Quantcast

Ridemonkey Bike #9 Has arrived...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
My special thanks to JDCamb who visited today.

so now it is here.

it is operating time...my roomate had a Tranz X seatpost that fits like a virgin!!! SLUTTY, he needed a saddle so we traded

missing a rear brake pad..i didnt know you boys sent me hayes til it got here...
the front derrailleur didnt fit JDC I will collect parts to go back for your donation bike program in the Roc. Special thanks for the headset I will get it installed tomorrow.

Stinkyboy thanks for the sram cassette it is 8sp but hell now i just need one right shifter a set of derrailleurs and an ergo saddle. I am raiding Sweet Petes tomorrow.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I think you would have enjoyed the singlespeed setup, but I'm glad you're happy with your new bike, Post some photos and then ride the crap out of it!

:cheers:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was an interesting trip. Always cool to meet a fellow monkey. Saw a motorcyclist dump on the trolley tracks right in front of me leaving. It took an hour for the Ambulance to show up. Dude and his girlfriend were effed up! She got spit off the bike and landed on the curb. Man the roads in Toronto are in rough shape.... Thank God I own a race car! 100KMH = 100 mph because I am an American and can't do basic math...

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
THE BIKE IS NOW COMPLETE!

I just came from the bike shop. I got sram 8spd chain, a derrailleur hangar which they are going to have to search for. A deore rear derrailleur, sram attack halfpipe right shifter + labour so they are going to intall the parts including the headset and top up the oil in the fork and have spare hayes brake pads. It will probably be ready tomorrow and all for just $200.

I guess the ergo saddle that I already own will double for the two bikes for a little while.

Holy Crap it is going to be ready tomorrow!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It was an interesting trip. Always cool to meet a fellow monkey. Saw a motorcyclist dump on the trolley tracks right in front of me leaving. It took an hour for the Ambulance to show up. Dude and his girlfriend were effed up! She got spit off the bike and landed on the curb. Man the roads in Toronto are in rough shape.... Thank God I own a race car! 100KMH = 100 mph because I am an American and can't do basic math...
Thanks for your help JD!

:cheers:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
THE BIKE IS NOW COMPLETE!

I just came from the bike shop. I got sram 8spd chain, a derrailleur hangar which they are going to have to search for. A deore rear derrailleur, sram attack halfpipe right shifter + labour so they are going to intall the parts including the headset and top up the oil in the fork and have spare hayes brake pads. It will probably be ready tomorrow and all for just $200.

I guess the ergo saddle that I already own will double for the two bikes for a little while.

Holy Crap it is going to be ready tomorrow!

All At Sweet Petes? I knew that hanger would work...

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
my mom has donated a kodak easyshare camera that has video capabilities.

wow my first digital camera. it used to be all polaroid and disposable cameras then id scan the pictures after getting them developed. Too bad those old threads and pictures do not exist, unless ridemonkey has started converting threads into time capsules

Attachments

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I still think this bike shoulda been given to a kid.
Nah I truly believe that DN needed this bike. It is a blessing IMO. I am hoping that it will facilitate/inspire a better life for not only him but others around him. This bike will help a lot of others out too. He needs an outlet that the bike will help provide. My impression is that he is a part of a community that doesn't get much help. All of the monkeys who contributed to this bike should feel good about your contributions. It's good to help a fellow monkey out! I will personally watch over things to make sure it is utilized as intended. I will be back up there next month and he will be going for a ride with me and I will post here how it goes.

Jim

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
The news about the remaining part. It is being ordered from a company called orange and best case scenario it comes this friday and most likely case scenario is that it comes sometime next week. Still getting parts on order from the LBS in the peak of bike season within two weeks is a big accomplishment. side note, sweet petes has told me a week wait before just to call me back the next day with the part so anything can happen really.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Why did DN get a bike?
I havent had a bike in four years this is the second one offered at Ridemonkey. Loonatic offered me one as well years ago. I was trying to get back into MTB Epic XC exactly and there is a thread around here of when I turned some wrench at my LBS...anyway it led to a vote about one of the donation bikes there was a sticky thread for a month.

