Quantcast

Richard Cunningham joins PB

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah because MBA advertisers pushed the black diamond idea or ignored helping offers from the gravity community when he was about to write a piece about it. Not to mention - most tech savy person? April Fools was a few days ago...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah because MBA advertisers pushed the black diamond idea or ignored helping offers from the gravity community when he was about to write a piece about it. Not to mention - most tech savy person? April Fools was a few days ago...
Let's just say advertisers have much more weight at a magazine like MBA than you can ever imagine.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Let's just say advertisers have much more weight at a magazine like MBA than you can ever imagine.
I wasn't speculating they didn't have weight. I know how much weight they have, I know how it is with 2 of our local mags. What I was suggesting was that I see no reason for some of the stuff he pushed for (ie. black diamonds, uphill dh bike testing, the whole ignored whistler community outrage some time ago).

but I may be grumpy because my old man used to read much of his ramblings and I had to fight with "RC advice" my whole teen life.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I wasn't speculating they didn't have weight. I know how much weight they have, I know how it is with 2 of our local mags. What I was suggesting was that I see no reason for some of the stuff he pushed for (ie. black diamonds, uphill dh bike testing, the whole ignored whistler community outrage some time ago).

but I may be grumpy because my old man used to read much of his ramblings and I had to fight with "RC advice" my whole teen life.

I guess that because RC was at MBA for so long that it is only natural for people to assume that he was the reason that so many questionable terms and ideas that were pushed in that magazine. That actually isn't the case though and he had been less and less involved with MBA over the last few years than you would have guessed. I was still under the impression that he was the editor up until very recently, but again, that hasn't been true for some time... Anyone who has been in the industry for as long as he has is bound to have some detractors, no doubt about that.

Anyways, we're stoked to have him aboard. I feel that our reviews slay anything in the print world (although I am a little biased because I'm talking about my reviews :)), but I've always wanted more of them - something that I alone can't accomplish. More original PB content, especially tests and technical stuff, means less press-release crap and other low quality news that you can see on every other single site.

Any and all feedback is always welcome though. Keep it coming!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is there a plan for some more gravity oriented gear tests? Or real tech info? Up untill the RC I was very happy with the recent rooster upgrades on PB. Some new articles are really good.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Is there a plan for some more gravity oriented gear tests? Or real tech info? Up untill the RC I was very happy with the recent rooster upgrades on PB. Some new articles are really good.
Expect more of everything. You've no doubt seen that we've been focusing more on the AM side of things in the last year but that will change... even more AM, much more DH content, and even some proper XC stuff. You'll also start to see weekly (if not even more) product tests on parts and accessories. I'm super excited about what's to come!

RyanCleek

Chimp
Jan 13, 2010
The biggest targets are always the easiest. For the past decade I worked alongside Richard at MBA—until I left the magazine two months ago. Never once did he (or myself…) write the words “black diamond”, and no one championed Whistler and the progression/growth in riding and componentry it burgeoned more than him.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
The biggest targets are always the easiest. For the past decade I worked alongside Richard at MBA—until I left the magazine two months ago. Never once did he (or myself…) write the words “black diamond”, and no one championed Whistler and the progression/growth in riding and componentry it burgeoned more than him.

so who came up with that ****, i.e. black dimond and that not so funny article last month?

edit: honestly its not really important, we're just to used to hate on him, old habits die hard :)

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Oh I thought it was Richard Cunynghame from Dirt. That would be an improvement. But alas it is that old dood from MBA...right? No comment. As I'm not really into either MBA or PB.

But industry experience is industry experience. Which is maybe not what "our" industry needs?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought that!
No you're not.

But they've improved a ton over the past year. I talked with one of the guys who reviews bikes for them & others about it. Pinkbike is moving away from the middle-schoolers waiting for Bday money to buy a Norco Sasquatch with Monster T gig that plagued it from the start.

Still needs to improve.

Still a good idea to avoid the forums.

And EVERY single MTB publication needs better writers. Every single one -- print and online.

Every single one.

to delimeat:

A serious question:

What does it take to become a reviewer or writer for your site? I'd be interested. You could talk to one of your reviewers about my review style and content, he & I have talked about it many times before.

Specifically back on topic -- Is the RC thing related to this thread's original post?

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Cunningham parted with High-Torque because he is too cool for that place.
I mean that in the best way.
PB is killing it these days. Like HuffPo, but higher.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Cunningham parted with High-Torque because he is too cool for that place.
I mean that in the best way.
PB is killing it these days. Like HuffPo, but higher.
What seems like a long time ago -- maybe 2001? -- I visited a friend in Durango at the time IMBA had an epic ride there. The epic included a trail building day and RC was in the crew I worked with. He's a righteously funny dude, obviously very knowledgeable, and much different from how he seemed in print. Friendly too. Opinionated, sure... but all the best writers and thinkers are, IMO.

I think he'll be great for PB.

As to HuffPo... well... politically, it reminds me more of the PB forums. :D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
^suspect said it....
PB is becoming the HuffPo of the bike world, not meaning that for 'which side' you are on, but more for the fact they are collecting a large posse of photogs and writers that are respected to one person or another.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
No you're not.

But they've improved a ton over the past year. I talked with one of the guys who reviews bikes for them & others about it. Pinkbike is moving away from the middle-schoolers waiting for Bday money to buy a Norco Sasquatch with Monster T gig that plagued it from the start.

