Quantcast

Reviews: Vivid, D24s, Twenty6 Levers

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of the fact that the floodgate on the boxers isn't the same as the floodgate on the totem, pike, etc. I was refering to the totem so thats why I sounded off to you and why I didn't understand. Just read the manual of the boxer and now it is clear.
Ah right, yeah the Totem has a different setup which I haven't had a good look at yet. It actually looks like a better system in many ways but the only Totem I've found to have a quick spin didn't feel very nice compared to Boxxers, I think there may have been something wrong with it though.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The mission control damper used on the Totem allows HSC, LSC, and roll-off (or threshold) to be tuned externally.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
In my understanding the Mission Control has an extra adjustable speedstack bypass (HSC knob) compared to Boxxer Motion Control, but never opened one to prove this.

Feb 26, 2003
plovdiv & boston
Udi, have you ever had inconsistent damping with running a lot LSC? I had problems with the oil staying up in the damper and not draining fast enough on rebound - that's with 1 or 2 clicks from fully closed. This left me with no damping initially and then a harsh transition back to damping. After leaving the fork for a while, it was ok, but on the next run it was happening again mid-run. Oil level was correct.

In the afternoon I explained what was happening to the guys at the Sram service truck, got the fork serviced by them, and next day the same thing happened. None of the Sram mechanics had an idea how to solve this and one even recommended running less lsc and a heavier spring :shocked:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Ah yeah, speedstack free since 06.

I pretty much tried all sorts of silly stuff when I first got the fork (running it locked out + blowing off fast like socket mentioned) but I settled on a good setting/setup pretty quick and haven't changed it in over a year now.
Hey Udi, i'm thinking about getting a boxxer for the next race season.

Since i heard that you are not running the speedstack in yours, i was wondering if is worth to get the Team instead of the Race?

I want to run the same MoCo setup that you been using. :busted:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^ i think its been covered in the boxxer thread. with the team you can adjust the threshold which the race doesn't have.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Udi, have you ever had inconsistent damping with running a lot LSC? I had problems with the oil staying up in the damper and not draining fast enough on rebound - that's with 1 or 2 clicks from fully closed. This left me with no damping initially and then a harsh transition back to damping. After leaving the fork for a while, it was ok, but on the next run it was happening again mid-run. Oil level was correct.

In the afternoon I explained what was happening to the guys at the Sram service truck, got the fork serviced by them, and next day the same thing happened. None of the Sram mechanics had an idea how to solve this and one even recommended running less lsc and a heavier spring :shocked:
Maybe shouldn't speak on his behalf here, but Udi did say he'd had a problem with the LSC plate getting stuck "down" when the oil from the rebound stroke passed through, and getting the same effects you were describing. Not sure exactly what the cause was but his solution was to make a stronger spring for the plate, I think he used fork seal/dust wiper springs and drilled a hole in the prongs on the back side of the plate and attached em to something else... if that makes any sense haha.

Feb 26, 2003
plovdiv & boston
I remember that discussion and just re-read it, but the symptoms with mine seemed a bit different when that was happening. After leaving the fork for a while, it was fine afterwards. This led me to think that it wasn't a stuck plate, since Udi's needed intervention. The cause might be the same, although happening in a slightly different manner.

When I have the time I might try a different approach if the problems come from the plate getting stuck.