Quantcast

Ridemonkey's New Look...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
shifty S said:
whats up with the picture picture attachments? how do you make the pictures come up as pictures other than filenames?

e.g. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87982
Yea no kidding. I mean, who has the energy to click on the attachments? I'd rather just see the pic when it comes up...old colors were better, also on the top of the page where there is the table showing the threads/forums you're in. could you make the ones for the actual forums (i.e. The Lounge, Downhill) links back to them so that we dont have to scroll to the very bottom of the page to get back to the forums?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
The look is very clean I like it. However 1 thing that is missing from the old version. After browsing threads I was able to click on the "RideMonkey" logo at the top and it would take me back to the home page. Now it just takes you back to the forum listing.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Ridemonkey said:
This is just the latest edition of the software we were already using. The main reason we upgraded was for security. We have had a lot of hack attempts lately so we needed a more secure system.
oh my god!does that mean my avatar might get stolen?!?no seriously the new look freaked me out but we new it was gonna happen. do we have to click on a link now to view pictures in each thread?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I like it.

The MS Office style icon taskbar in the reply box is cool.

The color is great, especially at work...

Speaking of which - whatever happened to "Workmonkey"? That rocked.

Suggestion:

One thing I have seen on another VB forum is right above the thread listings, you have three choices:

"View posts since last visit"
"View your posts"
"View un-answered posts"

These are three really handy things, it would be nice to see them grouped together on the top of each page.

Other than that, it's all just fine.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
testes, testes, 123. whoa juust tried to post a pic i had posted before as a test and it said i had already put it in another thread.does that mean that i will have to rename it in order to post it again?i be confused

J

JRB

you did pretty well for an asshat. :thumb:

Thanks for the hard work holmes.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
biggins said:
testes, testes, 123. whoa juust tried to post a pic i had posted before as a test and it said i had already put it in another thread.does that mean that i will have to rename it in order to post it again?i be confused
I'll find out.....

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not sure if you guys have noticed this problem or not, but when I go to the main index page (not the forums) and click on the "Get New" link I get the following:

Not Found
The requested URL /search.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.ridemonkey.com Port 80

The Address bar shows this: http://www.ridemonkey.com/search.php?do=getnew

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Oh also noticed that messenger links (YIM, AIM, MSN, etc) dont show up when you post, only place I have been able to find them is in the users profile, it was kinda nice to have those with the old setup, haha yet another picky thing!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
mplutodh1 said:
Not sure if you guys have noticed this problem or not, but when I go to the main index page (not the forums) and click on the "Get New" link I get the following:
it appears as though you forgot the "/forums/" part of the link

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Alright, yet another gripe, so I see there was a limit put on signatures...

As i have said before, dont think mine is really taht big. I went to remove the link from mine and it wont let me modify it because: "Your signature can not be longer than 500 characters."

Eh... I dont think characters is going to do much, the profiles taking up so much space now are HUGE fonts and stupid phrases...

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
Alright, yet another gripe, so I see there was a limit put on signatures...

As i have said before, dont think mine is really taht big. I went to remove the link from mine and it wont let me modify it because: "Your signature can not be longer than 500 characters."

Eh... I dont think characters is going to do much, the profiles taking up so much space now are HUGE fonts and stupid phrases...
500 characters was the default setting in the software. 500 is plenty. I'll be cracking down on that stupid big font soon too.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ridemonkey said:
500 characters was the default setting in the software. 500 is plenty. I'll be cracking down on that stupid big font soon too.

So just curious, is mine too big? I am trying to remove the "for sale" line but cant even update my sig, characters doesnt work that well because all of mine the text that displays are links, so the links count in the characters, which, well I dunno, think limiting the wrong way.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Skookum said:
Hey can we go 80X80 pixels on avatar's? 75X75 is too small. a handful of pixels can go a long way for detail.

Man, I am being serious with this, when sponsors ask to have links in signatures on Ridemonkey, first off that should be a good sign for RM, second why not? I think crack down should be on useless crap, and you know what I am refering to.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
So just curious, is mine too big? I am trying to remove the "for sale" line but cant even update my sig, characters doesnt work that well because all of mine the text that displays are links, so the links count in the characters, which, well I dunno, think limiting the wrong way.
I am a member of one forum that allows just 2 links in my sig. You have 16. I think 500 characters is more than adequate. If you need to link all those companies, you should create a team page with the linkson it and link the team page in your sig.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mplutodh1 said:
Man, I am being serious with this, when sponsors ask to have links in signatures on Ridemonkey, first off that should be a good sign for RM, second why not? I think crack down should be on useless crap, and you know what I am refering to.
uhm you think i'm not being serious? my post wasn't put there to dog out your idea man.... just appears our focus in importance is different.....

