Quantcast

revoking reproductive rights

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so i've been working from home for almost 2 months & get to continually view the unfolding of what i fear may be the all-too-common household in america: divorced mother of 5 (from 3 dads) in her 30's, junk-food eating, wal-mart shopping, new life church attending*, barely educated, perpetually unemployed, incapable of abstract thought, screams & curses at one of her ex's with a baby on the hip, rubenesque philistine. also a renter who does no grounds/house maintenance.

adding to the mix: she's a foster mom, and has (inadvertently) made clear she's doing it for the money, not for altruism.

normally a lounge topic, i'd like to brainstorm some legislative possibilities in the event i get tapped with obscene & overreaching authority. i think we as a collective can handle/tolerate slags among us, but when in possession of the capability to perpetuate public poison, shouldn't we reconsider shelving this potential for a select few?

* treats it as a club - does not live it out

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
As wrong as it is, I too often think we should have such controls in place.

If there was a guaranteed cheap and safe way to sterilize and unsterlize people on the fly, I would be all for it.

Since I disagree with too much govt control, I say the only requirement for getting pregnant -- released from mandatory sterilizaiton -- is a simple request.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the TV, turn it off, now.

Seriously...NOW!
sadly, this is across the street. we won't let our daughter go over to play, mostly due to the 7 - yes, an actual number - of t.v.'s are on, and usually with age-inappropriate content. lots of neglect. one of her previous clients had to be forcefully & permanently removed because he wasn't being given his complex cocktail of bi-polar meds. ironic to this thread, he was one 8 siblings all of whom are wards of the state for mental health issues.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Wow, sorry to hear you have to live in true "high def". After living in New Orleans and witnessing people having babies to keep extra checks coming in and tracking them by their "babies' daddys" I would have to agree.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
is there genetic justification? obviously, this is why we don't let siblings marry, but can this same logic be extended to those who will blight the gene pool? with our overburdened healthcare industry, can we afford to further suffocate the system?

i know this borders on eugenics; i was well aware when i first thought of posting this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i know this borders on eugenics; i was well aware when i first thought of posting this.
Borders? :rofl:

I agree that some people should simply not be allowed to procreate. I don't think there's a good way to police this, though, even in ideal circumstances.

Mandatory sterilization with a request to be removed? Stopping unintended pregnancies is all well and good but there are certainly as many unfit parents who deliberately conceived as unfit parents who had an accident.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
is there genetic justification? obviously, this is why we don't let siblings marry, but can this same logic be extended to those who will blight the gene pool?
Who will decide who gets to procreate? You? What are your qualifications to be a judge?

What about people who are much more intelligent and attractive and productive than YOU? Do they get to judge the judge when you want to extend your lineage?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
let me refine my position to say i'm absolutely not for pre-emptive & pro-active culling. i'm saying there those who walk among us that i can be convinced there's a missed legislative opportunity. much like how chesters can be chemically castrated for their repeated & unrepentant offenses, so too can those elect by consequence or outward negligence to be sterilized. now, i realize chesters are sterilized not so they won't reproduce, but to control the urges & capabilities to offend.

i see a big loophole here, as is obvious from my first post: she's also a foster parent, which can extend to adoptive parent. so i'd like to now extend revocation beyond genetic.

work with me here. you, too, can reap this reward.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm required by law to get a license to own a dog, why not children?
When your kid attacks the mailman genetic evidence can be used to hold you liable.

Not so with a dog, hence the license.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Who will decide who gets to procreate? You? What are your qualifications to be a judge?
i'm qualified to start a thread on teh intarwebs.
H8R said:
What about people who are much more intelligent and attractive and productive than YOU? Do they get to judge the judge when you want to extend your lineage?
i don't put my business out in the street. i know my place & keep my head down. this piece of flotsam yells at everyone around when she finally decides to pay attention to them. the kids get in trouble b/c they interrupt her meaningless phone conversation because they crave attention.

face it: there are people who need to be torn in 2 & have their entrails trampled. this mouth-breathing, face-pinching, mini-van driving, stay-at-home whore needs to have her curtains sewn shut.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
face it: there are people who need to be torn in 2 & have their entrails trampled. this mouth-breathing, face-pinching, mini-van driving, stay-at-home whore needs to have her curtains sewn shut.
Someone has a crush...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
you are just mad cuz you didnt think of that comment first.

:monkey:
I think like that all day long. One of the reasons I moved out of Oakland, so I wouldn't end up going all Travis Bickle.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
As much as I see the point $tinkle is making, one cannot make a good moral argument to impose one's values on others.

Really, it's impossible, I think I just demonstrated that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I see it all the time. My "high school sweatheart" has 4 kids from 3 different dads. She is married (not divorced) to one guy who split over 10 years ago and is living with some guy she met 5 years ago that MIGHT be the father of #4. She should have been sewn up after 2. She is a drunk and a pothead, lives off welfare and her man works for cash in construction.

I'm all for freedom, but if you don't have the $1.05, then you get none.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
As much as I see the point $tinkle is making, one cannot make a good moral argument to impose one's values on others.

What about my suggestion?

You get unsterilized* by asking. No requirements, no money, no questions, no judgements, no judges.

* let's assume that there was a way to sterilize everyone with ZERO negative consequences. I know there are plenty of people who get sick from such meds... we're just talking hypothetically.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

i guess if you believe that, then by extension a significant portion of laws are immoral, especially those which prevent participation in many parts of life until some arbitrary year is attained.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What about my suggestion?

You get unsterilized* by asking. No requirements, no money, no questions, no judgements, no judges.
It doesn't address $tinkle's concerns. The woman in question chooses to be a parent.

Of course completely harmless, reversible sterilization solves a whole other set of problems but it's not entirely the point here: that there are some people who should be told they cannot breed.

Still. Impossible to police in any kind of morally acceptable or reasonable way. Even empirical measurements like income aren't a foolproof way; I know many quality people who grew up in quality families who were dirt poor.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Well, you can't legislate intelligence, and you can't legislate morality, despite what the Moron Majority believes, and you probably can't legislate pre-emptive hysterectomies outside of China, so we're stuck with these trailer trash that see children as a business opportunity and welfare as a lifestyle choice. We can only wait for Darwin to take his toll, which won't be soon enough.