Quantcast

Ride Review: Galbraith

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Just went up to Galbraith today and I'd have to say it was pretty much amazing. Major props to all that have put in so much time to making those trails the awesome network they are (somebody let me know when the next work party is). Evolution is just amazing as is Cheech and Chongs (spelling?). I'll definitely be going there to test the new bike. Next time I'll be sure to stop by a shop to get the "knowledge" map so I can check out all the trails that I've missed. Also, to whoever is building the trail by the car, it was awesome, just needs a little cleaning up. Again, mad props to the people who built/maintain the trail, and if you havn't been up definitly go.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm not sure why yet, but Cheech and Chong's Wild Ride (or something to that effect) was (and is I think) still called Sean's Trail. It has been for years, and someone just put that sign up. It might have something to do with Sean injuring himself, but I'm not sure. I broke my wrist on that trail. It's really great for nimble bikes, but not so much for bigger bikes. I prefer 911 in that case.
I wasn't aware that there was a trail in progress near the car? Care to explain where this is? I love new trails!
Evolution rules. Gotta add that in. I think I might try to squeeze a ride in on it tomorrow, but who knows if I'll have the time pre-Whistler. I want to hit that second stump drop as well as turn the roll after the long log ride into a stepdown. It used to be a stepdown, but they modified it before I got a chance to hit it. Now it'd be hard to hit the tranny, but I do have a bigger bike now, so maybe after this weekend...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
erikkellison said:
I want to hit that second stump drop as well as turn the roll after the long log ride into a stepdown. It used to be a stepdown, but they modified it before I got a chance to hit it. Now it'd be hard to hit the tranny, but I do have a bigger bike now, so maybe after this weekend...
Yeah, I rolled up to the second stump and teetered on the edge... maybe when I'm riding with someone else. Also, I didn't think they modified the stepdown, other than adding the safety ladder, but maybe I'm wrong, seeing that I never hit it before they had the safety in.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
kinghami3 said:
Yeah, I rolled up to the second stump and teetered on the edge... maybe when I'm riding with someone else. Also, I didn't think they modified the stepdown, other than adding the safety ladder, but maybe I'm wrong, seeing that I never hit it before they had the safety in.
The safety was always there. There used to be a lip on the stepdown, but they took it out. It is actually easier to make the tranny w/o the lip for some reason, just have some speed.
Personally I love galby. There are stunts that are big enough to be fun, yet you dont have to worry about a trip to the E.R. if you scetch out on a line.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
kona-ryder said:
The safety was always there. There used to be a lip on the stepdown, but they took it out. It is actually easier to make the tranny w/o the lip for some reason, just have some speed.
Nope, the safety was definitely not always there, but only for a short time. I get nervous getting that kind of speed on a ladder too, but I can do it just fine.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
let me know when youre going up again...im new to bham and haven't been up yet but would like to. I'm on a 7 and 7 (ASX) bike though so I may be super slow uphill :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Man, we don't care if you're slow. Well, I don't. I think Galbraith is more fun on your kind of bike because the downhill is that much more fun. I never ever remember enjoying riding uphill. At best I didn't mind it. And yes, I've run the full gamut of different bikes and riding for long periods. The fun is in the bigness ;)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ya, my buddies went back up there again today/yesterday, perhaps eren will post up a ride report or something. Those trails are just so nice. I think there should be some sort of "downhill jam" (for lack of better term. riding with buddies=good times so riding with lots of buddies/monkeys=really good times. a guy at the shop even had the crazy idea of a tag team downhill race. Lets put something together.

Erik- if you know where the car i'm talking about is you wont have much trouble finding the trail. needs a little work but with some love it could be awesome. PM me if you still can't find it or don't know where I'm talking about.

I'll plan to be back up there all day on thursday (I hate working weekends) If anybody wants to ride with me and the crew. We might even be getting some footy for an amature mtb vid.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
ya good trail, smooth, and well built bridges but next on my list is leavenworth.
shuttleable and bigger stunts.

