Quantcast

Ridemonkey get together in Europe this summer?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Happy New Year to All monkeys- especially the European ones:D !

I've been thinking on why this "Europe" forum here, isn't more active?:confused: .... as i see it, we're a bunch of Euro's around, but not very active here in general... so is it possible to speed it up a little!?:rolleyes:

If any of you want to make this forum more active- please post some more treads here, as well as we could try to organise some European "get together's" during this coming year- 2002!;)

I know of a bunch of other Danish riders who often goes to places as Germany- France and Austria, to ride and hang out in general!.... and i've been more than jealous;) about the activity on the other side of the pond :D ... that's why i think we allready should start to find some fixed dates during this summer, and start some meetings!... aka- RM Camps, maybe at events like the european WC meetings, World Champs in Kaprun, or maybe a week of DH'ing in Let Gets this August?.... we're allready some planning on going to France and Rock n' Roll:D

Keep your inputs coming.... and happy trails! ;)

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah, you're propably right about the bus. It would be a mess to organize, and it would also be very expensive. I could imagine...

Lets try to make a list of different places:

My suggestions...
(from north to south)
Norway/Sweden: i'm not all sure what's up there though...
Germany: Willingen/BMW BP/other? Maybe the bike show at Willngen.
Austria: Kaprun
France: Les gets (megavalanche)

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

The only prob I see (for me, at least) with this is that most of these events/locations are DH oriented. Cool, everyone meets at the BMW Bikepark - what does that leave for the non DH/DS crowd to do? I don't do pit work and sag support for folks I don't know....

Let's first meet in one city, one bar. Have beers, talk about what mighty riders we are - then plan on riding together.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
This post originally started in the DH forum, so therefore we haven't thought much about anything else. I think we'll get back to this on a later date.

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

The only prob I see (for me, at least) with this is that most of these events/locations are DH oriented. Cool, everyone meets at the BMW Bikepark - what does that leave for the non DH/DS crowd to do? I don't do pit work and sag support for folks I don't know....

Let's first meet in one city, one bar. Have beers, talk about what mighty riders we are - then plan on riding together.
both willingen and the BMW bike park have tons of XC trails, for instance willingen has over 300 km hilly XC trails, you wouldn't have the time to ride them all, there's so many of them.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Originally posted by Mr. ShockWave
Both Willingen and the BMW bike park have tons of XC trails, for instance willingen has over 300 km hilly XC trails, you wouldn't have the time to ride them all, there's so many of them.
Now that's what I'm talking about! I need to get further south in the future!

Now you have me interested! When will we all be meeting?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Servus!

Now you have me interested! When will we all be meeting?
Same here!.. i ride pretty much everything- on different bikes though!;)

What about meeting at the Bike festival at the Garda lake- Italy!

I dunno much about the event yet- but i've heard tons about it, and there are many trails rideable for both dh'ers and xc'ers....!

I can check up on it, and return with some more useful info... as i've been away for more than a week here... [comp. problems...:angryfire ]

Later guys-

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Steen - when is the Garda festival? I gotta plan for this stuff months in advance - my wife desires it so...

Garda sounds cool - a bit far South, though. PGR, Shockwave, what are your opinions?

Let's have the only true Ridemonkey get-together long before the American contingent does!

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Well, I've heard good thing about the Garda area, when it comes to riding. It's in northern Italy right? Since it's so far South, we will be able to have the get-together sooner.

The area around Lake Garda is packed with tourists in the summer...

I'm not much of a cross-country rider. I have an XC bike, but I'm actually thinking about selling it. I haven't ridden it since September.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
I can see that you have been doing some research yourself, while i've been away!

I'm allmost certain to go to Garda- and the Bike Festival in May!:D ... i know some guys that's been there for 3 years in a row, and they say it's jampacked action 24 hours a day [and night:rolleyes: ]

But there will allso be some German events we might meet up at, at have the first true RM get together..... it could be fun to post a big article with pics and all.....:p

Think about it, and return....!

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Shockwave, the German site is no problem for me - I've been living here in Karlsruhe for five years now.

Plenty of German events to go to - just need to find a couple!

Garda sounds sweet, beginning of May doesn't. I've got something big going about that same time :(
Is there a online listing of all MTB events in Europe?

