Quantcast

Riddle me this....

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Single 3.4GHz Intel P4 processor, WinXP Pro SP2, 2 year old computer, ASUS mobo, etc. etc pretty standard CAD/graphics workstation. I just noticed this weekend that Task Manager and Device Manager show that it is a "Multiprocessor PC" with two 3.4 GHz processors....
The Task Manager shows a split screen with two different line graphs showing.
Nothing has been changed on this machine recently on the hardware side and the only software changes are the usual Win updated and Spy Sweep/virus updates.

Now, what has changed is the second computer hooked up to the same router. It's an older PC, dual PII 800MHz ASUS mobo that I added a second processor to, installed a PCI RAID card with two new 80GB hard drives running a mirrored array. All is running well on that after the reinstall of Windows etc.

Any ideas what's up with the newer computer? I'm stumped.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got ten bucks that says it's a HT (hyper-threaded) CPU. Essentially a firmware simulation of multiple processors, so Windows thinks it has more than one.

It's normal, don't worry about it.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
guess I figured the HT was a given. It is HT (or "smoke and mirrors" as they say around this small software company I do work for).....I just never noticed it showing multi processors before.
I figured since all systems seem to be 'go', that it was ok.
Thanks.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Hyper-Threading Technology Overview Intel introduced the advancement of Hyper-Threading Technology to the desktop computing platform with the Pentium 4 processor. This technology, coupled with the existing Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture, is designed to deliver superior performance for even the most demanding applications and environments. The Pentium 4 processor brand name reflects breakthrough technology and performance that combines innovative new features with proven Intel quality.

Hyper-Treading Technology enables a single physical processor to execute two separate code streams (called threads) concurrently, increasing processor utilization and providing greater throughput and improved performance. Architecturally, the Intel processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology consists of two logical processors (see Figure 1), each of which has its own architectural state. The architectural state that is duplicated for each logical processor consists of the data registers, segment registers, control registers, debug registers, and most of the MSRs or Model Specific Registers. Each logical processor also has its own advanced programmable interrupt controller or APIC. After power-up and initialization, each logical processor can be individually halted, interrupted, or directed to execute a specified thread, independently from the other logical processor on the Pentium 4 processor core.
It's not smoke and merrors but the performance increase is variable. Basically it keeps two programs on the processor, and stores their states seperately, so it can switch between them when it's one is blocked, waiting or the other needs attention.

A simple real world version would be if you had two people assembling two car models each. The person who clears off a table and sets up both models, and switches between them while glue or paint is drying will get done before the person who does one at a time. Although he won't be twice as fast, and he'll probably make a couple of mistakes.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Interesting. I think the "variable performance" you speak of is what my friend was referring to when he described it as 'smoke and mirrors'.
Came home today and the smell of burning wires was in the air and the computer was off. The smell is coming from the power supply. Hope it didn't fry the whole works.
This is really the definition of a love/hate relationship.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ouch. Hope nothing is toasted. I usually buy expensive power supplies because I'm worried about exactly that thing - one bad power supply can equal an entire case worth of fried components.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Thanks, I hope all is well too.

It was a 550W Antec EPS-12V.
So far things on the mobo look healthy and this thing is supposed to have a bunch of "industrial grade" overload protection etc. etc. in it.
Still under warranty too so I've gotta take it to the geek store instead of diy.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
fk...
Labor and parts "should be" under warranty but the backlog is 4-5 days.....

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
just the power supply was fried. Unfortunately Antec's "AQ3" warranty wasn't in place on that product 2 years ago so I gotta bend over for the parts side of things.