Leavenworth is nice, haven't been up there in a while, but spent a lot of time riding gravel roads and trails scattered around the hills up there when I was younger.

I can't wait to get home to B'ham though, I unfortunately only discovered Galbraith a couple years before I joined the navy. The worst part was that for about a year I lived less than 2 miles away and never knew it was there!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
A lot of new work is being done all over the mountain. If you want a trail work schedule, you should be able to find a link to it on the homepage of www.ridegalbraith.com .
Regular trail crews go every first and third sunday of the month through April, and the freeride crew on every second and fourth sunday. For more info look for the schedule.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I love Galby! Can't wait to get up there with the Coiler when I pick it up, and with the Dirtbag after I put it together tomorrow. So much fun stuff to ride up there, all across the riding spectrum. The berms on Evo are like my version of Nirvana on earth.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
A lot of new work is being done all over the mountain. If you want a trail work schedule, you should be able to find a link to it on the homepage of www.ridegalbraith.com .
Regular trail crews go every first and third sunday of the month through April, and the freeride crew on every second and fourth sunday. For more info look for the schedule.
The Freeride Crew goes on Saturdays, not Sundays.

I rode up there Saturday and the trails were in great shape, best ride I've been on in awhile.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Amen, the weather on Saturday was awesome, and so were the trails. I am really digging the Mullet, once it gets packed down and a bit faster it is going to be awesome. Also, the hips on the **** are sick.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Amen, the weather on Saturday was awesome, and so were the trails. I am really digging the Mullet, once it gets packed down and a bit faster it is going to be awesome. Also, the hips on the **** are sick.
What are you talking about? I ride Galby 3 days a week, and I have no idea what you're referring to.
Too many new names on old trails... I'd love to know about new ones that I may be missing as I do tend to get mired into the same trails...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh, I know what you're talking about... they've been working on that forever, but it's been blocked, and I was respecting that. Haven't been on that side in the daylight in weeks. I'll have to check it out on my next day ride. Thanks! What's The Mullet?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
just found that trail when I was up there saturday, too bad I had the small rig. I took many photos and will post a full ride report (again?) in a day or two.

ICE

Chimp
Jun 5, 2006
The **** that you are talking about is actually "one-liner" and heads towards the ****

ICE

tuckya'in

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
port angeles
Hope the trail is more original than the name. BTW does that feed into Dirt Merchant or Upper Oilcan.

Evo was sick but too bad about the timber sale.......

ICE

Chimp
Jun 5, 2006
Hope the trail is more original than the name. BTW does that feed into Dirt Merchant or Upper Oilcan.

Evo was sick but too bad about the timber sale.......

All this Canadian talk is confusing...

BTW are you the one that started the newly formed Olympic Skirt Culture club?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Was just up yesterday (friday)...

Evo is running great...mullet has had quite a bit of work on it since the last time I rode it. Once it dries out a bit the section after the logride->skinny drop will be a super fun section. The reworked exit back to the towers road is well done too. That log will need some love as it looks like (without some stringers and rungs) the part that one rides on will get chewed away quickly. Fun feature though!

Dan's is ehhh and the trail before it felt super tight on my 6.6. I would imagine that trail will be THE hardtail trail on galby once it pokes out. My biggest gripe with that one is the fact they decided to run the trail along a stream...not the best of planning but what's done is done :)

911 is running surprisingly well and thanks to whomever nuked the tree that was blocking the last section of the long logride. SST has seen some great work and is flowing niiiice. And of course, riding the ridge down is always a blast...

So much for rain!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I haven't ridden up there in a couple years, but I remember riding a trail that was pretty fun.. called 'daves' I think? is that trail still around?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
could be bob's... it was a couple years ago, and I was smokin alot of doobies back then. You'd drop into this shute and then hit a couple jumps that were fun. I guess a kid died on the 2nd hit, after falling on a shovel in his backpack