Quantcast

Reynolds 853 Frames

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Last night, one of the salespeople in my LBS told my buddy that bike companies were having difficulties getting a hold of Reynolds 853 tubing (supply issue) hence the lack of 853 steel frames in most bike lines.

Any thoughts? My gut feeling is that most buyers look at weight, but more subtle issues like stiffness don't come to mind. Hence, the emphasis on aluminum. Any idea on cost comparison between steel and aluminum for materials and welding?

R

RideMonkey

Most bike lines do not have steel frames because aluminum frames have become so trendy that they can't sell enough steel frames to make it worth while.

Reynolds 853 is a high end tubeset that you would only find on the upper end bikes.

I'd take an 853 frame over an aluminum frame any day (for a hardtail).

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Moving away from the 853 question and just steel in general.
Why is aluminum so predominant now? Weight savings, material and labor costs with minor performance sacrifices? I thought it was strange that none of the stock hardtails we looked at were steel. Where's the variety!:rolleyes: Anybody point me in the direction of a good steel bike for my entry-level buddy?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I think Rocky Mountain has an entry level steel bike. Voodoo and Giant used to, not sure any more plus I've heard rumors Voodoo went out of business. I had a Fuji MTB a while back that was made of True Temper and they usually give you a lot of bike for the money, so you might want to check them. It's getting hard to find steel frames on production bikes. They are worth searching out in my opinion.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
853 was a patented alloy up until two years ago. Lemond was the first (road) company to use 853 steel and paid big bucks to ensure that would stay that way. The patent is up and its a for-all material now. That might help to explain its somewhat limited supply. Up until recently it just wasn't available.