sizes will be an issue for the Speedball, so I will stick with the GravityDropper for this season.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Additional info:

The 4" GD also comes in a multiposition flavor that offers full extension, 1" drop, or 4" of drop.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Great review but I have one question. I know that the Maverick doesn't "lock" down. You can pull it up when it is in the down postion, but if you don't hit the lever it just drops to its down postion again.
Ok, so with that being said, did you feel that you may get caught, or that if your shorts hung up on it you may get stuck behind the saddle?

Seems like a wierd question, but I was looking at that post the other day and wondering if it may be a problem.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice review. I just bought a GD and have yet to put it to a true test, but will this weekend. I do like the remote, that will be a big plus if Maverick gets that worked in.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thanks for this:

Ive been considering a gravity dropper, but it looks quite unrefined, like somebody makes them in a garage or something. I will wait until a more perfected version comes out.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
Thanks for this:

Ive been considering a gravity dropper, but it looks quite unrefined, like somebody makes them in a garage or something. I will wait until a more perfected version comes out.
Looks unrefined? Huh?

They're well made and work great in my experience.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
justsomeguy said:
Looks unrefined? Huh?

They're well made and work great in my experience.
Yeah, it looks like a bare-metal piece of 1988 crap, actually.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, it looks like a bare-metal piece of 1988 crap, actually.
Black anodized = bare metal on your planet?

The early ones were silver. The newer ones are black.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
justsomeguy said:
Black anodized = bare metal on your planet?

The early ones were silver. The newer ones are black.
I just searched for a pic of one before seeing this post. Didnt see anything new. Got a pic of yours?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good stuff Sanjuro. How do the prices and weights compare?

I continue to love my gravity dropper. I got used to the action very quickly and use it all the time on the rolling trails I ride a lot. It gets sticky now and then but a little lube fixes it right quick. No personal experience with the Maverick. It does seem a little more refined and with a remote will probably be great. Have to say though, I prefer a mechanical deal like the GD over air/hydraulic, seems less prone to fail to me. But I have no idea how the Mavs are holding up.

And before anyone starts, no these are not necessary. Neither is suspension or gears but I like those too. :)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thanks for the review. I've got a Stumpy FSR that I've been contemplating something along these lines.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
As much as I completely hate the GravityDropper, it could be a real advantage in a SuperD, the Garbonzo Enduro DH, a Megavalanche, or some other endurance based DH race. When you've been descending for so long, it would be a real advantage to toss the seat up for a bit to change the muscles being used. So, this brings me to my question:

Does GravityDropper sponsor anyone besides Mark Weir?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah..so like I said, it looks like something from the 80s:rofl:

I think I'll wait on getting one of those...
I don't really care what they look like, mine works great. I know 7 or 8 people who own them and not one has been disappointed.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Motionboy2 said:
Great review but I have one question. I know that the Maverick doesn't "lock" down. You can pull it up when it is in the down postion, but if you don't hit the lever it just drops to its down postion again.
Ok, so with that being said, did you feel that you may get caught, or that if your shorts hung up on it you may get stuck behind the saddle?

Seems like a wierd question, but I was looking at that post the other day and wondering if it may be a problem.
Good point about the "no lockdown". The Maverick does not lock down when you lower the saddle. You can pull the seat back up without releasing the lockdown, although it will lower again if you let go of the seat.

I doubt it will be a problem, or any more of a problem if the seat was "locked down". If you got your shorts caught on the saddle nose in any position, you better free it or you got a problem...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
Thanks for this:

I will add a photo tonight, but the post had a decent finish, but the clamp was a couple of bolts and 3 clamping pieces which looked straight from the hardware store (and two of them fell out before I mounted a saddle).

I wish I could take the clamp from a Thomson and slap it on there...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Zark said:
Thanks for the review. I've got a Stumpy FSR that I've been contemplating something along these lines.
All my bikes have an uninterrupted seatpost, but Specialized and anyone else who only insert their post a limited amount into frames have to get a GD or a Speedball.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Zark said:
All my bikes have an uninterrupted seatpost, but Specialized and any other frame which can only insert a post a limited distance has to get a GD or a Speedball.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sanjuro said:
All my bikes have an uninterrupted seatpost, but Specialized and any other frame which can only insert a post a limited distance has to get a GD or a Speedball.
if i don't put one in my enduro, will it become unrideable?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
narlus said:
if i don't put one in my enduro, will it become unrideable?
Knock the safety tab out your frame so you can lower the post 4 inches, and you have the same amount of adjustability. Don't worry if your post hits the shock....

EDIT: I did notice how definite I put the need for a GD or SB in an interrupted seat tube frame. Obviously riders have been surviving without this kind of post, but it does give you a huge advantage you could not get otherwise (unless you had a telescoping post).

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I love my GD post (the non-remote version) so far, with about a dozen rides on the thing. Got the no-remote, as I really prefer the less stuff on my bars the better. Even with having to time the raising/lowering of it, it's still far better than stopping to mess with a quick release lever. Plus, I end up using it far more.

FWIW, the multi position one rocks. I've got the one with a 1" and 4" stop. The 1" is great on rolling stuff where you don't quite want the seat all the way up, but don't want it down more, either.

As Sanjuro said, the 27.2mm size is a nice thing. I can use it on both bikes, and adjusting the seat for doing so takes practically no time.