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ridemonkey said:
I am a member of one forum that allows just 2 links in my sig. You have 16. I think 500 characters is more than adequate. If you need to link all those companies, you should create a team page with the linkson it and link the team page in your sig.

Site already created, the link is right there, thing is you should know this as well as anyone else, a link in a sig with the company name is going to generate hits, a link to a team site wont generate anywhere near as many, let alone a link on that team site, thats 2-3 pass throughs, users say good bye after one or two. And yes some sites regulate it, but to me this is a different situation, how many web programmers need links to sponsors? its different IMO

Heck I would volunteer to help keep sigs under control, I mean DH racer yours is a perfect example, (and no I dont mean Hayes vs Hopes) I mean, whats the point? Does it have to be that big? no.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
Site already created, the link is right there, thing is you should know this as well as anyone else, a link in a sig with the company name is going to generate hits, a link to a team site wont generate anywhere near as many, let alone a link on that team site, thats 2-3 pass throughs, users say good bye after one or two. And yes some sites regulate it, but to me this is a different situation, how many web programmers need links to sponsors? its different IMO

Heck I would volunteer to help keep sigs under control, I mean DH racer yours is a perfect example, (and no I dont mean Hayes vs Hopes) I mean, whats the point? Does it have to be that big? no.
Some forums don't have sigs at all. I appreciate your participation on the board, but the idea that I owe all your sponsors a link is a strange one to me. I'm not going to take special consideration of your sponsors, that just doesn't make sense.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ridemonkey said:
Some forums don't have sigs at all. I appreciate your participation on the board, but the idea that I owe all your sponsors a link is a strange one to me. I'm not going to take special consideration of your sponsors, that just doesn't make sense.
I am not asking for special consideration of mine only, or a select few. Just think there are relevant sigs and pointless ones, links to sponsors is one thing, oversized expressions of products sucking arent, but I guess it doesn't matter how I see it.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mplutodh1 said:
I am not asking for special consideration of mine only, or a select few. Just think there are relevant sigs and pointless ones, links to sponsors is one thing, oversized expressions of products sucking arent, but I guess it doesn't matter how I see it.
Yeah that oversize nonsense is going to go too. But this forum software came with a 500 character limit, which I think is more than adequate, so it's going to stand. The rest of the sig nonsense will be eliminated in time.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
I say 2 or 3 lines in a small point size for sigs. I dont think sigs should be used to advertise. Maybe put a small space for sponsor links in user profile or something, but even that is asking alot. Dont we get enuff advertising thrown at us in every form of media?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
:think: :confused:

Alright, obviously your forum, your choice just figured I would make my point.

In a modified version of my sig which uses size 1 font and only 3-4 lines of text, there are 233 characters which are displayed including spaces, with an additional 669 which are BB code to display that.

I see your point, yes you aren't obligated to give space to sponsors, however limiting characters in this way doesn't prevent what I understand you are trying to prevent.

Either way, believe me I am not trying to pick a fight, I am thankful for your work with this site, dont get me wrong.

Rant over

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I think there's something to be said for having small sigs, just more courteous to others with smaller screens or older computers, or for whatever reason. I am surprised that people don't take advantage of fonts, formatting, and color instead of just busting out with size 34546 fonts and loads of text.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the thread view count seems to be off for quite a few threads (that seem stuck at n + 1, where n is the number of replies)

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Toshi said:
the thread view count seems to be off for quite a few threads (that seem stuck at n + 1, where n is the number of replies)
I think thats cuz there is caching built into the software. It updates to the correct number eventually. I'll fart around with those settings too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Ridemonkey said:
I think thats cuz there is caching built into the software. It updates to the correct number eventually. I'll fart around with those settings too.
pew....
80X80 squeek squeek squeek.... :devil:

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I didn't take the time to look so sorry if this has been mentioned already but when people post pics that are larger than the standard forum size. As in wider which makes everyone else's post on that page wider too it makes it hard to read. The old RM used to format only the one persons post with the picture in it so it didn't affect the rest of the page that was really nice. If that can be done with this software that would be really cool.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I like the new PM box. Seems a bit easier to navigate and clean than the old version. :)

Any way you can add a spell-check function?

Everything else is just a matter of getting used to it. :think:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
mplutodh1 said:
:think: :confused:

Alright, obviously your forum, your choice just figured I would make my point.

In a modified version of my sig which uses size 1 font and only 3-4 lines of text, there are 233 characters which are displayed including spaces, with an additional 669 which are BB code to display that.

I see your point, yes you aren't obligated to give space to sponsors, however limiting characters in this way doesn't prevent what I understand you are trying to prevent.

Either way, believe me I am not trying to pick a fight, I am thankful for your work with this site, dont get me wrong.

Rant over

Maybe this will help you-->http://tinyurl.com/