Quantcast

Ridemonkey's New Look...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I really Dig the PM features :thumb:

Now I can DL all of them, and keep my PM box clean instead of being called a frikkin NEWB!

EDIT: as long as we are saying the things we miss, the little time and date that somthing was posted that was in the user box was a reallllly nice feature. You should bring that back :D

And what does the reason for editing box do?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
whydobirdssuddenlyappeareverytimeyou arenear
justlikemetheylongto be
CLOSE TO YOU!!!!!

WAAAAAAAA AAAAH AH AH AAAAAAAAAHHHHH

hmm everything seems to be in order.... :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just comments for the future tweaks:

Having each post kind of seperated into its own box really makes the page a lot longer.. Don't really like that.

And the username box on the left.. I don't think we need the labels, it just makes it harder to read. We know that "Ridemonkey" is the user name. "Offline" is pretty indicitive of a status. "User Group" isn't even really valid because custom titles aren't a user group.. you get the idea.

Other than that, I think the grey and blue looks slick. Good job guys. And we got the :mumble: smilie!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ridemonkey said:
It's the "get new" link in the header. I think I'll be moving that. There are a lot of issues with funky sized fonts and poor spacing that I'll be sorting out over the next week.
Yes, I immediately had the same question.

I have many likes and dislikes, but I understand you're not completely done...still tweeking. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the page doesnt fit on my screen and i have to scroll from left to right. am i the only one with that problem? i kinda like it. im just glad its back up. i went a week without the internet and when it finally gets reconnected RM is down! AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! i think i need help.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I'll be implementing some of them.

Regarding the posts being longer - I think a solution to that will be the implementation of some footer guidelines. Footers are out of control and it's just ruining a lot of threads.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I don't like it. But really my issues are small. The font size is not adjustable by the sizing built into browsers. So it is HUGE. And white space around ....everything, seems really excessive. Otherwise colours and stuff don't ever both me.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I agree with most of the stuff everyone else has said, green, no boxes, and all the avatar and name stuff, and the showing pictures part.
Also, I really like how you can mouse over topics and read what they start to say without actually opening it, but can you make it so that the box does not dissapear after only a couple seconds?

Looks good!

-dAn

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
greenreese said:
Also, I really like how you can mouse over topics and read what they start to say without actually opening it, but can you make it so that the box does not dissapear after only a couple seconds?
That has to do with how Windows displays the "Tool Tips". Unless there's a specific piece of XML code that relates to it, it's not adjustable in anything else, so...

The pages are very slow to load, and jerky when scrolling. Are these simply upgrade growing pains and will go away?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
That has to do with how Windows displays the "Tool Tips". Unless there's a specific piece of XML code that relates to it, it's not adjustable in anything else, so...

The pages are very slow to load, and jerky when scrolling. Are these simply upgrade growing pains and will go away?

I dont have that problem at all.

Also, I do not have to scroll left and right to view it. And... the fonts are not huge.

Maybe its because i'm running the superior browser, Mozilla Firefox

EDIT: Just found somthing else. in my above post, "Mozilla Firefox" is a link, and you dont know that until you mouse over it

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
BigMike said:
EDIT: Just found somthing else. in my above post, "Mozilla Firefox" is a link, and you dont know that until you mouse over it
I think BigMike second's my motion. (for links to be a different color)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
BigMike said:
I dont have that problem at all.

Also, I do not have to scroll left and right to view it. And... the fonts are not huge.

Maybe its because i'm running the superior browser, Mozilla Firefox

Maybe its because you use a high resolution and prefer bigger fonts then some do. Personally I like my resolution to be normalish and the fonts to be small. These fonts are signifigantly bigger than they used to be.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Roasted said:
Maybe its because you use a high resolution and prefer bigger fonts then some do. Personally I like my resolution to be normalish and the fonts to be small. These fonts are signifigantly bigger than they used to be.
I'm not seeing it that way. Can you post a screen shot?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My fonts look fine, except when I'm entering text into the reply box - that font is huge.

