Quantcast

Ridemonkey group rides on Zwift

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So, I've tried a couple of other apps, and I dig Zwift. It works the best so far, it's the most engaging, it's fun, and I've done some group rides organized on another forum that were pretty neat. I know @6thElement and his missus are on Rouvy, and they don't need/want/care about the social or racing aspect of Zwift and that works for them, I'm not judging. But I don't have an S.O. sitting next to me on her own trainer in the pain cave, so the social group ride aspect of Zwift is working for me. I dig it. And there's actual workout plans to follow, should I choose to.

So if you're on Zwift, feel free to give me a follow and I'll follow back. Currently my name is the same as my RM handle over there. And if there's enough interest, we could even get a group ride / meetup going, where it'd just be RM members visible to each other. It could be cool.

EDIT:
So I set up an interest/signup form to capture people's real/Zwift names to match up with their RM handles. SO if you're interested, give me a follow on Zwift (Full Trucker) and then hit this link to let me know what your real/Zwift name is so I can invite you to any meetup rides we decide to do.

Ridemonkey Zwift Group Riders

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've done one ride first thing in the a.m. but more normally I'm riding "after work" -- whether it's inside or outside. So usually around 5-6pm MT. But sometimes I can be on later, I haven't really set anything in stone yet.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’m in to spin.
heh.
That sounds funny
I see enough of you already.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if there is a similar app for beer drinking?
Zoom?

I followed you on the companion app. I'd be down for a group ride, but I usually hit the trainer before 5PM EST on weekdays.
Right on, I followed you back. I guess I should figure out a system to keep track of who's who so I can set up the meetups and such. Google Sheets, here I come...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I figure if there's enough interest to actually make something happen, we can setup a Doodle poll or some other thing to figure out a day/time that might work for most folks.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So I set up an interest/signup form to capture people's real/Zwift names to match up with their RM handles. SO if you're interested, give me a follow on Zwift (Full Trucker) and then hit this link to let me know what your real/Zwift name is so I can invite you to any meetup rides we decide to do.

Ridemonkey Zwift Group Riders

@amishmatt and @rideit I already entered your Zwift name and RM handle so don't worry about it. I'll send you each a link to "edit" the entry so you can add a comment or your email address or whatever if you want.

(I added this same info to the first post in this thread as well)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still want a Zwift/Road Rash style video game.

Gang of Monkeys on pedal bikes raining destruction down upon society.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Zwift is $15 a month now?
Sounds about right, one of the reasons I ended up on Rouvy which cost $67 for 6 months for two of us.

I might try fullgaz next winter as that looks pretty good, not sure on their pricing though...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds about right, one of the reasons I ended up on Rouvy which cost $67 for 6 months for two of us.

I might try fullgaz next winter as that looks pretty good, not sure on their pricing though...
I mean, the idea of zwift is cool, but it's not $180 a year cool. Even when it launched it wasn't $120 a year cool.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Must have had a tailwind today. I use a Richmond lap as my baseline. Starting to see some improvements. Average power for 30 minutes is up 20 watts.

Screenshot_20210209-192442.png

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I think I am seeing some small gains here and there, but haven't really been doing this "riding indoors" thing long enough to make much of a difference I don't think. Still riding outside a little bit as well, but the snow finally started snowing so skiing has gotten better. But I do have this new fat bike...

#firstworldproblems

I haven't given up on the idea of a Ridemonkey group ride, just not sure when it could happen.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This is where TrainerRoad is lacking, but then again it works well if you are a one man wolf pack.

Also my FTP is up 17 watts after a test last week so now all my previous hard workouts have been elevated to "ass kicker" status until my legs can catch back up. Whoa, sorry to go off on that wild tangent there.....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hello frens. I just added a req for group rides. I'm guessing most folks are actually riding outdoors right now, but I enjoy hopping on the trainer at 5am rather than not riding at all. It also allows me to do structured workouts vs. out wheezing.

I suppose this will get more busy in the winter, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
hello frens. I just added a req for group rides. I'm guessing most folks are actually riding outdoors right now, but I enjoy hopping on the trainer at 5am rather than not riding at all. It also allows me to do structured workouts vs. out wheezing.

I suppose this will get more busy in the winter, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring.
Yeah, I haven't actually done anything to try and get anything together for group rides. But I will likely start getting serious about that when it starts getting cold out. Also... I'll have a BRAND NEW PAIN CAVE to set up, since we're buying a new house. Oh dang!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I will look into it by the end of September, as long as it doesn't require a smart trainer I'll give it a go. Regularly scheduled "peer pressure" has always worked for me.

EDIT: does require a smart trainer so good excuse to dump the cycleops (free to anyone who can lift it). What trainers are you guys using, what would you rather be using?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I will look into it by the end of September, as long as it doesn't require a smart trainer I'll give it a go. Regularly scheduled "peer pressure" has always worked for me.

EDIT: does require a smart trainer so good excuse to dump the cycleops (free to anyone who can lift it). What trainers are you guys using, what would you rather be using?

Saris H3. Not cheap, no complaints.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Saris H3. Not cheap, no complaints.
Are you using a road or mtb cassette? I prefer road bike position for trainers but could try the hardtail and cheaper cassette. This model does not accept campy cassettes - the only road cassette I have spare for. I'm not willing to use a Sram or Shimano cassette with my Chorus kit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you using a road or mtb cassette? I prefer road bike position for trainers but could try the hardtail and cheaper cassette. This model does not accept campy cassettes - the only road cassette I have spare for. I'm not willing to use a Sram or Shimano cassette with my Chorus kit.

Road bike. I think you kind of need the taller gearing for things like Zwift for the resistance to feel right. Probably doesn't make a difference if you are manually dialing in the resistance.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Got it. I'm running 53/42 rings and 13/26 sprockets which is plenty tall for me. I have an old postal trek that I can try, too large for me but may work for a trainer. It has 105 and a triple...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got it. I'm running 53/42 rings and 13/26 sprockets which is plenty tall for me. I have an old postal trek that I can try, too large for me but may work for a trainer. It has 105 and a triple...

A shorter stem should make it fit you and perfectly fine for trainer use.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'll start sorting out how this will work. Fortunately, I post on a ski forum where they have group rides twice a week and I have a sense of how they organize and plan it. I'll get a PM going to the people who have responded to the Google form we can go from there. Basically the thing is I don't want to invade anyone's privacy and make a real name public without the consent of that person. So if you use your real name on Zwift and don't want RM people to know your real name, maybe don't join up for rides? But personally I won't name any names on this forum, and I'd appreciate the same. Not that I really care if you people know my name, but maybe I don't want forum lurkers who aren't RM members/regulars knowing it? I don't know. PM incoming.