Quantcast

Ridemonkey Secret Santa 2020

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Welcome, Monkeys, to the Ridemonkey Secret Santa 2020: Coronavirus Edition. Please read the entire post, as some things have changed.

Have you been a good boy or girl this year? Have you quarantined to the point that that you are indistinguishable from the hobos drinking wine out of bags under the highway overpass? Are you considering buying a typewriter and striking up conversations with imaginary bartenders?

Well congratulations, you deserve a CoronaGift - the most effective way to deliver virus particles across state lines!

This year will be a tiny bit different: between the inability to shop locally and the USPS being a little less predictable, I'm going to ask that all packages be postmarked (not delivered) by Christmas Eve. I hope that gives people a little more leeway in their shopping and shipping.

Interested but don't know what to expect? Check out past threads to see discussion and photos of the gifts!

Secret Santa: 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

Rules and Requirements:
  • You must be a Ridemonkey member in the US, Canada or the EU, registered on or before January 1st, 2020.
  • The guideline for spend is typically around $35. Some people do more, that's fine, but this isn't intended to be a cheap crap exchange.
  • Pairing is randomized, and you will not be buying for the person who is buying for you.
  • External packaging must be work safe. Internal packaging is up to you.
  • Tracking numbers must be sent to rmsecretsanta@gmail.com
  • Failure to send a gift will result in a permanent ban
Safety Requirements (new for 2020):
  • If you are feeling ill, or have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, do not pack or handle the presents. If this delays your package, contact me immediately. We will work something out.
  • People receiving gifts are encouraged to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer after opening their gifts.

How To Enter:
Send an email to rmsecretsanta@gmail.com with the following form, preferably listing 3-5 items under $35. Include size or other details. PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS FORM INTO YOUR EMAIL:

Username:​
Full Name:​
Address Line 1:​
Address Line 2:​
Phone # (only used in case of lost packages):​
Wish List:​

Dates:
  • November 29th: Enrollment closes. All emails must be sent by midnight on November 29th.
  • December 2nd: All entrants will receive their pairing information.
  • December 24th: All gifts must be postmarked on or before Christmas Eve.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but is it feasible to try and remain within country borders to for the pairing? I'm skeptical beer will be able to get across international borders...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but is it feasible to try and remain within country borders to for the pairing? I'm skeptical beer will be able to get across international borders...
yeh sounds like using Canada Post/USPS is a total no go for that. But if you ship with FedEx/UPS and label it as pop, it might get through? Or it could be considered smuggling.

:panic:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm only pairing EU monkeys with other EU monkeys, but we've been doing Canada/US successfully for a few years now. I can't remember what the presents looked like on the cross-border exchanges.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shit. I'm really bad at remembering stuff like this.
Christmas for me is split between 4 households and sorting out presents every year really isn't my forte. The price to pay for being such a prolific shagger I suppose.
everyone gets a haggis for xmas

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
nah, just pointing out the irony of people complaining about getting caught.
Isn't it illegal to ship beer across state lines too, unless you have a license or some other mumbo jumbo? If true, the irony of you pointing out irony, is ironic considering yall do it too. :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It'd be a shame if there were a glitch in my pairing script and everyone got me as their elf.

A real shame.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
that would mark the third time you would be my elf.
Oh man, I had completely forgotten that you bought for me waaay back (as well as recently, of course). Did you find me the Dogfish Head 120 minute? This has to be like 10 years ago.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It'd be a shame if there were a glitch in my pairing script and everyone got me as their elf.

A real shame.
I'm currently having to oversee an anonymous road paving ballot for the private roads in our HOA. I said to my wife the other day it would be a fine result if the vote "passed".

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What happens if there is an uneven number of participants? Do you need to solicit another monkey to join the madness?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What happens if there is an uneven number of participants? Do you need to solicit another monkey to join the madness?
:confused:

Why would you need an even number of participants? If I have 3 users:

A > C
B > A
C > B

We've had uneven participants many years.