Still needs to improve.

Still a good idea to avoid the forums.

And EVERY single MTB publication needs better writers. Every single one -- print and online.

Every single one.

to delimeat:

A serious question:

What does it take to become a reviewer or writer for your site? I'd be interested. You could talk to one of your reviewers about my review style and content, he & I have talked about it many times before.

Specifically back on topic -- Is the RC thing related to this thread's original post?

Exactly. It wasn't that long ago that there wasn't any proper staff at PB and everything was user submitted. That is not a recipe for quality content, no offense to those users. What we were up against, and still are to an extent, is wanting to put up a lot of articles in a day/week, but quality was suffering to do that, especially because most of those were user submitted and needed A LOT of editing before they went up... which wasn't getting done enough. I know full well that most of our articles are not as high quality as in some magazines, but it has improved greatly over the last year and I'm super proud to have played a part in that. Believe me what I say that I was always pushing for less news and more quality. Wanting 6-8 pieces per day can be asking for trouble and you end up putting up the same p/r that you see everywhere else. I don't want to see that or to start using forum posts on our main page - I want quality.

We now have some of the best people in the industry to help us with that goal, be it full timers like Hylands and RC, or our other our contributors. Unfortunately, it will take awhile to shake off the old PB image. That's fuel for the fire though! I'm pumped that people out there can see the change though, that is very rewarding.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's not true.

I read an article specifically moaning about the term downhill and how Black Diamond should supplant it.

Apparently, several other RMers read the same article :MBA & 'Black Diamond Riding'

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I can recall articles by Richard in Mtn Bike Fiction that seemed to reflect his genuine, long-term interest in all things mtn biking. I've always gotten the sense that he would be a good guy to ride with and have a beer with afterwards.

OTOH, he was a major presence in the magazine for many years, and was part of the MBA brand. MBA posted so much garbage information on so many topics -- and contradicted themselves so frequently on so many technical topics -- that for many years they've had the lowest credibility of any mag out there. Even putting aside the weird brand / advertiser favoritism, the fact remains that MBA posted incorrect and asinine technical information for years and years, and RC was involved in some of that.

Every time MBA posted about Tubeless tire technology, they seemed to contradict what they'd written 3 months earlier.

Only MBA would, with a straight face, list the system weights of several brakes based on weighing and comparing several complete 'pretty much identical' bikes. one of the most breathtaking moments of stupid in the history of biking journalism.

Only MBA seems to get on these weird, misinformed crusades. e.g. 'black diamond'. e.g. listing all component weights in pounds and ounces, when the entire US industry is using grams for everything other than complete bike weights.

Again, I have every reason to believe RC is a decent guy, but did anyone hold a gun to his head & tell him 'you must work for XX years at the lowest credibility magazine on the market'? What were, and are, his journalistic standards, and why did he put those standards aside during the many years of decline of that magazine?

At any rate, best of luck to him and PB.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Holy crap, Ryan you are no longer at MBA? I am out of the loop on that one, damn! I hope that all is well with you!

BTW for the record I think RC is a great guy, I really like him a lot. Just an awesome human being.

Dave

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
does it have something to do with rating the difficulty of riding? as in DH would be considered "black diamond" riding since it requires a certain amount of skill? Like the ratings of ski slopes?
you are quite the deductive one :p

but yea. a lot of mountains (lift access specifically) i've been to use the green circle / blue square / black diamond rating system for the dh trails

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I try :D

but is that what MBA were doing? labelling DH as black diamond mountain biking?
Yes. They didn't like the term downhill so they made up their own. I seem to remember reading something about Evil changing the name of their chain devices to E.13 because MBA wouldn't let them advertise because they thought the name was negative.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes. They didn't like the term downhill so they made up their own. I seem to remember reading something about Evil changing the name of their chain devices to E.13 because MBA wouldn't let them advertise because they thought the name was negative.
That makes me wonder. Were there ever any cove or spank ads in MBA? ;)

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
They like downhill just fine, it's "freeride" that gets the find and replace treatment.

No Voodoo ads either. Fvcking christians.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I seem to remember reading something about Evil changing the name of their chain devices to E.13 because MBA wouldn't let them advertise because they thought the name was negative.
Ha! Good one. While it's pretty common knowledge that hi-torque publications is more god-squad than devil worship, we started using the e13 brand for a number of reasons. Probably the biggest factor was that we were marketing frames under the 'Evil' brand name, and we were beginning to sell guides to other OEM's who didn't want a chainguide that advertised a competing bike company.

. . . I still have an 'evil' branded bashguard at home somewhere . . . too bad it's a 5-110!

--JP

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Ha! Good one. While it's pretty common knowledge that hi-torque publications is more god-squad than devil worship, we started using the e13 brand for a number of reasons. Probably the biggest factor was that we were marketing frames under the 'Evil' brand name, and we were beginning to sell guides to other OEM's who didn't want a chainguide that advertised a competing bike company.

. . . I still have an 'evil' branded bashguard at home somewhere . . . too bad it's a 5-110!

--JP
I suspected that was the true reason, but I remember some online retailer had something on their website along the lines of "e.13 chainguide (formerly evil chainguides because the bible thumpers at MBA don't like scary words to appear in their magazine"

I do remember MBA mags called the iron horse G-spot the "G-Bike" in their reviews and even in a advertisement.