Ride 29"? Want a fat tire? Read this!

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Hey Guys,

2.3"-2.4" tire update:

Remember this post? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...ghlight=mikesee

I just got off the phone with Johannes Schmidt at Ritchey and was rather disappointed by the news he told me.

Basically, there is not enough response due to a lack of factors:
1. Only 25 emails came in when Mike Curiak initially posted a while back. They need several hundred. 147 people voted, but Johannes and Jehan need hard numbers. Emails.
2. The number of folks that came by the booth at Interbike he was able to count on one hand requesting a big 29" tire
3. A tire mold runs about $5K
4. They would need to sell a minimum of 350 tires annualy for them to even think about bringing this product on.

Basically, Johannes and Jehan need a HUGE influx of emails and evidence to bring to the bean counters saying they have a viable product idea which will will make money for the company. It's all about profitability in the long run. Money talks.

So what we need is if you guys really want a TRUE 2.3" or larger tire for the front of your rigid 29"er SS, FS, Hardtail, Rigid, or whatever your flavor is, you need to email:

contact_us@ritcheylogic.com

In subject, write "Fattie 29" tire" or something to that effect.

In the body, I wrote "please make a 2.3" or larger tire. I'll buy 4."

Lets get this going fellas! Right now, copy the above emails and shooth them an email. Don't wait and do it later. Before you hit the back button, get the job done now. I'd like to call Johannes back in two weeks and for him to tell me there are 300 email sitting in his cue and he is royally pissed off at me. But you know what? We've gotten his attention.

Lets rally around this 2.4" and get some more excitement behind it!!!
I've done my part. I emailed Ritchey and let 'em know. Haters don't bother w/flaming. :think: This would be a great thing for us if we could get it! Imagine a 5x5 Lenz Leviathon(yes, a proto 5x5 29" is in the works!) w/tires capable of keeping up w/it! SEnd an email as soon as you're done w/this post. It'll be worth it in the end!

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Yep, but the casing on the WTb isn't any larger than the 2.1 Nano. It measure 2.3 knob to knob. I'll certainly use the Exiwolf, but we're hoping the casing on the Ritchey is 54mm+.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Hello All 29" Riders!!!

Thanks for your plethora of e-mails... Lots in my inbox every morning...

I work directly with Tom in Product Development, and will be putting the word in now to get you a 29" tire in a wide 2.35-2.4".

What I need from you guys(and 29" girls...) is a tread pattern that is wanted (from our existing patterns)
I have seen some polls that are put up by certian forums that have a way to vote on your preference. If someone could do this here, and send me the results (not everyone, but maybe a moderator...so i receive only a few e-mails... this would be most helpful)

I owned a 29"r (Fisher Mt. Tam) for almost a year, before i sold it...(the constant unload-restock of a bike industry guy)...so I have a better idea of where you are coming from.

To Summarize: We have gotten enough e-mails to know that there is a demand, and I will put the word in for this tire to Tom, and re-post on the verdict. (Please stop sending more...your efforts have already been noticed, and the demand is evident)

Thanks for all your interest in Ritchey, and I will promise to address this request fully, and keep you informed.

Thank You,

Jehan
Ritchey Design, Inc.
goddam, there goes the power of the consumer showing off again! :love: Thanks for lookin' though folks.