Quantcast

Revox setup thread

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
How do you have yours set up?
Me and some buddies have m6's and theres no real info on manipoo's site for setup. Any suggestions on how to make it feel perfect?

Air Pressure
SPV setting
High Speed Compression
Low Speed Compression
Rebound

Mine so far
AP: 50
SPV: 2
HSC 1 full turn
LSC 2 More turns
Rebound 2 Turns

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Well that's what Manitou calls it in the Manual.
We have a red cap on the end of the revox resevior that unscrews and inside there is a Schrader valve for air adjustments. along with that is a another adjustment numbered 1-4.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It has a volume adjust. Can't really be "SPV volume adjust" when there is no SPV damper........
what he said.

I have the same deal on my evolver ISX6. Its a volume adjuster, nothing more. Simply effects how progressive the shock is, nothing to do with SPV.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
My advice for you guys with M6's

Manipoop goes here

Buy one of these for the M6, I have one and it is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My advice for you guys with M6's

Manipoop goes here

Buy one of these for the M6, I have one and it is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm getting one for my canfield lucky (that should be coming near the end of the week). I have an evolver I'll be keeping around as a spare. I'll let you know how it goes between the two. I'm pretty damn happy with my evolver - its the nicest shock i've ever ridden. I'm hoping the ccdb wows me

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I had one and the set up went like this:

Remove shock
Send to TF tuned
Remove all internals as they are crap
shim stack rear shock.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have one on my single pivot.

I couldn't imagine what one of those hogs feel like on a M6.
I had one on my single pivot bike the past 2 years, yes it does feel way better on a M6.

I had the unjoyfull opportunity to slap a 10.5X3.5 revox on my M6 2 weeks ago(for $hits and giggles), my buddy has a Avy chubie on his. What a pile compared to the DB! Nothing is as smooth as a good old double barrel.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
pretty sad when you are asking for setup advice and all you get is throw it away DB is better... theres a review on mtbr products that said to put the rebound fast. low speed Compression all the way soft and low speed all the way stiff.

I'm about to order my M6 on monday... I'm told that the CCDB is a $575.00 upcharge over the Revox. Holy crap!!! Do you guys really think the CCDB is worth an extra 575.00??? I'm assuming it's better than the revox, but do you really think it's worth it? I'm coming off an M3 with DHX...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I see a 10.5x.3.5 RS Vivid listed on the BTI website. NOT in stock of course, but it seems there might be hope some time soon. Rumor is that PUSH will begin tuning the vivids some time in the spring. RS Vivid rear shock + PUSH tune + Ti spring your all set. I bet all of this adds up. I figure you could spend a little less going this direction than buying CCDB with a Ti spring. Thing is, you can get a CCDB + Ti spring now. There is no telling how long you might have to wait for the Vivid and all. The upside is once you've sent it to PUSH you won't have to monkey with it to get it set up right.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
It’s funny how everyone is so quick to bash on Manitou...:disgust1: It’s also funny how just about every review I have ever seen or read on both the Revox and Evolver were all good and from top known people in the industry. Not people being paid to ride their product ether. I have had a few times to play around on a Revox and can say it feels better than the Fox DHX. Now when it comes to the CC DB there is not much out there made the same. When I say that, I mean true Twin Tube design from Olins. As for the guys that are not happy with their Revoxs I am willing to bet you don't even have it setup right for your bike and riding style. I bet only about 15% to 20% of DHers really know how to set up their shocks right.

Sorry for the rant!!!! I just get mad when people are so quick to jump on the train (The Just Because Others Say So Train with Out Really Knowing) to Bash a Company that has done so much for our Sport. The real question is does anyone know how much Hayes is doing to change things around for Manitou? It takes time and I am sure a year or two from now people will be saying great things again.....

Remember this is a Thread that started by someone asking for help to setup his shock he has now. If you don’t know how to help him then don’t try……

Feel free to Bash on me for saying this as it will not hurt my feelings at all.