Steen - you could do a small article about it in your magazine! Something to the effect of "International meeting of friends"

PGR - fear not the XC! At least you have more than one bike!

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
here are some I know off http://www.bike-magazin.de/events/eve02_uebersicht.htm
Maybe we could also meet in Willingen in June, or at the UCI World Championship in Kaprun (Austria) around the weekend of 31/08 or at the UCI race at Les Gets (France) around the weekend of 08/09. but then we are not able to ride, as only the pro are allowed on the course :(.
tell me what you think of this.

And Ranger, Karlsruhe?? and you're a DH'er? then your lucky to have Bad Wildbad closeby!!

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Shockwave - I think that last crash effected your memory.... :wink:

I'm cross-country all the way, no 25 kg fully for this guy - no sir!

The Willingen Festival in June looks good - pretty central for all of us. Any thoughts? Would like just to hang out with someone that speaks a bit of English and drink beers while talking about bikes!

Nizmeister is real close to you all as well - Düsseldorf, if I am correct. We should get him in on this as well.

Shock - where you at?

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Servus!

Shockwave - I think that last crash effected your memory.... :wink:

I'm cross-country all the way, no 25 kg fully for this guy - no sir!

The Willingen Festival in June looks good - pretty central for all of us. Any thoughts? Would like just to hang out with someone that speaks a bit of English and drink beers while talking about bikes!

Nizmeister is real close to you all as well - Düsseldorf, if I am correct. We should get him in on this as well.

Shock - where you at?
Servers!

I am in D-Dorf! Cannot make any weekend though! I fly home!

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
as you could see next to my name :D
I live in Zwolle, the Netherlands
and Willingen is about 350 KM away for me, so also very duable.
and because it is in june 14-16, were ahead of the meeting of those damn:D Americans (just kidding;) )

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
All your talk seems very nice:D

I'm pretty sure i'll be going to the Garda event, and propably allso the one in Willingen... both should be some of the best events around Europe!

Kaprun is a must go event.... pretty close to my place- some 1300km's, an a World Champs.... not to be missed!

But anyway- we got plenty of time to arrange the details.... and get together before the US dudes!;)

I might bring both my XC bike- and my fullsuss.... depending on if i get yet another DH rig set up before....:rolleyes: :confused: .. so well be able to perform at all the different tracks!;)must

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Are the Am's planing on having a camp?

We should have a banner or something, to represent!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm going to be in France this summer for the Transvesubienne. (sp?) Anyone heard anything about this race?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Originally posted by Mr. ShockWave
at least willingen will be camping.....
Well my dear ;) - doesn't real bikers prefer tents... easier to smuggle beers in and so on!

Heidi!.... what on earth are you doing here!?...:D read this stuff about your race there http://www.avalanchecup.com/trans/sommaire.html

If you're not into Lé French languagé- try some of the halfbreeds on the dh board ;)

Gimme a mail- if i shall find some more info on France... or join us this summer... when will you be around?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

PGR - you are correct, I am American.

Heidi - I thought that the whole France/Europe thing went under when they cancelled that race in Switzerland? When are you travelling?

Willingen sounds like it would rock. No challenge with tentage for me and my stuff. June kinda sucks, but if I can I'll make some planning changes to get it in.

So, am I correct to say that we will elect Steen to be our organizer? :eek: :wink: :D

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!

So, am I correct to say that we will elect Steen to be our organizer? :eek: :wink: :D
Ok :rolleyes: ... damn... i got elected!

When time comes- i'll post some more detailed info on the Willingen gathering... i know that some of the local dudes from my club are coming as well- so we might allready be some 6-8-10 guys from Copenhagen heading down there!:D

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Cool Shockwave!;) .. you're my man!

