Quantcast

rhyno lyte wheels??

jordan2hundy

Chimp
Sep 19, 2008
Hello,
i am new to mtbs...i have ridden motocross for years so this was an easy transition. i just picked up a built super-v off my buddy for $200. He built the bike back in 98 for downhill and it's awesome but a touch dated. i am looking to upgrade a few things. i plan on upgrading the blownout manitou 2 fork, adding disc brakes and some new wheels.

i had a few questions--

i bent the rear mavic rim jumping the bike. i am curious if the ryno lyte rims that i see online are decnt replacements?? they claim to be tough and they are cheap. weight is obviously not an issue as the bike weights a ton and i'm used to muscling 200lbs machines. has anybody tried these wheels? do they hold up?

also i am curious if disc brakes can be added to the rear end of a super-v? the rear swing arm is a super active? the bike currently has avid v-brakes.

i am an absolute noob so any help is appreicated

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Welcome to the monkey and welcome to the sport. Rhyno lites are pretty burly but I've see those fail as well. IMHO... if you're already jumping the bike, your best upgrade should be a bike that vastly surpasses your current riding level (which from what it sounds, is not the normal mtb noob level).

The reason I say that is, you're coming from a Moto background. So I'd assume you already have your cornering mechanics down and know how to "let the suspension do it's job". Most people that I know who transition from Moto to MTB whether it be DH/XC have skillsets that increase very quickly which means that your skills will quickly surpass the limits of that bike.

We're talking about this bike right?

Last edited:

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
If you get Rhyno Lites make sure you get the Rhyno Lite XL's as they have a welded seam. I have a set of XL's laced to hadley hubs on my freeride bike and they're straight as an arrow after a year of abuse.

jordan2hundy

Chimp
Sep 19, 2008
ultra noob-

yup thats what my bike looks like. it has a fox airshock which still holds pressure. the forks sucks really bad and i'm looking to upgrade that. i would love to pick up a better bike but i have 2 race (motocross) bikes right now that i have to maintain so my play money is limited. :nopity:

my skills are much better than my knowledge of the equipment. i do love passing people that are on $4000 bikes on my $200 13 year old super-v!! i have found that there are lot more posers (@ least where i ride) on mountain bikes than in mx.

do you know anybody with a decent fork for sale?? i'm looking to spend around $200

thanks for the reply
jordan

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
...my skills are much better than my knowledge of the equipment. i do love passing people that are on $4000 bikes on my $200 13 year old super-v!! i have found that there are lot more posers (@ least where i ride) on mountain bikes than in mx.

do you know anybody with a decent fork for sale?? i'm looking to spend around $200

thanks for the reply
jordan
Plenty of used forks out there. Everyone here will have an recommendation on what you SHOULD get so take recommendations for what they are... educated (and often biased) opinions.

What kind of trails/terrain do you ride and how many miles? You many also want to research what the longest travel fork that bike can accept. Just like in Moto, if you slacken your head angle beyond what the headtube can handle, you are crusin for a busted face.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
i have a set of rhino lite xl's laced to shimano xt disc hubs and have never come out of true except for one hard crash where i had to replace most of my drive train components but the rear wheel was just a little bit out of true. definately the toughest rim brake rims and work awsome with discs too

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Rhino lytes are definately not the most durable bang for the buck. I would look more over in the Shimano area for a sturdier rim. Really the only thing Sun-Ringle makes that I put my confidence is their hubs. Those I would stand behind any day.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Rhino lytes are definately not the most durable bang for the buck. I would look more over in the Shimano area for a sturdier rim. Really the only thing Sun-Ringle makes that I put my confidence is their hubs. Those I would stand behind any day.
Shimano doesn't sell aftermarket rims.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
if it were my bike, I'd ride it until it absolutely dies. You can have a lot of fun with a bike like that for so cheap. Maybe by then, you'll know if you want a more xc bike, or would prefer something for freeriding. It would be a bummer to find a fork that works for that bike, only to crack the frame at a shock mount or something else oddball. Bikes just aren't made to last this long.