Quantcast

Reviving a 1998 Stumpjumper Comp

rkroel

Chimp
Apr 16, 2008
Hey all,

I recently dug my 1998 Stumpjumper out of storage (for the third or fourth time mind you). I cleaned it, gave it a basic once over and have since put about 30 miles on it. However on my last outing on a high speed bump the top cap on the left tube of the Judy fork let go at full compression and the spring assembly hit me in the chest (ouch).

This pushed me farther into the new bike vs. refitting the old one debate. Keep in mind I absolutely love this bike.

I talked to a mechanic at a local bike shop and after some research he suggested the Rockshox Tora 318 (FK6078). This is not the air spring version of this shock. He suggested it because it has the cantilever mounting bosses for my brakes and can be set at 80mm of travel which he indicated was necessary to agree with the geometry of the bike and also matches the old shock.

Two questions:

First, is this "the best" shock that meets the cantilever and travel requirements?

Second, is there a shock that meets the travel requirement that would justify a conversion to disk brakes, if so what does the conversion entail?

I would like to keep riding this bike while I get through my graduation/marriage (may) and the beginnings of a new house purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help, I am about 5 years behind on the bike stuff.

Ryan

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I wouldn't waste the $$ on a new shock for a bike that old. You should be able to hunt down an older used fork in decent condition for $100 or so. Personally, I'd recommend Marzocchi as they seem to hold up better over time and parts such as seals, etc for their products are much easier to get a hold after a few years than other brands. Take the extra $$ and start putting it away for when the ol' Stumpy cracks near the chainstay yoke (they have a habit of that, and I think yours probably only came with a 5 year warranty).

:cheers:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Get a high quality cromo steel rigid fork for it. The shop can order it for you.

After you ride it into the ground, buy a new bike.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Get a high quality cromo steel rigid fork for it. The shop can order it for you.
Ouch - that's a rough ride on one of those M2 frames...I'd not only go with front suspension on that thing, but if you're gonna spend a lot of time on it, maybe even hunt down a suspension seatpost. I used to run one on my 97. Helped a lot.

jimmybong

Chimp
Oct 12, 2006
east of richmond
dood! i'm glad i'm not alone! i ride or have a 97 cannondale super V700 that i'm planning on re-building. the frame's in good shape, no real hard knocks taken on her. good luck and keep us posted on ur progress.

SvCoop

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
If you like the bike and don't race I don't see a problem keeping it. I am riding on '01 Kona Hahanna with a junk RST fork on it. I really like this bike other than the forks and can't see me buying a new bike anytime soon.

jimmybong

Chimp
Oct 12, 2006
east of richmond
to me, unless ur frame is stressed,fractured or just plain ol' whacked, i don't see dropping major coin just to have that season's hot item. it's all about "the ride" not "what you're riding" but all too often MTBers can and are snobbish on the trails if they see you riding anything under x dollar amount or if you're not wearing lycra jerseys...just my 2 cents.