:cheers:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My revox setup on my Nicolai Mpire
Bike: 49lbs single pivot
Rider: 205lbs
Riding Style: Bulldozer
Shock: 10x2.75
Air Pressure: 150lbs (to start, then +- from there)
Spring: 500lb steel
Volume setting: 3
Rebound: adjusted from midpoint depending on expected terrain
Compression: adjusted from midpoint depending on expected terrain

I used to run the bottom out air pressure at 50psi, but was told by a former member of team manitou that I was supposed to start at 150psi. The shock felt so much better. If there was a 2.5 setting on the volume ajuster I'd think that would be my setting though.

It's a great shock (no I don't ride for manitou and I'm the furthest thing from a pro). It works great on my rig, much better than the ISX-6 Evolver I had on there. Haven't ridden on a DHX5 but I know a few who have switched from the dhx to the revox and liked the revox more. Hope this helps. Post questions if you have some or PM me.

Last edited:

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
The Revox shock is ok man dont go throwing your money away on a CCDB until the revox has had it or you have a buyer, the Revox when set up right is ok, sure a tune up will make it a little more smoother and better at the end of the travel but that's the same with most shock's.

I'm 12st / 77KG and i have mine set up like this on my m6:

350lbs
85PSI (remember when putting the air in always have the intrinsic set at 1 as each turn is approx the same as 15psi)
1 on the intrinsic
turn the high speed fully anti clockwise then turn in clock wise 1 turn at a time if your bottoming out allot but don't make big adjustments just 1-2 turns at a time then try again.
The low speed i do the same as the high then turn clockwise about 1 full turn and leave it.
Rebound i have slow but its much personal preference here, but try about 4 turns anti clockwise from fully closed (turn all the way clockwise to achieve fully closed) If you feel like your diving over the front a bit try slowing it down.

Hope this helps mate.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Just got the shock back from Manitou,everything is working good again when it broke a view months back.Loving the shock preformence again.

riders weigth: 125lbs
Bike: Session 10
shock: Manitou revox(back up shock Swinger X6 intrinsic)
Type off riding: 80% DH and 20% FR
Spring: 300lbs steel spring
Air pressure: 75psi for DH and 120psi for FR
Volume adjust for DH: 1
Volume adjust for FR: 4
High speed compression: 17 clicks
Low speed compression: 10 clicks
Rebound: fully open
preload turns: 2

This setting works great for me and it feels good on every trail or in a bikepark,im not a professional biker that rides the most high end shock.I never liked manitou but this is a very good shock that works perfect for me

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
I have to admit - I'm a Manitou basher from way back.

I have my M6 Set up:
Rider: 75kg
Shock: 10x3.5
Air Pressure: 100psi
Spring: 350lb steel
Volume setting: 2
Rebound: basicly as slow as I can get it and still returning (2 clicks off full)
LS Compression: All the wayy off
HS Compression: One turn off 'fully on'

I also have an M3 with a Vivid.
And I can say the M6 pedals better, but the high speed rebound is a good thing to have on a 9.3" travel beast. I miss not having it on the Revox

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I have my M6 Set up:
Rider: 75kg
Spring: 350lb steel
Volume setting: 2
Rebound: basicly as slow as I can get it and still returning (2 clicks off full)
LS Compression: All the wayy off
HS Compression: One turn off 'fully on'

I also have an M3 with a Vivid.
And I can say the M6 pedals better, but the high speed rebound is a good thing to have on a 9.3" travel beast. I miss not having it on the Revox
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you might be over sprung... VPP is pretty dependent on proper sag to deliver its hype. If 75kg = 165lbs like my converter implies, you've probably achieved less than 20% sag. Spend a few bucks on the proper spring(#300-#250) and the bike will change its character. Despite what others have said, I couldn't get the M6 to rip corners until I made it squat. Maybe I'm weird. Oh wait, that's already been confirmed.......

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you might be over sprung... VPP is pretty dependent on proper sag to deliver its hype. If 75kg = 165lbs like my converter implies, you've probably achieved less than 20% sag. Spend a few bucks on the proper spring(#300-#250) and the bike will change its character. Despite what others have said, I couldn't get the M6 to rip corners until I made it squat. Maybe I'm weird. Oh wait, that's already been confirmed.......
Its strange, but in the initial stroke on the M6 (the bike is only new), its a bit sticky, then quickly blows through the travel ( & wheels hits the seat tube, which I'm trying to get sorted through the distributer here in Tassie).

