Quantcast

RideMonkey DJ Special

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been working on this bike for a couple months. My 5 year old K2 had seen much heavy use and was due for retirement, but the bike had some upgraded parts in good shape, particularly the Halo Combat wheels. I began looking for some cheep partz to build a new jump/play bike.

I found the frame and fork in the RideMonkey classifieds, a fair condition 2005 Soul Cycles Roscoe and a nice 2007 Marz DJ4, for less than $200 total.

The NS District bars, Kink stem, Drop Buster chain, Shadow seat, ODI BMX Locking grips and DMR Moto RT tires were bought new for about $200.

The Halo Combat wheels, 160mm Avid BB7 brake and FSA V Drive cranks were from the old bike.

Pretty cool for what was going to be a pity build. My cost was less than $400.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The frame was carried into the auto parts store to match with correct touch up paint. (Cardinal red.) The horrible, horrible stock stickers were carefully scraped off. The frame is pretty clean now.

I removed the preload mech from the fork and cut some nylon shims to preload the fork. The front fork is very stiff.

The chainstays are 16.5 with the rear wheel all the way forward and the fork is 80mm to steepen the head angle. It rolls fast with the SS gear setup, DMR RT tires and stiff fork.

I built it for DJing and hotdogging, but I found it's a blast to sprint through the woods on too.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Cool budget build. You could have saved even more had you just bought BMX grips. I no longer can spare to pay the ridiculous cost for lock-ons. I even run BMX grips on my DH, SS-Road and AM bikes.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Let me know how that thing jumps. I need a new dj frame and that was on the list. Can't afford most dj frames and since I already have a Soul Cycles Titan that I xc on I figured maybe I would pick up another Soul Cycles to dj on. thanks

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I think the Roscoe was discontinued. Anyway, I think it handles nice with the 80mm fork and the rear wheel slammed. Quick handling without being scary. Seems like it might be a little slow with the wheel further back in the dropouts and a 100mm fork.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
so that's what you did w/ my old fork :D looks very nice :thumb: did you get the frame from untitledsince89? i think he was selling it. if so, kind of cool that you got the frame/fork from almost the same zipcode ;)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
so that's what you did w/ my old fork :D looks very nice :thumb: did you get the frame from untitledsince89? i think he was selling it. if so, kind of cool that you got the frame/fork from almost the same zipcode ;)
Sure did. I didn't even realize it was from the same area.

The bars are very nice. The 22.2 bars plus bmx stem is awesome.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Here's something cool about the Roscoe frame. If you run 32/16 gearing, you can remove the chain tugs and move the wheel all the way forward. The chain will then fit perfect without even a half link.

I have a tensioner on because the brand new chain is a little tight. It'll come back off in a couple weeks.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Looking at some used $40 Profile BMX cranks/spindle for the front, via clist. I'm sure they will need paint, but that's no problem. I already have a nice new FSA chainwheel (ebay $15), so I'd just need a Euro BB.