Quantcast

Ridemonkey's New Look...

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
911 said:
If someone needs to list off a bunch of sponsors, then fine but do it in a really small font and be prepaired not to have room for anything else.
Would you say mine is too long? I agree yes, there needs to be SOME kind of limiting but how would you honestly go about doing it? When someone writes an essay and has it in their sig there is a problem, but listing sponsors or having a quote, I dunno, its not that big of a deal as long as its some what under control.

The main bulk of what makes the threads so big right now appears to be the table spacing/padding and space between tables, with those fixed it might not be such an issue.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Ridemonkey said:
what was the error exactly?
Here it is:
"There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully."

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
For example, check these 3 spots out. (see image for locations)

1) large amount of space between top table of post where the date is, the hr, and where the text actually begins, by making this slightly smaller you reduce page length exponentially

2) again, more space where not as much is needed, the space between the bottom of the sig and the bottom of the post table could be reduced

3) 10-15 or so pixels could be removed to put the tables up against each other which would reduce the page even more.

I know how much of a nightmare it can be to tweak forum software so I don't mean to be picky, just a few ideas that might be worth looking into. Good luck with the tweaks RM

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mplutodh1 said:
1) large amount of space between top table of post where the date is, the hr, and where the text actually begins, by making this slightly smaller you reduce page length exponentially
actually i think it would still be linear. hehe :nope:

note 2: the Get New link from the front page is still not fixed as of 3:53 pm on sunday

note 3: where is "mark all as read" on the view new posts/get new page?

note 4: i have browsed with the option of not viewing signatures for quite a while since sig length/complexity/images are out of hand imo.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
one thing that i think needs to be added. dont know if it has been metioned yet but like not in the thread but where all the thread are listed you should have page numbers there.but how it is not i have to open the thread then click on the last page.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:think: It's different I miss the familiar, but I am sure I will get used to the new.

Great job on getting this up and running on the new server...I would be bored outta my mind without the :monkey:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Ridemonkey said:
I figure I'd start with something new and tweek it until you stop bitching about it :p
:angry: :angry: :mumble: :mumble: Start tweeking please! The new style sucks ****!!

Even though it is the same people and all it seems so different. At least change the colors so they are more simlilar to the old style. Or maybe give us the option up selecting how we view the forum.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Is it just me or weren't the sticky threads a different color on the forum page than the other threads on the old server? I dunno maybe I'm crazy but it seems a whole bunch harder to differentiate between the sticky threads and the non-sticky threads now.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Roasted said:
Maybe its because you use a high resolution and prefer bigger fonts then some do. Personally I like my resolution to be normalish and the fonts to be small. These fonts are signifigantly bigger than they used to be.
My Resolution is set at 1280x1024. I hate big fonts! Its not showing up on my screen any bigger than it used to.

Here is a screenshot of my screen with an RM window, and Winamp 5 and my settings for referance

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another problem since the switch: email notifications don't work. i do like the (theoretical) options of daily and weekly notifications tho.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
rideLIKEjehu said:
i think the problem is directly related to how much eminem you have cued up. delete all those music files and try it again :eviltongu

Its not all ceud up, its on random of 2800 songs. only 200 are Eminem :blah:

But its good to see that the admins are taking the stuff we say into consideration. Keep up the good work guys! :thumb:

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
rideLIKEjehu said:
i think the problem is directly related to how much eminem you have cued up. delete all those music files and try it again :eviltongu
Somebody give this man a sponsorship right now!

eminemsucks ++;

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Superdeft said:
Somebody give this man a sponsorship right now!

eminemsucks ++;
Not to Derail the thread, but.... suck it :) I love Emienem, he is a great artist, and has incredible ways of getting himself out there and recognized as a name. "all publicity is good publicity"

and, back on topic, AYE AYE AYE!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
laura said:
the page doesnt fit on my screen and i have to scroll from left to right. am i the only one with that problem? i kinda like it. im just glad its back up. i went a week without the internet and when it finally gets reconnected RM is down! AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! i think i need help.
same here..my computer has been down for a bit...then I come back to RM and I was thinking WTF!!maybe since I installed XP it's going to look like this from now on...but never the less this is the 2nd makeover of RM so I'm sure I will adjust just like I did to the las one....D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
BigMike said:
My Resolution is set at 1280x1024. I hate big fonts! Its not showing up on my screen any bigger than it used to.

Here is a screenshot of my screen with an RM window, and Winamp 5 and my settings for referance

I get home with a high reso and everything is fine. At 1024x768 the fonts are massive (for me)...no worries. I can live with it. I just like to be able to change the font size with ease.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
About the titles under the usernames.... WHERE DID TURBO MONKEY GO!? I dont wanna be just a registered user nobody. :mumble: :mumble: ;) :rolleyes:

Edit: also, I think it would be nice to have back, in the forum, the list of who is in that forum at the time. I liked that a lot.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
After doing a reply or when you are viewing a thread..

if you look near the top you have "Ridemonkey > Biking Forums > The Lounge"

would it be possible to also add one at the bottom? Why?

well after posting a reply you are automatically directed to you last post...in the older forum I could simply click on "The Lounge" and keep on reading new posts. Now I have scroll to the top which it time consuming ;)

thanks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Heidi said:
Apparently posts now have to be more than 10 characters.

What happened to freedom of speech? :blah: :p :nopity:
aha.... just gonna have to quote a bunch of people and use smilies.

2 word thread

NOW OFFICIALLY DEAD! :dead:

Muah ha ha ha ha haaaaaa....... :evil:

thanx R.M.! Hey lose the blue/grey and get us green again this is Ridemonkey not the frikkin Army/Navy football game...... :(

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Skookum said:
aha.... just gonna have to quote a bunch of people and use smilies.

2 word thread

NOW OFFICIALLY DEAD! :dead:

Muah ha ha ha ha haaaaaa....... :evil:

(
How does that saying go, "There is a silver lining in every cloud"?

Awesome!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Threads that I have posted in, that have unread posts, no longer show up as an open envelope with the black dot. They now show as a closed envelope with the black dot.

Bug? Anyone else getting this?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Acadian said:
After doing a reply or when you are viewing a thread..

if you look near the top you have "Ridemonkey > Biking Forums > The Lounge"

would it be possible to also add one at the bottom? Why?

well after posting a reply you are automatically directed to you last post...in the older forum I could simply click on "The Lounge" and keep on reading new posts. Now I have scroll to the top which it time consuming ;)

thanks.
Oh I just saw the "Forum Jump" drop menu at the bottom...

all good now ;)

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
only complaint i have is in the main forum indexes there is no red envelope for threads with alot of replies, only the yellow for ones that have been replied to and grey for everything else...either threads without replies or hot threads, theyre all the same color

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
What don't you like about this new format? Is there something you'd like to see changed/added?
(1)When you finish a thread, or anytime you go back, you always are at the top of the page. It used to be you were returned to the same place you started from.

EG: If I click on a thread 2/3rds of the way down the Lounge page, I read it, and I decided to go back to another thread, I would return to the place on the Lounge page that I was just viewing, not the top of the page. It also happens when you go back a page within a thread. Instead of returning to the bottom of the previous page, you go to the top of the page.

(2)Get rid of the white text boxes in the username / post count areas and just show the information. It would make the forums look much better.