Quantcast

Rhyno Lite XLs Vs. Mavic 721s or 729s Vs. Anything else

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I need help making a decision. I've done some searching through the threads, but still can't find exactly what I need. I'm building up a new set of wheels, 26", for mostly just dirt jumping. I weigh 170 lbs and am a pretty smooth rider, but I do go big and case every now and again when trying something new. I want the rims to be as light as possible, but of course with the strength that I need.

I see a lot of people like the Rhyno Lite XLs, but it seems most are on 24s. How do they hold up as 26s?? Do you think they are strong enough for me? How do they compare to the 721s in strength?? Or, do I need to go with something even beefier like the 729s or Atomlabs??

Also, I plan on building them up around a set of Atomlab Aircorps, singlespeed. Anybody have experience with these? How do their weight and strength compare with others? Any other suggestions on hubs that aren't crazy expensive (i.e. not Chris Kings).

Thanks in advance!! :cheers:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I see a lot of people like the Rhyno Lite XLs, but it seems most are on 24s. How do they hold up as 26s?? Do you think they are strong enough for me? How do they compare to the 721s in strength?? Or, do I need to go with something even beefier like the 729s or Atomlabs??
:
I've had the same 721s on my bike the last few years. That's because I broke both both the rhyno lite xl wheels.

get'em

straight gauge dt swiss 2.0 spokes

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm light so I don't need beefy rims. RLXLs work great, but if you do case sometimes and are willing to pay the weight price the 721s will probably last longer.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm light so I don't need beefy rims. RLXLs work great, but if you do case sometimes and are willing to pay the weight price the 721s will probably last longer.
From what I see, the XLs are only 25 grams lighter than the 721s (590 grams vs 565). That's hardly anything, less than an ounce. Sounds like 721s are the way to go. Just wanted to make sure they are strong enough. Like I said, I'm not a hack, so they should be fine.

What about the Aircorp hubs? Any opinions?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
aircorp hubs a bit pricey aint it? im thinkin to go with the hope pro 2 trials hub.. less than $200,, unless you found a good deal on the aircorps.??

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Over on Chainreactioncycles, the Aircorp and Hope single speeds are about the same price, Aircorp slightly cheaper. Think the Hopes would be better?? I don't see them as an option in the custom wheel build section, though.

DMR has a single speed on there, too. But, a lot of people are saying they have problems with the disk clearance on those hubs.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
theres a dude on ebay selling the hopes for like $180 or so.. i havent found anyone here in teh US that has the atom labs though...