Quantcast

Review on new bike

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hey, i thought id post a review of my new mongoose thunderball since a few of you said i should back when i was deciding to get it.
Ive had it for about 3-4 weeks now and it rides really well. Love the crankset and the pedals, really big platforms and strong cranks make for a very stable feeling ride. :)
The fork (dirt jam pro) is good when pumped up to a high air pressure, any lower than about 60 psi and its no good for dirt jumping because it just soaks up the lip of the jump.
Hayes mx-2 brakes are working really well for me. Good stopping power at high speeds, good ability to endo. nothing to complain about there really.
The frame (extra small size) is really good for doing drops and stuff and it hits jumps pretty good (apart from my recent fall which im still hurting from....though that was probably my fault hahaha)
deraillers work...thats all i really ask of them...the truvativ bar and stem havent broken, again, thats all i ask...same with the rims (Alex dm-24).
Yeah, the front end is a little heavier to lift than im used to but hey, i trust its strength and it works really well so meh, cant really complain. the tires arent great for djing/urban (kenda blue groove front, nevegal rear) but meh, they are probly the first thing to change.
overall, id say mongoose's bad rep certainly doesnt show in this bike. Great value aswell 999 aussie dollars which is about 750 us.
id give it an 8/10 overall and a 10/10 for value..
ps. does any one know how to review a new product on mtbreview.com? because i can only seem to review products that are already there and my bike isnt there... oh, and ill take a pic of it some day...problem being i dont have a camera

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Sounds like a P2. Make sure you put heavier oil in that fork to compensate for the fast rebound.

Just curious, have you ever tried a high end brake like a hope? My friend has the MX2s and they suck.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Dirtbike said:
Sounds like a P2. Make sure you put heavier oil in that fork to compensate for the fast rebound.

Just curious, have you ever tried a high end brake like a hope? My friend has the MX2s and they suck.
bah, brakes are not important, it perfectly possible to ride street with using your brakes. for DH yeah brakes could save your life, for for street, why waist your money?

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
HTFR said:
bah, brakes are not important, it perfectly possible to ride street with using your brakes. for DH yeah brakes could save your life, for for street, why waist your money?
yeah. they can stop me into an endo which is all i really ask..... i dont want the equivelant stopping power of a mack truck because a. i dont weigh that much b. i dont go that fast and c. well, i dont know actually...

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
skajumper said:
yeah. they can stop me into an endo which is all i really ask..... i dont want the equivelant stopping power of a mack truck because a. i dont weigh that much b. i dont go that fast and c. well, i dont know actually...
well, you should go fast, it make riding easyer.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
HTFR said:
well, you should go fast, it make riding easyer.
I do go fast, i just meant i dont go ridiculous downhill rider type fast and then have an urge to stop immediately. Ps. whats the point of having really powerful brakes when mine lock up anyway... i mean you cant really have more power than being able to lock up...unless you want the power to tear your disc apart... as cool as that would be, its kind of useless..ahahaha

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
skajumper said:
I do go fast, i just meant i dont go ridiculous downhill rider type fast and then have an urge to stop immediately. Ps. whats the point of having really powerful brakes when mine lock up anyway... i mean you cant really have more power than being able to lock up...unless you want the power to tear your disc apart... as cool as that would be, its kind of useless..ahahaha
The thing about Hopes, as well as the power they offer, is that they are better modulated than nearly any other disk brake. Even the Mono-minis are better modulated than, for example Shimano XT or Hayes HFXs. (I've used all three.) Makes doing stoppies way easier. :thumb:

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Changleen said:
The thing about Hopes, as well as the power they offer, is that they are better modulated than nearly any other disk brake. Even the Mono-minis are better modulated than, for example Shimano XT or Hayes HFXs. (I've used all three.) Makes doing stoppies way easier. :thumb:
Yeah, im willing to believe that hopes and avids are amazing. Unfortunatly, ive never ridden either outside of a bike store. When i have the money and ive upgraded other stuff that needs upgrading (pedals, tyres, front derailer to single chainring etc.) then ill probly go a pair of avid mechs or juicy 7's because the hopes are way too expensive in australia.

maro

Chimp
May 2, 2005
SLC
spacemanspiff06 said:
get the juicy 5s, there cheap and their power and modulation can't be beat by any dual piston brake. has anyone tryed a hope mono 6 ti?
they're usually only $20 less than the juicy 7's. i almost went with the 5's but opted for the 7's for that reason.