Quantcast

Ridemonkey Bike #1

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
All right monkies, here's the deal: Since most of you have extra bike parts laying around your place collecting dust, why not put them to good use? Combine these parts into a complete bike, (there's bike mechanics here who could do the build right?) throw some RM stickers on it, and give the bike to someone who can't afford a bike.

I'll start.

I have a brand new take off Truvativ low riser bar & stem to throw in.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
great idea!

And while a monkey who's deserving would be a great recipient, what about selling said bike on ebay and donating the proceeds to a charity that helps buy helmets for kids or something?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
great idea!

And while a monkey who's deserving would be a great recipient, what about selling said bike on ebay and donating the proceeds to a charity that helps buy helmets for kids or something?
Absolutley! Yea, I didn't mean give it to somebody who just broke their frame on a 25 foot drop. A less fortunate kid(s) indeed.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I've got a 1996 Trek Y-11 frame and a rear rim-brake wheel that is taking up space. Needs an uncut fork, but I ain't ever going to use it again and I doubt anyone will ever buy them. I really don't want to/ can't afford to pay shipping though.

(Is this your punishment from the RM gods?)

edit: did this happen before? all those ninja posts are making me feel worried.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have a bunch of misc. stuff kicking around my house. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Great idea :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i definitely have a box of stuff i could dig through. stuff like:

old xt bottom brackets
several left-side shifters (gripshift; i never broke the left one)
old suntour cranks
old 737 pedals?
saddles galore
probably a seat post or two

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
stinkyboy said:
Absolutley!
Maybe the charity of choice has a pay-pal account, so the funds go directly from the sale to the charity? Or were you thinking of donating the bike directly to said charity?

I'll look for parts when I get home. Fortunately for me, my work allows me to UPS for free :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stinkyboy said:
Who's gonna step up and do the build? This time of year, it would prolly be a better gift in the South or the West.
there's gotta be a bike shop wrench on this board who would volunteer, no?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
Maybe the charity of choice has a pay-pal account, so the funds go directly from the sale to the charity? Or were you thinking of donating the bike directly to said charity?
I was thinking it would be cool to see pix of a kid with an ear to ear smile on his face cruising a new ride. Whatever is cool with me, but I don't want to see the bike/money end up is some asshat's hands...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
stinkyboy said:
I was thinking it would be cool to see pix of a kid with an ear to ear smile on his face cruising a new ride.
brilliant idea!

Kinda like adopt-a-small-cyclist thingy.

J

JRB

I'm in for the saddle, some Deore shifters, and some v-brakes.

If you want a 13 inch frame, I'm in for that.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
If you want a 13 inch frame, I'm in for that.
Prolly a good call for a youngster.

If no one else wants to/can be the "hub" for these parts to be sent to, I could be, and have my LBS do the build.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
OK monkies, if you're serious about this, PM me and I'll give ya an address to send the parts, and I'll and post progress pix. Sounds like we have to figure out if we're going disc or rim brakes. A matching wheelset would be nice aesthetically...

Also, we'll need a kids helmet, and any other gear that parents with kids who have grown out of might have lying about, and maybe even a small RM jersey???

Edit: And prolly a decent lock too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Could you keep the first post of the thread updated with what parts are currently promised, and what is still needed? That would help for people like me who are too lazy to go through the whole thread to find out if anything I have is needed.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I bet we could build more than one too. I got a box full of misc stuff too and a rear wheel.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
TN said:
I bet we could build more than one too. I got a box full of misc stuff too and a rear wheel.
One for every state? That would be killer, and make for a great photo thread.

Oh, and one for Canada too. Anyone have an old Super Monster laying around?

:think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
All right monkies, here's the deal: Since most of you have extra bike parts laying around your place collecting dust, why not put them to good use? Combine these parts into a complete bike, (there's bike mechanics here who could do the build right?) throw some RM stickers on it, and give the bike to someone who can't afford a bike.

I'll start.

I have a brand new take off Truvativ low riser bar & stem to throw in.
Who are you and what have you done to Stinkyboy? :think: