Quantcast

Rice conundrum

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm not a member on Ricemonkey.com so I'll ask here. I've been trying to pack lunch more often, and usually at jobsites have to eat it cold due to lack of heat sources. What's the trick to cooking rice and storing so that the next day it's not all crunchy dry and terrible? When I can nuke it, adding a splash of water seems to bring it back to life, but without a microwave or wok handy it get all weird and terrible

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Um, stop it from drying out with some kind of airtight container?

Best done with the smallest possible container. Try a ziplock and remove all of the air before sealing.

If that doesn't work just angle grind off the dry bits.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Best results with a rice cooker so take with grain...

Wrap hot rice in plastic wrap, taking care not squeeze it together too much, freeze immediately.
Nuking will give tasty rice again. Not a perfect solution, but if you have a freezer/cooler I would recommend nuking on site otherwise heat in morning and wrap your lunch in towels/bandana ala a bento wrap to help retain heat.

I'm not a member on Ricemonkey.com so I'll ask here. I've been trying to pack lunch more often, and usually at jobsites have to eat it cold due to lack of heat sources. What's the trick to cooking rice and storing so that the next day it's not all crunchy dry and terrible? When I can nuke it, adding a splash of water seems to bring it back to life, but without a microwave or wok handy it get all weird and terrible

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have literally never had that problem bringing stuff with rice to work. I could see some clapped out instant rice that cooks up all dry might do that I suppose, and yeah you might just add a touch of water to help bring it back to life if you can nuke it, otherwise, nuke it earlier and follow the same process? A lot of chinese and other restaurants cook it up pretty dry, vs. in country they often eat it pretty sticky with more water used when cooking it. I tend to do the latter, so it doesn't "dry out".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unrelated, but related: cook it with some coconut oil to begin with. It is excellent that way.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My method is to cook the rice al dente. Let it cool. Put it in a ziplock bag. Boil some water in the microwave in a bowl. Put the rice bag in the hot water 10 minutes. Throw in some butter/ghee before you pull it out of the bag. Squish around until creamy.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
A lot of chinese and other restaurants cook it up pretty dry, vs. in country they often eat it pretty sticky with more water used when cooking it. I tend to do the latter, so it doesn't "dry out".
I think the extra water was the key to success. Have to try is 3 times to be scientific, but doing it on the stove instead of the rice cooker and adding an hefty splash of extra water so that it's a hair on the mushy side has left me with decently soft tasty rice the net day.

The angle grinder method was sub-optimal.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if i make rice to save for me or the dog, i also add a little extra water to my cooker and store it in a airtight container almost as soon as its done cooking. ive found cheap rice is usually terrible the next day compared to something a bit more expensive.
who would have thought good asian rice would be hard to find in rural PA.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what works for me is immediately after the rice is done cooking (i use a rice cooker) i take it out and put it in another container, close it (to keep the moisture in) and let it cool to room temp on the counter before i refrigerate it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
what works for me is immediately after the rice is done cooking (i use a rice cooker) i take it out and put it in another container, close it (to keep the moisture in) and let it cool to room temp on the counter before i refrigerate it.
I do the same. I cook a lot at a time and put the portions in ziplock bags. I like to be able to have rice on hand in the fridge.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Retort packaging is a good thing, perhaps you prefer food poisoned ziplock bags over shelf stabilization?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ocean State Job Lot is Ghetto enough to be redeeming. I will give you a temporary reprieve to official banning for now....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cook some Brown rice in chicken stock.
In a pan with oil or butter cook some celery, onions, a carrot and a Pepper all finely chopped (I use those big meaty Jalapenos seeded).
Before the veggies are done put a dash of Paprika or curry on them. Just a little.
If you have left over chicken or sausage. Add that too. I like keeping it veggie and sometimes scramble a egg into it.

I eat this regularly,. The veggie mixture can be saved and added to the rice after cooking. I revive the rice with Massi sauce to keep it fresh. A lemon or lime will do the same. My ex used to add Sauson and beans to the same ingredients.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cook some Brown rice in chicken stock.
In a pan with oil or butter cook some celery, onions, a carrot and a Pepper all finely chopped (I use those big meaty Jalapenos seeded).
Before the veggies are done put a dash of Paprika or curry on them. Just a little.
If you have left over chicken or sausage. Add that too. I like keeping it veggie and sometimes scramble a egg into it.

I eat this regularly,. The veggie mixture can be saved and added to the rice after cooking. I revive the rice with Massi sauce to keep it fresh. A lemon or lime will do the same. My ex used to add Sauson and beans to the same ingredients.
when i make rice and beans the quick n dirty version i do is add some chicken bullion (sodium free) to the rice cooker and some garlic, then stir in the beans once its done cooking.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
when i make rice and beans the quick n dirty version i do is add some chicken bullion (sodium free) to the rice cooker and some garlic, then stir in the beans once its done cooking.
Brown rice just by itself is pretty awesome also. It is my favorite rice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brown rice just by itself is pretty awesome also. It is my favorite rice.
A good wild brown rice is one of my favorites.

I also like making risotto with smoked gouda and mushrooms. It serves well with roasted butternut squash and some toasted nuts, I believe I used hazelnuts.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A good wild brown rice is one of my favorites.

I also like making risotto with smoked gouda and mushrooms. It serves well with roasted butternut squash and some toasted nuts, I believe I used hazelnuts.
My friend Jeremy makes Roasted Pumpkin seed Squash with Honey and brown sugar. It is so delicious. He also makes roasted carrots and Pumpkin seeds with butter and honey that is superb.