Quantcast

Rhollof Internal Gear Hub

R

RideMonkey

Anyone have experience with these? From what I have read they are better in every way than a traditional drivetrain except weight. I've heard that they are 1 to 2 pounds heavier than a full XTR drivetrain. Anyone know the actual weight difference?

Anyone ridden this bad boy?

RM

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
I put one of those on a Litespeed last year, had to have the frame custom made with different rear drop outs. It was kind of a pain to set up, but once adjusted it shifted really smooth. I took the beast around the block a couple times, nothing really stood out about it but the weight.

kevral

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Oslo, Norway/Boulder, CO
They come in versions for regular dropouts too, not just horizontals.
Lots of Euro frame makers have started making frames especially for the Rohloffs, so I guess they may be onto something.....

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

No lie there kevral! Many makers make a frame dedicated only to the Rohloff 700/14. I have ridden one under combat conditions and can you say "silky smooth"? I can! Imagine the only wrenching you have to do with your dirvetrain is change the oil twice a year? Ever sheared a derailleur bolt? Bent the hanger? twisted a cage? I have - thoes sorts of nightmares don't exist with Rohloff.

In a word - bombproof! Weight difference, 600 grams. Take of your waterbottles and use a Camelbak and the weight is saved.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Bike Mag or Dirtrag did a review a couple of months ago, can't remember which. They had some problems when the hub was new, but once it was broken in, everything worked pretty good. I'm thinkin in another year or two they will have all of the bugs worked out and be able to hold up to the bashing of mountain biking. I'm hoping so, because I'd love to make the switch on my geared bike. Right now, cost seems to be a big factor too, but that should come down after a couple of years. Weight seems to be a factor, but I think if you add up all drivetrain components between the two systems, you won't find that much of a difference. The Rolff lets you lose: Front shifter, Front derailleur and their cable and housing, 2 chainrings, rear derailluer, cassette.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But for many full suspension bikes add in a chain tensioner. I can hardly wait for when they have it dialed. It will be a good thing. And if it works well for Rolhoff, the Shimano and others will copy it and competition will give us better and cheaper stuff, I hope.

kevral

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Oslo, Norway/Boulder, CO
The Rohloff system isn't exactly new-- I first heard of it at least four years ago. It doesn't seem to have been developed much since then (could be wrong on this) but I am certain it is so protected by patents that it would be hard for the competition to make copies. That said, I also suspect that the Rohloff system is so expensive to produce that Shimano won't go near it--Shimano seems to be more about high numbers than high quality.

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
i rode it for about an hour a few weeks ago. extremely smooth shifting but there is a point where it wont shift i think half way through the range in which you have to stop pedaling to shift other than that it is real nice and you can shift with out pedaling.
and about weight add all the crap that doesnt work when it is muddy and its about the same. it is sealed so mud has no effect on it. but it is only available in gripshift form.

Well, I am a very happy Rohloff owner after three/four months. I've had no problems what-so-ever. Taking the wheel in and out is not much of a hassle either, I'm running Discs so maybe that helps...
shifting wise, it is awesome. I like the shorty gripshift style shifter as well.

It is not totally intuitive, at least to me, to set up, but I figured it out with a little time.

I hate working on my own bikes. The Rohloff has been great in that area too. Hose off the bike. Lube chain. Done! With Hydro Discs and the Rohloff there are no worries.

I love it!

And as for the weight issue...I'm 235lbs, so an extra 1-2 lbs on teh bike ain't gonna make me go any slower. Know what I mean?! Unless you're a weight freak, I don't think you'd be diappointed in this hub.

Oh yeah...there is also a new brace arm tat is beign made. Instead of having the long black aluminum transfer arm under the chainstay, there will be a new brace that hooks into the disc brake mount. Still awaiting mine though so I can't speak of that yet.

If you have anymore questions....post up in the DH forum, I hardly ever check TechTalks.....

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
These are really smooth. They look cool too. Customer service is great. The distributor down here sends out a replacement wheel before you send yours in...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
More benefits to the system:

* Build a stronger, dishless wheel (despite the hub's being only available in 32h, I think)
* Lower cost than you might think: add up the total costs of, say, 3 years of XT/XTR drivetrain components and compare that to the cost of operating a Speedhub for 3 yrs (apparently lots of folks have been using them that long w/o problems).
* better chain retention with full spread of gears
* full-on DH bikes can go uphill (in principle) for training

I rode a friend's installed on his Giant ATX and have now ordered a hub for my 2001 Big Hit.

Has anyone used a Roox rollercoaster chainguide with the Speedhub? This is the chainguide that uses what looks like a rear derailleur cage in place of what is normally a lower roller on, say, an MRP DH/DS chainguide system. I'm thinking this is the way to go, so I ordered one of these too. Hopefully, I won't have to use the Rohloff tensioner. We'll see.

SandMan

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Montreal QC & Greenwich CT
I think the hub is taking MTB drivetrains in a direction they must go, but the hub is just too heavy. Don't forget that if you munt this on a FS bike all that weigth is unsprung. Plus I have heard that you must soft pedal between the 7th and 8th gear. It's a great concept but still has a way to go.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The other big issue with internaly geared hubs is gear friction. Roller chains are very efficient. Internally geared hubs are not. Or so I have read. What does it feel like to you guys that have a Rhollof? Say you turn the cranks by hand in the stand versus a standard drive. Can you feel a difference?