Anyway I have been doing volunteer work helping the homeless for nearly the past 3.5 years. It is not always what I can do for them but what the program that I am involved with does. (a private organization dedicated to helping homelessness and the recovery period afterward) Basically they reach out to people within the shelter system and help them find: housing, medical attention, apply for citizenship and represent individuals that have to deal with criminal charges + they offer councelling. So being a volunteer for so long I have developed an inner code. If one of us gets something nice we share it with everyone else..

So the plan is that I will get a second helmet and bring my commuter bike to the trail also liquids and munchies and camera etc and give some of the boys some of their first Riding Time. This is a public forum and it has been discussed by everyone that our identities will remain confidential as well as our stories regarding medical diagnosis and living arrangements.

You may see others wearing the Egyptian turban that my mom recently gave me as a souvenir. Anyway there are no waivers being signed so it is not officially something the drop in is doing for people but because everyone has downtime in these shelters seeing the country part of the city will be fun for people.

There will be videos, pictures and discussions about what people think of the donation bike.

Last edited:

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
This is a first time opportunity for alot of the fellas. I don't like to say it but there are alot of disadvantaged people who live in poverty here and always have their entire lives.

I cannot teach people to ride professionally, i cant teach at all. There are laws regarding this here. So I have to make due. I had a finding out period in my life once as well where lots of crashing was involved. Basic armour was required to prevent the injuries from coming in every ride for me. Forearm/elbow armour, shin protection and a camelback which provided needed hydration and back covering. I dont want a lawsuit so that is how it will be. At the end of the month I will get what else is needed so that we can begin these rides.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
I got it in the mail today...now they will know where the bike came from. There are three people who have already expressed interest on going riding with me and I haven't brought it in to the drop in yet. One of them is a volunteer like me from the same drop in and has another video/photo camera as well

Attachments

Last edited:

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
well more news about the part today. Since it is backordered basically Orange hasnt received the part yet from the manufacturer. It will take them one week to get the order to the bike shop. This may take too long.

Other news: I went there looking at armour too. Apparently Roach went defunkt 6 years ago. So now I have to find someone else that makes forearm elbow armour. The cost of armour overall has skyrocketed over the years though. The nicest thing to see was that they still make the Camelbak Mule...and they have one in green.

Last edited:

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Why didn't you just leave it as is and ride the bike while waiting for the mystery part to arrive????? :confused:
Some of the singlespeed parts were removed before shipping the bike to me. (the singlespeed cog was donated back to JDCamb) There was no point in sending me the Paul chain tensioner. (it was very valuable, + for stinkyboy to cover all the expenses for putting the bike together was unreasonable. I donated some extra funds back to help out the situation) I am grateful that it was traded for an 8spd cassette.

It was the derailleur hangar which was damaged during shipping. The bike was not professionally boxed. Whatever the reason I bought all the needed parts to put gears on it and paid the shop labour. I usually do the work myself but it was easier to pay the shop $40 and cheaper than buying a bunch of tools and parts to do it myself.

The bike was missing some parts to be complete which JDCambs donation bike program provided. (headset, front derailleur) I have two singlespeed chains here to give back to the program in Rochester that JDCamb runs.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It was the derailleur hangar which was damaged during shipping. The bike was not professionally boxed.
There was no hanger. The bike was a kick ass singlespeed that got raped to your specs and I guess I should have covered it in angel feathers before shipping huh?

Never again.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
You complained about a bike that was donated to you for free.
what complaint? I am not stupid you know. People only do charity to feel good about themselves. Feeling good=cash payment. I have been reading peoples posts here gauging about how much cheering up some of you need in you lives through your persistence. Seriously if you dont want to watch the ensuing posts simply use the ignore Drunken_Ninja feature on your browser and seriously go buy some drugs for your sober @sses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.