Quantcast

Rider dies in crash on World cup XC course

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
must be one freak accident or one hell of a course

May she rest in peace

MERIBEL, France (AP) — The International Cycling Union says a Dutch mountain bike rider has died from injuries she sustained from a fall during the qualifying rounds of the UCI World Cup, which are being held in the French Alps.

The UCI said in a statement that 20-year-old Annefleur Kalvenhaar died on Saturday morning after being admitted to the intensive care unit at a nearby Grenoble hospital.

She crashed on Friday during the elimination rounds for the cross-country event in the ski resort of Meribel. No details about the nature of her injuries were disclosed.

UCI president Brian Cookson said "I'm devastated to hear that the cycling family has lost one of its members at such a young age. Our deepest thoughts are with her family and friends."

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What I read was she for some reason rode off a bridge. Super tragic.

The XC course actually looked really fun with some cool descends, rocks and roots and was won on a 650b fully by going down hill much faster than the number two guy. I think some of the camera coverage was a little boring but still fun to cool to see an XC race which I have not done since the 90s.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
She fell on her had. Basically the same injury that Michael Schumacher sustained in Winter. She was carried with the helicopter to Grenoble where she died.
So sad.
RIP

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Heard about this... horrible :(
Must have been hard to compete for the rest of the competition for everyone else.

We had a lady in Eureka this year die on a pre ride the day before the race... super weird vibe on the point to point race the next day. People still raced their asses off, but I know I held back on the fast DH sections... just couldn't get her or her poor family out of my mind.

Last edited: