Quantcast

RideFast Carbon rims?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Does anyone have experience riding these? They look like they roll off the same assembly line as Light Bicycle. I'm running Stan's Flow carbon on my Evil Offering and really like them, however I'm reusing the hubs on my Supreme DH which are 28h. Flows are only available in 32h, which makes me go down another path.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Never heard of them, BUT, if they seem to come off of the LB line, why not choose LB for lower prices?
At those prices you'd be nuts to not go with the We Are One rims. Bombproof and real lifetime, no questions warranty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Never heard of them, BUT, if they seem to come off of the LB line, why not choose LB for lower prices?
At those prices you'd be nuts to not go with the We Are One rims. Bombproof and real lifetime, no questions warranty.
i have heard good things about WR1, and will probably be going that route the next time i purchase carbon wheels, but i believe they have some specific requirements about how they must be built if you are buying rims only (sapim spokes and polyax nipples only, as well as target spoke tension) in order to honor the warranty, but i can no longer find that specific requirement in relation to the warranty on their website. but the spoke & tension requirement is still there.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
A friend has some
I looked at them wow those are deep as shit.
They haven't got the memo
Wait they probably did but still use the rims they can get their hands on.

Pretty sure newer light bike recon pro rims are way shallower

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
i have heard good things about WR1, and will probably be going that route the next time i purchase carbon wheels, but i believe they have some specific requirements about how they must be built if you are buying rims only (sapim spokes and polyax nipples only, as well as target spoke tension) in order to honor the warranty, but i can no longer find that specific requirement in relation to the warranty on their website. but the spoke & tension requirement is still there.
I own a set and have had no problems.
My buddy cracked a WA1 rim off a rock while visiting and shuttling. He filed a claim and had a rim delivered in a week. Now, I'm not disputing any build requirements as I don't know, but they totally stood behind their product.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I own a set and have had no problems.
My buddy cracked a WA1 rim off a rock while visiting and shuttling. He filed a claim and had a rim delivered in a week. Now, I'm not disputing any build requirements as I don't know, but they totally stood behind their product.
oh i'm not questioning the quality of the rims. the image below is what's on the site about the building.

and i got myself confused, its light bicycle that has warranty stipulations regarding the wheel build itself that i found odd. they won't warranty the wheel if straight gauge spokes are used.

1631205464935.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure why over LB or Nextie. I've been beating rims from both for years with great results. Great rims.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
They use their own hubs which look nice with the Ti freehub body. Their warranty is crash replacement with discount. I would prefer WAO or NOBL especially with their warranty and hub choices.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Red flag.
Exactly. I'm on my second set of WAOs, and they've been great. I've broken two due to incompetence (1: failing at bunny hopping a curb at speed, coming down exactly on the square edge at low pressure, 2: riding really fast and hitting a hidden knife edge rock at low pressure), both times they had new rims on my doorstep in less than a week. The second crack was so minor I kept riding it until I got the new rim. For the first break, I needed to replace a handful of spokes, and they provided them and nipples in the box along with the new rim. First set I had built by WAO, second set by Fanatik.

One of my buddies has gotten 2 sets of RideFasts, and both times I still fathom why. As far as I can tell, he doesn't understand the difference between a "titanium freehub" and "titanium hub", and puts value in getting something from a California company (even if all they do is source Chinese product and a slap a bear label on it). They're more expensive than my wheels (Unions/Hydras), come with some weird no-name hubs, and are just made in one of the usual Chinese factories. He did break one rim riding at low speed on a rounded rock and I think he had to send his old one in to them for them to relace and replace. They also have quietly discontinued the 6-bolt version of their hub and just provide centerlock adapters now, which he found out when the second set arrived. To their credit, they overnighted him adapters, but still, WTF?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, plus I haven't seen giant rotors approved for either CL or CL to 6-bolt adapters yet. There is something structural in there that companies like Magura won't go for. I heard shimano is going to make 220mm versions, so it'll be interesting to see if these are CL or not, but to be locked into one config is dumb.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Yeah, plus I haven't seen giant rotors approved for either CL or CL to 6-bolt adapters yet. There is something structural in there that companies like Magura won't go for. I heard shimano is going to make 220mm versions, so it'll be interesting to see if these are CL or not, but to be locked into one config is dumb.
Maybe that’s why Shimano started 6 bolt freeza in 200mm again

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't know that I'd run carbon rims...keep reading this but I'm gonna error on side of caution...

What's the consensus as far as.
Rider weight
Style
Use
It’s put enough pressure in your tires to not bounce your rims.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Don't know that I'd run carbon rims...keep reading this but I'm gonna error on side of caution...

What's the consensus as far as.
Rider weight
Style
Use
For you:
1) get something with lifetime no questions warranty
2) get DH rated rim
3) run enough pressure / casing that you don't hear rim pings in rocks

Both my failures were due to me ignoring (3). 21 psi in the rear with light casing, onto a curb = rim had no chance. 21 psi in the front with EXO+ casing into a rock at 25 mph = rim had no chance.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I was mistaken, I guess I was thinking about plain ice tech. Also CL sucks I get it if you take them on and off all the time. But they do loosen up over time, as well as new fasteners with new rotors.
Started again? This is the first time they've offered it.

Also, I believe the CL patent is up soon. May or may not be a factor.