Quantcast

Ridemonkey Bike #1

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i can possibly do the build...

oh, and i have bars, a front and rear acer deraileur set, front shifter, brake levers, rim brakes, a stem, BB, bmx crankset, wheelset, and tires. ill look for more tonight.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
I'm in for the saddle, some Deore shifters, and some v-brakes.

If you want a 13 inch frame, I'm in for that.
What size post does it take, and are you willing to ship it to AZ?

I'll pay for the build at my LBS, but I'll need some monkeys to help with the rest.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
stinkyboy said:
OK monkies, if you're serious about this, PM me and I'll give ya an address to send the parts, and I'll and post progress pix. Sounds like we have to figure out if we're going disc or rim brakes. A matching wheelset would be nice aesthetically...

Also, we'll need a kids helmet, and any other gear that parents with kids who have grown out of might have lying about, and maybe even a small RM jersey???

Edit: And prolly a decent lock too.
I got a brand new Bell helmet to donate.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
What size post does it take, and are you willing to ship it to AZ?

I'll pay for the build at my LBS, but I'll need some monkeys to help with the rest.
Yes I will. I don't know the post for sure. It is whacky, like 30.4 or something, but I have a shim for a 27.2 post. I will PM in a bit.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Here's where we are now:

Loco: 13" frame,

Splat: Small frame, tires

Kinghami: Trek Y Frame

Binary Visions: A bunch of 7 speed stuff

SB: Truvativ bar, Truvativ stem, Cane Creek headset, Kona grips

DRB: Worthless

Corey: LX cranks (Steve is sending his RF's, so please save these for the next bike)

Steve: RF cranks

Manci: Wheels (rim brakes)

Sir Knight: Helmet

You guys decide which is the best frame. (A kid may get a kick out of the Trek, if it's not too big)

Revised

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
Here's where we are now:

Loco: 13" frame, A bunch of 7 speed stuff

Corey: LX cranks

You guys decide which is the best frame. (A kid may get a kick out of the Trek, if it's not too big)
I've got an extra Y-bike rear triangle. :think:

J

JRB

Yo - the shifters are 9 speed. I don't have any 7 speed stuff. Put down the pipe, dawg.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
stinkyboy said:
Here's where we are now:

Loco: 13" frame,

Binary Visions: A bunch of 7 speed stuff

Corey: LX cranks (Steve is sending his RF's, so please save these for the next bike)

Revised

I will double check but I may have tires as well (I know I have a least one)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
stinkyboy said:
OK monkies, if you're serious about this, PM me and I'll give ya an address to send the parts, and I'll and post progress pix. Sounds like we have to figure out if we're going disc or rim brakes. A matching wheelset would be nice aesthetically...

Also, we'll need a kids helmet, and any other gear that parents with kids who have grown out of might have lying about, and maybe even a small RM jersey???

Edit: And prolly a decent lock too.
If you need a person to build the bike, I'm a shop mechanic and would be happy to put it together for you all. I don't have any parts to donate as of yet, but if I can help with either supplying stuff such as a lock or helmet orby building the bike let me know.

Hell, I might be able to hook up a small size Trek frame. I'll check at my shop when I go in today.

The Ito

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ito said:
If you need a person to build the bike, I'm a shop mechanic and would be happy to put it together for you all. I don't have any parts to donate as of yet, but if I can help with either supplying stuff such as a lock or helmet orby building the bike let me know.

Hell, I might be able to hook up a small size Trek frame. I'll check at my shop when I go in today.

The Ito
You rock! I'm having people send the parts to Phoenix, and I'll have my LBS build it, but if you could come up with the newest and bestest frame, that would be great. Put your shop's sticker on too!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I'll chime in and say that the bike would be more valuable as a gift to a kid vs. selling it on ebay. Somebody needs to look into an organization that can handle locating the kid and delivering the bike. Doing it direct would be bad if/when the Y-bike snaps in half.

As for me, I'm holding out for specific needs, such as the 111.12345mm square-taper Schwinn-specific bottom bracket request. I'm in for something, though, for sure.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ghostrider said:
Somebody needs to look into an organization that can handle locating the kid and delivering the bike. Doing it direct would be bad if/when the Y-bike snaps in half.
I talked with someone at Big Brothers in Tucson on my LBS's forum, and they are looking into finding a kid here in Phoenix.

Good call on the frame. Hopefully someone can come up with something fairly recent and reliable.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
No go on the frame. We have a 16" warranty Trek 3900(fork came broken) in my shop and while I can take it the frame must stay in the possession of an employee of the shop. I'm trying to see if I can scratch off a serial number or something, but I'm not sure if my boss is down. That said, I can take any of the parts off of it and send them over(except the fork). This may mean wheels.

Sorry about the frame, I'll see if I can find something else.

The Ito

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I can do the build on any number of bikes, I'm in Oxnard CA if thats central enogh the bike should probably be donated local to where it's built, it sounds like with a little bit of organization there are almost enogh parts in this thread for a couple shiny new steeds, what about starting a ridemonkey trips for kids chapter?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ito said:
No go on the frame. We have a 16" warranty Trek 3900(fork came broken) in my shop and while I can take it the frame must stay in the possession of an employee of the shop. I'm trying to see if I can scratch off a serial number or something, but I'm not sure if my boss is down. That said, I can take any of the parts off of it and send them over(except the fork). This may mean wheels.

Sorry about the frame, I'll see if I can find something else.

The Ito
Thanks ITO! PM sent!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Stinkerbell, I got your PM. I am looking for a box. I for the cranks also have rings to go with them.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Seems the bike is coming together. I'll take pix as soon as the parts show up. Thanks to the monkies who are throwing in! But since Robdadingus won't part with his highly valuable Rock Shox Judy, a fork is still needed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
Seems the bike is coming together. I'll take pix as soon as the parts show up. Thanks to the monkies who are throwing in! But since Robdadingus won't part with his highly valuable Rock Shox Judy, a fork is still needed.
You know........... I've got an old Marz Z2 bomber, but it would need to be rebuilt.