Quantcast

Revox Pro

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Found a good deal on a revox Pro via pricepoint.com. Now that they're not SPV but rather speed sensitive, are they any good? I hear a lot of positive things but they aren't popular, and my last experience with a manitou shock was very negative. $260 is hard to beat, and I haven't seen a used CCDB come anywhere close....

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
yeah, they've been on my radar too. I'm going to call manitou with a couple questions (any special tools to service them? Does the IFP have a bleed port?) and go from there. shimmed manitou stuff is mad smooth, and now that they use the same size bushings as everyone else (as of 2011, so I hear, but not published anywhere?) It could make them a contender again.

I will gladly support a company that provides service parts to the end user with no hassle over a more established, but harder to deal with name.

H.

I'm also going to ask about a couple things on teh radium expert air...now that the SPV is gone it could be a nice air alternative to the other guys out there, and the price is wayyyy right.

H.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
They work fine if you ask me. I have one on my M6. Big thing is, its hard to find a way to have them serviced. Manitou isnt all that easy to deal with. I had to get some DU bushings for it a year ago, worst experience I have ever dealt with finding a part. I ended up getting them shipped to a surf shop that deals with Trident who is mainly an aquatic sport company that took on Manitou as a side project or something. Anyway they wouldnt deal with me directly, and not one of the 5 bike shops In my area, including the one I bought the bike from would deal with either Trident or Manitou for me. So that to me said alot about them. However its a solid shock and performs ok, but I would much rather have a CCDB or Fox. Or even an ELKA, but the price you are looking at seems great.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
They work fine if you ask me. I have one on my M6. Big thing is, its hard to find a way to have them serviced. Manitou isnt all that easy to deal with. I had to get some DU bushings for it a year ago, worst experience I have ever dealt with finding a part. I ended up getting them shipped to a surf shop that deals with Trident who is mainly an aquatic sport company that took on Manitou as a side project or something. Anyway they wouldnt deal with me directly, and not one of the 5 bike shops In my area, including the one I bought the bike from would deal with either Trident or Manitou for me. So that to me said alot about them. However its a solid shock and performs ok, but I would much rather have a CCDB or Fox. Or even an ELKA, but the price you are looking at seems great.
That sounds like a giant PITA. The goods news is that I think things have changed at Manitou since then. I recently sent in my Dorado for a rebuild (the first rebuild is free with that fork, hence why I didn't do it myself), and the thing was back in my hands, rebuilt, 5 business days after they received it. Crazy fast.

Also, Dirtlabs works on Manitou; I'm not sure if that was the case a year ago, though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why not a vivid? 260 for a manitou rear shock seems steep. I picked up a vivid on ebay last year for 86 bucks. I've seen them sell new for 150 on Ebay and PB.
Well, it is a brand new shock with adjustable hi and lo speed compression and air bottom out. I haven't found a vivid for less than 330 yet new. If the revox sucks, then I'll wait and find a used shock, but brand new is hard to argue with. I also am just not a fan of rock shox products. I know other people have good experiences, but I have owned four or five rs products and each has had fairly serious issues. My radium was a bit sticky, rut it never leaked oil and was at least consistent. I'd consider one for the right price, but if it's within $50, I'd rather choose any other brand.

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure that the 2011+ use the same 1/2" bushings as everyone else, so no problems there.

In other news, I just sprung for a radium pro to put on my nickel. A new shim based shock without SPV seemed like a really good deal, and since the swinger pro is such a kick ass shock, if this is even half of what the swinger is, it'll blow the fox **** outta the water. I'll do a full prelim report on build quality, factory bleed quality, if it comes lubed ext and all that stuff when I get it in a couple days.

FYI, pricepoint has the full seal rebuild kit for the coil shocks and air shocks on their site, for 23 and 40some respectively, and they are in stock. I would just pick one up when you get your shock to have it around.

Also, manitou has decent manuals up online, and a helpful service department. They support end users working on their own stuff to save money. I've got a good feeling about the new radium, hopefully its right.
H

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Revox Pro on my Legend. No complaints here, I think it works well and it didn't explode. Although I didn't spend much time tuning it, and it could use further dialing in for next season. But I like that it has lots of adjustments to fine tune everything.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I had zero problems buying new bushings for my Revox. Weird. I got a whole bag full of them. I really like mine. It's got a nice rebound stroke. Much better than say, a roco. But that's not saying much. It's proven to be really reliable too. 2 years, no rebuild, no leaks, no problems. LOTS of bottoming out due to running it under sprung for a while. It needs a bit more compression damping than stock for bigger guys though, although that's no surprise.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Manitou still exists? Seriously... only on RM I think. "RMware" is the new vaporware.

My Vivids (Push'd) ride great and rarely need servicing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Manitou still exists? Seriously... only on RM I think. "RMware" is the new vaporware.

My Vivids (Push'd) ride great and rarely need servicing.
wait, so you take a shock that can't be found from a retailer for less than $330, throw $205 in no-longer-available custom tuning at it, and it's a better shock than a $260 shock that's brand new? Oh. Next thing you'll tell me is that a $600 CCDB is better than a DHX 4.

Intense M6s came from the factory with revox shocks.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I ran a Revox on my Izimu. I had it custom-tuned by (if memory serves) ISO Tuning in California. The shock worked quite well and I like it much better than the stock Vivid I ran on the same bike. As for Manitou, I've had great success calling them directly and speaking to their tech folks. They've always been very responsive, sent out small parts, etc.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I had zero problems buying new bushings for my Revox. Weird. I got a whole bag full of them. I really like mine. It's got a nice rebound stroke. Much better than say, a roco. But that's not saying much. It's proven to be really reliable too. 2 years, no rebuild, no leaks, no problems. LOTS of bottoming out due to running it under sprung for a while. It needs a bit more compression damping than stock for bigger guys though, although that's no surprise.
Nowlan said he dealt with Trident which means he is in Canada, and that experience is pretty much par for the course up here.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Nowlan said he dealt with Trident which means he is in Canada, and that experience is pretty much par for the course up here.
Yup, I live on the East Coast of Canada. I found the parts a while ago to on CRC that I required but at the time of my ordeal Trident was pretty much my only option. I would love to get a custom tune done on it because I know im not getting the full capability from it.