And I'm using firefox too, Mike - it's still not as smooth scrolling or fast loading as the last version.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Hmmmm.... Its just too different and reminds me way too much of MTBR, which I went to for fun yesterday when RM was down :D

What we need back is the green, no spacing between posts, all the stuff to the left the same way it was (in order of top to bottom: username, title, avatar, location, posts). Also, all the buttons are in the wrong places! :eek:

Thats all for now, if it will make you feel better, I'll surely think of more things. ;)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Alright just a few of my ideas for tweaks, some repeated and others new:

• User names above avatar - Take it out of the table so its just a bold name like it was before, then leave the status, usergroup, posts all in the cells with the border.
  • Image atachments display
  • Color tweaks? (Green was nice!)
  • Link color tweaked to be easily identifiable
  • Font sizes in some areas could be smaller
  • Icons - This one takes forever but they are way too bulky for my liking, the old ones didn't seem to take up as much room.
  • Tweak the stylesheet, the line-height is a bit much I think, spaces text out in wierd ways. Take my signature for example, the links are spaced more than the text that says "A big thank you to:"
  • remove the table spacing between posts, makes for a long page
  • Have the "Home" (homepage button) open in a new window rather than the parent

Also:
  • Be careful with footer guidelines, I know mine isn't super small but it isn't super big. We have had sponsors specifically ask for their link to be in our signatures and if you restrict it too much that might not be possible.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
binary visions said:
My fonts look fine, except when I'm entering text into the reply box - that font is huge.

And I'm using firefox too, Mike - it's still not as smooth scrolling or fast loading as the last version.
I have huge text in all text boxes, also browsing without cookies is majorly screwed up, maybe this could be fixed too?!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned but in the UserCP the attachment feature is awesome, shows you what you have attached to your posts and what post you attached them to, however when you click on the link to show thumbnails it doesnt generate thumbnails. Attached is a quick screenshot of what it displays, my guess is there isn't the software installed on the server to create thumbnails, just a quick note incase no one has noticed it yet.

Attachments

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
How about in each forum the thread titles not in bold, rather underlined with different link color, much like the vBulletin (<thats a link) forum has, makes it a little more compact, the bold just doesn't look right!

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned but in the UserCP the attachment feature is awesome, shows you what you have attached to your posts and what post you attached them to, however when you click on the link to show thumbnails it doesnt generate thumbnails. Attached is a quick screenshot of what it displays, my guess is there isn't the software installed on the server to create thumbnails, just a quick note incase no one has noticed it yet.
Should be working now. Will you try an attachment in this thread?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
Alright, not sure why it didnt post before but yup the show image works, it creates the thumbnail in the post, however in your UserCP it doesnt show the thumbnail, not a huge issue but just one to note.

Sure you've seen this but here is the parse error for this page.

Line: 324
Char: 24
Error: 'null' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://67.19.50.55/forums/showthread.php?p=1136288#post1136288
Has this happened more than once?

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
I agree that footers/signatures need to be limited... it's really getting out of hand with some people (large fonts, animated smilies, etc) and makes the pages so much longer... especially now that each post is in its own box (which i think should be changed).

If someone needs to list off a bunch of sponsors, then fine but do it in a really small font and be prepaired not to have room for anything else.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
911 said:
I agree that footers/signatures need to be limited... it's really getting out of hand with some people (large fonts, animated smilies, etc) and makes the pages so much longer... especially now that each post is in its own box (which i think should be changed).

If someone needs to list off a bunch of sponsors, then fine but do it in a really small font and be prepaired not to have room for anything else.
Another forum I visit limits them to 3 lines that are in a small font and can only include text and links.

I prefere the colour scheme to the old one.
I get the slow scrolling during loading in firefox as well, perhaps caused by each post being a seperate table?