Quantcast

ride hardtail w/back problem?

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
Hey this may sound like an odd question but I was just wondering if any of you guys with back problems ride a hardtail? Ive got two bad disks and a cracked vertabrea from years of abuse. I have no problems riding my bullit and bb7 downhill or trails etc but I really miss riding a hardtail occasionally. Problem is I have my eye on a sinister ridge and am wondering if I should build one up for trails etc. Should I buy the ridge or stick with the fs. What would you guys do?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
degoose said:
Somtimes evan a fs can be easier to climb with.
WTF?!?! You make no sense as usual. Lets try two different interpretations of this crappy sentence in English.

1 Sometimes, Evan, a fs can be easier to climb with.

2 Sometime even a fs can be easier to climb with.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
yes i have back problems when i ride morphine longer standing up but aftter everyday training you dont pay attention on pain

ps. after pain in knees i decide that for dh it will be better to use fully:)

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i don't have back problems but i do know that the hardtails are really tough on the knees and that is why i have stopped using a ht for fr and dh type riding.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
WTF?!?! You make no sense as usual. Lets try two different interpretations of this crappy sentence in English.

1 Sometimes, Evan, a fs can be easier to climb with.

2 Sometime even a fs can be easier to climb with.
Haha. I have no clue what he's talking about 99% of the time either. :dead:

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I also have a herniated disc and I do a lot of exercises to make my back and torso stronger,
but in the end, I still have a herniated disc...
Sold my HT and bought a 4.5" FS and my back pain was reduced by more than 80% in less than a month.

Don't undermine your own health and buy a FS.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
thanks for the opinions, I had been riding a hardtail for years before I went to my duallys. I do all the req'd excercises etc for core muscles. I dont have any problems when riding my fs but sometimes get the urge to ride a hardtail again. I guess in the long run the hardtail will only do more damage and since I am not going to give up riding I will stick with the fs

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Man , i know how back problems are serious! My wife recently had back surgery & had her disk cut on both sides-it was herniated.
Dude, stick with FS.
I ride FS because i have a weak ankle from 3x past bad tearing sprains & 1x on my other ! Matter of fact my ankle hurts now because a storm is coming.
hey, i want to get into rock climbing again.Just indoors though- thanks stoney 98 good idea.
good luck kotajack...

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I've got a herniated disc as well and at 22yrs old. What exercises do you do? I do sit ups and pull ups and LOADS of stretching. I'm thinking of buying a rowing machine. Do you think it would help?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I've got a gnarly herniated l5s1 disc. Riding the hardtail is better for my back, as it requires more body english, and hence more blood flow to my back. Your back my vary!
The Ridge is a very smooth riding bike these days to boot!