On the M3 I run a 375lb and that is a lot softer than the 350 on the M6...
But the M6 corners so much better and feels so much nicer on the trail. Maybe when the Revox breaks in a bit more, I'll have to start runnign a bit of low speed compression

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Intense was listing the following spring rates for the M3/Socom:

Spring versus riding weight:

100-120 lbs 350lbs/in
140-180 lbs 400lbs/in
200-220 lbs 450 lbs/in
240+ 500lbs/in

Just as a point of reference.

Others (such as the tftuned site) are recommending might lighter springs per weight. I'm running a 400lb spring with a Swinger X6 on a Socom and it feels a bit over-sprung for my 145lb weight.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Its strange, but in the initial stroke on the M6 (the bike is only new), its a bit sticky, then quickly blows through the travel ( & wheels hits the seat tube, which I'm trying to get sorted through the distributer here in Tassie).

Its the intrinsic that makes it feel sticky mate you can have it tuned and have that removed.

As for the it blowing through the travel thats a weird one, mine is set up rider 76kg, 85psi, high speed almost off, no.1 on the intrinsic and slow rebound with a 350lbs spring and i feel its sits through the travel well and rides good i suppose i might have just got used to it though.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
On the M3 I run a 375lb and that is a lot softer than the 350 on the M6...
But the M6 corners so much better and feels so much nicer on the trail.
Leverage ratio, my friend.... The M6 was given a LOWER leverage ratio than the M3 which means that the spring rates DO NOT directly correlate. I'll leave it to somebody else to give the lesson but the 350 sprung M6 will be stiffer than a 375 sprung M3... What might be assisting the M6's cornering is that your bike is probably wearing the non-updated dropouts which would "kinda" emulate proper sag and this would also explain the rear tire contacting the seat tube. Check your dropouts(black bits where the rear axle attaches) and see if the "M6" label has been machined into them. If not, then yer running the original universal dropouts which make the bike lower, slacker, with the added feature of tire/seat tube contact. If you preffer to leave it this way, adding rubber or plastic washer/bushings to the shock shaft will add tire clearance.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
Leverage ratio, my friend.... The M6 was given a LOWER leverage ratio than the M3 which means that the spring rates DO NOT directly correlate. I'll leave it to somebody else to give the lesson but the 350 sprung M6 will be stiffer than a 375 sprung M3... What might be assisting the M6's cornering is that your bike is probably wearing the non-updated dropouts which would "kinda" emulate proper sag and this would also explain the rear tire contacting the seat tube. Check your dropouts(black bits where the rear axle attaches) and see if the "M6" label has been machined into them. If not, then yer running the original universal dropouts which make the bike lower, slacker, with the added feature of tire/seat tube contact. If you preffer to leave it this way, adding rubber or plastic washer/bushings to the shock shaft will add tire clearance.
Yeah I'm aware of the drop out issue, and havent had it resolved yet.
The Dropouts do have M6 machined into them, and they do hit the seat tube.... Strange

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Yeah I'm aware of the drop out issue, and havent had it resolved yet.
The Dropouts do have M6 machined into them, and they do hit the seat tube.... Strange
Hey man not to insult your inteligence but is it hitting the seat tube or the seat tube clamp as if its hitting the latter then you should just turn it around so the bolt is facing forward.

Another thing to do is take your shock off remove the spring put the shock back on and sit on the bike the shock wil go to the end of its travel and sum and you can see what the problem is and maybe send some photos off. Its also a good way of finding your ideal seat height.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
Hey man not to insult your inteligence but is it hitting the seat tube or the seat tube clamp as if its hitting the latter then you should just turn it around so the bolt is facing forward.

Another thing to do is take your shock off remove the spring put the shock back on and sit on the bike the shock wil go to the end of its travel and sum and you can see what the problem is and maybe send some photos off. Its also a good way of finding your ideal seat height.
Well I have a white frame with a black tire mark on the seat tube underneath the collar...
So I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.

Anyways, I'm starting to like the Revox,and the speed at the top end isnt worrying me anymore.
The M3 is out of action,so when its up and running again, it will be interesting to see how I like it in comparison, although I must say I feel like I'm going a bit harder now.

Last edited: