Quantcast

Ride report from Ecuador: our trip down Cotopaxi

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jenn bought me a trip to the Galapagos Islands for my graduation present. As a special treat, she tacked on a day at the beginning to visit Cotopaxi, one of the largest equatorial volcanos, and take a mountain bike trip down it and through the surrounding countryside. We woke up very early after our long day of travel, both feeling like we hadn't had enough sleep, and headed out to meet our guide and the one other person coming with us. The company is known as the Biking Dutchman and our guide loaded us up in his beat up Toyota and drove us to Cotopaxi National Park.

The way up was beautiful, lots of great views and small mountain lakes:

Cotopaxi was shrouded in clouds, but began to peek out as we got closer:

We got to the top and suddenly all the clouds went away, the wind stopped, and it got clear and warm. The guide looked confused and informed us that this never happens, it's usually frigid and cloudy. Who are we to complain, though?

Unloading the gear and getting ready:

The beginning of our trip:

The first part was an exercise in control. The road was loose, dusty and steep - getting out of control would have meant no chance of stopping. Jenn did awesome, at first being terrified that this was her first real ride in 10+ years (nice way to be reintroduced - going down the side of a volcano) but as her confidence increased, so did her speed and we were crusing after a little while.

Despite it being labeled as a "downhill ride" the second half of the trip was primarily rolling hills and flat areas. Let me tell you, biking up hills at 13,000 ft. is no easy task. Even the small hills had us breathing heavy when we crested them. Amazing how little oxygen is available. The trail wasn't much of a road anymore, more like a doubletrack.

We eventually reached more grassy areas where the trail virtually disappeared in sections and we were just cruising through the volcano valley. Absolutely beautiful.

Fantastic trip. Jenn is to be commended on how quickly she picked up some skills, even hitting a little jump towards the end. I had stopped, saw where she was headed, and shouted "DON'T BRAKE" - she faithfully trusted my suggestion (not always a good idea), zipped over the jump and landed without a wiggle :clapping:

Full trip report from the Galapagos can be found here.

Last edited:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Fun times!! This was my first real mountain biking experience... over rocks and boulders and sh!t. Next skill I need to acquire: down-shifting. :weee:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
looks fantastic. didn't know ecuador had a mountain/volcano that high. good stuff.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Very cool. We took a similar tour in Hawaii on our honeymoon. We planned it for day two of our trip before we got acclimated to the time zone change. The shuttle picked us up at like 4:00AM. Good times.