Quantcast

RideMonkey's Home Designer Challenge

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, as one house approaches completion this week, I have another spec that is having the sheetrock taped, mudded, and floated out.

Cab's and trim are scheduled for next week and the week after that, it's paint time.

So, now is your chance to give me your ideas and thoughts on interior finishes. Keep in mind my budget for flooring is $6100 and my kitchen countertops is $3000.

The house is 1724_sf heated. It has a combo kitchen/dining area that is open to the living room.

Under consideration right now is the cabinet wood... choice between alderwood ($$) and maple ($). Alderwood take stain a lot better than the tightly grained maple. Maple looks great with a natural finish.

Design ideas being considered at the moment include a natural maple finish on the cab's, a slate floor in the kitchen/dining/baths/and entry way. Walls could some kind of a medium to light gray.

I know a lot of you have your own ideas of what looks good... pic's would be helpful.

J

JRB

Is this on the house with the mortar??? If so, just put bunch of pallets inside. Anyone that would like that mud work won't care if their cabinets are made of pallets.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Go with a glazed maple or alder, in a coffee/toffee color, for flooring go with a 18" or 24" Travertine tile and granite counter tops (bull nosed this time)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
Go with a glazed maple or alder, in a coffee/toffee color, for flooring go with a 18" or 24" Travertine tile and granite counter tops (bull nosed this time)

Humm.. I like that fruitwood stained cab in potroast's house...

Travertine is great too... not a cold and formal as marble. And the bigger the tile the better.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
staining natural wood, imo, is dumb. let the wood stand on its own. unless you need to weatherproof, for outside applications.

Well, my choices are limited by budget to oak, maple and alderwood.

Oak is the cheapest. I'd love to have a budget that would let me install black walnut or something along those lines...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:

Oak is the cheapest. I'd love to have a budget that would let me install black walnut or something along those lines...
are you fixated on dark cabinets?

is it all hardwood, or just the cabinet door face which is 100% wood?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a large pile of rough quartersawn red oak planks drying in my basemet that will eventually be my new kitchen cabinets. They will be natural with a protective covering of poly.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
are you fixated on dark cabinets?

is it all hardwood, or just the cabinet door face which is 100% wood?

I guess we installed so damn many white painted and white pickled cabinets back in the late 90's that I've gone over to the dark side.

Everything I did used to do was very-very neutral.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
N8 said:

Oak is my least favorite wood. I generally refer to plane-sawn oak as the bich-wood of america. Since it was used in every single condo built in the 80's. (quarter-sawn looks way sweet though)

Between maple and alder, it depends on the style of the house.
I built a house with knotty alder cabs stained a medium honey color, hickory floors, neutral walls, white trim, granite tops, etc. (the "knotty" in knotty alder is key. I did another kitchen in plain alder and it didn't have remotely the same feel)

Nothing too bold, but when it was nicely furnished it had an extremely comfortable atmosphere.

Maple seems to go well with a lot of modern style homes. A lot of the apts and "luxury" condo's I'm building have maple cabinets and more modern wall colors.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Biscuit said:
Oak is my least favorite wood. I generally refer to plane-sawn oak as the bich-wood of america. Since it was used in every single condo built in the 80's. (quarter-sawn looks way sweet though)

Between maple and alder, it depends on the style of the house.
I built a house with knotty alder cabs stained a medium honey color, hickory floors, neutral walls, white trim, granite tops, etc. (the "knotty" in knotty alder is key. I did another kitchen in plain alder and it didn't have remotely the same feel)

Nothing too bold, but when it was nicely furnished it had an extremely comfortable atmosphere.

Maple seems to go well with a lot of modern style homes. A lot of the apts and "luxury" condo's I'm building have maple cabinets and more modern wall colors.
natural finished maple right? Like the floor of my last house..? what are the wall colors?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
N8 said:
natural finished maple right? Like the floor of my last house..? what are the wall colors?
It depends on the room. But the goal seems to be contrast with consistent tone.

The paint color is kindof coordinated with the countertops in the baths and kitchens

Bathroom c-tops are a grey/blue. So the walls are a bolder greyish-bluish mid tone.

Actual paint colors for one building:
Benj Moor HC114, Sagebrook Sage (light green)
Ralph Lauren SA06B, Serengeti (brown/tan)
Benj Moore HC124, Caldwell Green (dark green)
Benj Moore 2080-10, Raspberry Truffle (red)

The red and tan were the primary wall colors. Accent wall type of details. All ceilings were painted (no white). All the trim was painted to match the wall (baseboard, casing, etc). Doors were birch (like maple).

The two greens were used more as ceiling accents for soffits in the large, loft-style main room.

All of these colors went very well together and looked great with aluminum, stainless, and black accents.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Biscuit said:
It depends on the room. But the goal seems to be contrast with consistent tone.

The paint color is kindof coordinated with the countertops in the baths and kitchens

Bathroom c-tops are a grey/blue. So the walls are a bolder greyish-bluish mid tone.

Actual paint colors for one building:
Benj Moor HC114, Sagebrook Sage (light green)
Ralph Lauren SA06B, Serengeti (brown/tan)
Benj Moore HC124, Caldwell Green (dark green)
Benj Moore 2080-10, Raspberry Truffle (red)

The red and tan were the primary wall colors. Accent wall type of details. All ceilings were painted (no white). All the trim was painted to match the wall (baseboard, casing, etc). Doors were birch (like maple).

The two greens were used more as ceiling accents for soffits in the large, loft-style main room.

All of these colors went very well together and looked great with aluminum, stainless, and black accents.
Cool! How about snapping some pic's sometime?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Here's some pics of an entertainment center / mantle that I built when I used to build cabinets. It is stained cherry.
The flat panel in the middle is where the plasma mounts.
The tile is a green granite, walls are a mustard color. Floors are birch.

What you can't see is how f*ing messed up the fireplace and framing was that I covered up.
The whole house was out of square (look very closely at the ceiling/crown/cabinet squareness - I disguised it well).
The blue wires hanging from the mantle are for recessed puck lights.

The kitchen in the same house.
The backsplash and lighting is what really brought it together.
All lighs are on dimmers, so, yes, it does get brighter.

The splash closeup. These were actually ugly 12x12 tiles we cut down. (they were extremely ugly, but the colors worked perfect).

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
As for the red/tan green/green colors I listed above.
Below are the best pics I have right now. These are the 1st floor commercial spaces, we had a sewage backup that flooded it.

Fun, fun, fun... e coli what?

The lobby before we tore it apart. Notice the red ceiling.
The floor is clear bamboo. This is the only area with wood base.

After tearing it up. But you can see the accent color thing.

The hallway. Notice the red ceiling, painted base, alum frame, birch door.

A conveniently flooded office...

The hall leading to the public restroom.
Light green with dark green ceiling.

And I'm spent.

I'll have to try to take more pics that show how good things look. Not just documenting whats wrong with them.