I found this info on the Willingen Bikefestival- on www.bike-magazin.de/- and here it goes:

The outdoor fair workstation in Willingen bursts already from all seams. at least on the paper. Over 140 exhibitors to Germany largest BIKE Festival are expected. They will load their Trucks again to under the cover with test material.
And in order to enable to the 20000 visitors extensive test travels, the city Willingen invested this year correctly. 70000 euro are in the fire-new and even Worldcup suited Downhill distance at the Ettelsberg! The past Bike park from Freeride test track, CROSS Country test track and Testparcours are additionally up-polished.
Marathon: The routes are certain already: The large round: 129 km/3282 TC, the middle round: 99 km/2574 TC, the small round: 52 km/1293 TC protects to you now already times the good start numbers!
Prices only BIKE Festival Willingen (entrance on the Festivalgelaende from 14.-16 June 02). > 26 euro per person. Only BIKE Marathon Willingen on 16 June 02. > 36 euro per person. Combination package BIKE Festival Willingen + BIKE Marathon Willingen. > 47 euro per person.
The complete program with child day, detailed Marathon distance, route program, Trial Shows, Past parties, exhibitor list, driving technique min arene, Fun Contests and much more besides gibt.s as special edition in the May output of BIKE. Accommodations: Willingen offers a special overnight accomodation supply inclusive Festival Package (starting from 107 euro!) Info.: Tel. 05632/401180, www.willingen.de

That's about it for now.. i'll find more later on!:D

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
also here some extra info they will NEVER post :think:

there is an sesselbahn but on saturday and sunday the waiting time will be about 45 min to an hour before you can get on the sesselbahn :angryfire .

The "DH" strecke (if it is still the same, witch I think it is) is a piece of **** :( . The y say every year that there will be a new one, but till now it has always been a big lie :think: .
The "DH"strecke that they have is more like an roadtrack that is a bit sloping, no funny big stuf what so ever, but then, you can ride even with your Hardtail down the hill. also Fullface is not very needed, just an helmet is fine enough, at least wear one!

If we do have to stay in tents, there is very close to the festival terrain an grass:rolleyes: field :D where you can set up your tent where ever you want, last year the cost for the tent were 40 Dm so it will be some 18 - 20 Euro this year. this is for the whole weekend, and pay when you get there, or you will be waken before 6:00 AM (not a pleasant idea after a ruff night)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Steen Good Legs

Well my dear ;) - doesn't real bikers prefer tents... easier to smuggle beers in and so on!

Heidi!.... what on earth are you doing here!?...:D read this stuff about your race there http://www.avalanchecup.com/trans/sommaire.html

If you're not into Lé French languagé- try some of the halfbreeds on the dh board ;)

Gimme a mail- if i shall find some more info on France... or join us this summer... when will you be around?
Yes, I tried to translate that page but it didn't work so well. I really know very little about the race. Just that it's supposed to take around 8 hours, very scenic and treacherous, starts at the top of some Col (6000') and ends down in Nice. I may kill myself. I will be in Cannes the first week of June - staying with a friend.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus! ©

Hey PGR, Steen, and the rest - we need to start thinking about the summer get-together! I ACTUALLY saw teh sun today and that made me charge out the door. bike in hand, stoked to hit the trails!

Just a friendly reminder! BTW - Steen, loved the Swedish post!

:D

What do we all think?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Ok! Listen up! :D

i'm seriously planning a trip to the Bike Festival at Lake Garda- north Italy, the days 2-5'th of May!

You'll be able to see further details at:http://www.bike-magazin.de/

There is allso the bikeFestival in Willingen, from 14- 15 of June!... the adress is: http://www.willingen.de/

Which one to choose...?.... i dunno- but some of the guys here from DK, are planning on hitting the trails in Willingen.... :D

I'll check up on it- and be back later!;)

Apr 1, 2002
Willingen is a bigger show, than Garda! But the mountains is somehow a better scene for a meating....

One big problem with Garda is that there is no lifts at all. It meanes that you have to use shuttels (or bike up :-(

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Also, air-time in Willingen is very limited. At least it was the last time I was there. (September)

In Garda: Is it public trails or only mtb specific? I'm talking downhill.

Are you MOP from DMK (mtb.dk)... Just wondering?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Originally posted by PGR

Are you MOP from DMK (mtb.dk)... Just wondering?
It's the Master himself :D

I still dunno if i'll make it to Garda- i've talked to some other guys here- they are fresh, but lack the finances...:(

Willingen is a sure thing- some guys from here was there during Easter holidays, don't know yet how it was...

Later-

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
I've just talked with a German guy, who was in Willingen during this past weekend. He said that everything looked like it did a year ago.

He had also read in a local newspaper, that "they" (Willingen trail builders?) had received 100.000 euro, for the new trail. So who knows... Maybe they'll get it done before the bike show.