Quantcast

Rhyno lites or singletracks???

J

JRB

Looking at these 2 rims on XT hubs, for some sub $150 wheels for the X2. It's a trail bike, so the lighter rhyno lites would be nice. Will they be as tough at singletracks??? Thoughts...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
if they are the non XL rhyno's i would not ride them in even a trail bike.

really the rhyno light XL and the single tracks are for the same application but the differance is one os for rim brakes and the other is for disc brakes

J

JRB

I'll bet they are pinned. Thanks for pointing that out.

* I don't remember if single tracks are welded though.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
i have a single tack in the back and a rhyno lite xl in the front. i like mine i think they are almost the same rim, but maybe go for the single tacks if you have discs.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
ive been beating a singletrack front on my dh bike and ita still holding up after a few years of dh runs, jumping and riding rocks w/ a flat multiple times, i also have ryno lytes on my slolomn bike and the rear has been around on a couple of different bikes sence about 2001 and it may be wobbly but it still works...i have been relly impressed how well these have held up...im running em on my new dh bike instead of the singletracks because i havnt seen much of a difference in durability so ill take the lighter rim..

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I like Ryno Lite XLs a lot. They're stiff and strong. The Singletracks I had were really buttery and flatspotted easily, but they didn't pinch flat very easily. I would personally go for the Ryno Lites, especially because they're lighter.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Bicyclist said:
The Singletracks I had were really buttery and flatspotted easily, but they didn't pinch flat very easily. QUOTE]

sometimes thats a good thing like during a race run..

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
My vote is for the Rhyno lite XL I am running them on my DH bike now with no problems. I have used Singletracks in the past and they dented and flatspotted easier. On my dirt jumping bike I have a Rhyno lite that has 1/2" holes drilled out between the spokes left over from my trials days. This rim has seen 3+ seasons I have not even had to true it.

Rhyno lites can be a pain to get tires on and off. You really have to make sure the bead of the tire is in the center of the rim and use the thinnest rim strip possible. Or just get big beefy metal tire levers :D Michelins also mount easier than Maxxis on the Rhyno lite.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
If you're after inexpensive wheels, look at the Outlaw wheelset.

Supergo has a relabeled house "FR" wheelset, too.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
J

JRB

BMXman said:
I had them on my jump bike for a while and my HT when it was set up for DH...so far no problems. I have had them for over a year...they have done a lot better than I thought they would...D
Cool - they look like those Supergo FR wheels, but in black. I'm glad you and Crackian posted. I would typically never buy house brand wheels.