Quantcast

Rider Down

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Friends from up here were down at Chuckanuts and Galbraith riding, one, pro-level, was out riding Galbraith with a group and started to slip off a wood bridge, so went for the wheelie-drop off the side into what they thought was 3 feet of bushes, turned out to be more like 6 and they heard a loud crack when their head (helmet) hit and couldn't move. Was able to get moved out by the rescuers on the one-wheel job and eventually airlifted to a trauma center, learned that they broke their neck in several spots. Lots of pain and trauma getting to the surgery and getting it set, but was able to get put back together and is up and walking, but huge scare for all friends. Seemed real close to a catastrophic outcome and will still be no walk in the park getting back, but could have been worse. Definitely a wake-up call for a lot of us.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yikes.

Full face?
Don't think so, but from the description, would have needed a leatt device. From the description, sounds like a botched attempt at a wheelie-drop off of the bridge due to it being far taller than anticipated and hitting something on the ground that made his neck crack. He had to be put into a brace and screws tightened into his skull to get everything aligned so they could go in and do the surgery. Said that was absolutely the worst part, incredible pain and in and out on morphine. They were able to successful perform surgery though and get everything aligned, so he's walking and in recovery, with a significant road before he can do anything like that again. Just a freak accident, but one that can happen to any of us.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so they used one of these to get him out? They take a lot of work to use correctly but it beats the snot out of a hand carryView attachment 135296
Yeah, at first they were trying to figure out what was wrong, he had feeling, had movement, but couldn't turn his head or get up, used one of those to wheel him to a pickup point. They seemed to be right on as far as trauma management throughout the process. Impressive story. Harborview in Seattle is where they had to fly him to get the surgery done.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Yeah, at first they were trying to figure out what was wrong, he had feeling, had movement, but couldn't turn his head or get up, used one of those to wheel him to a pickup point. They seemed to be right on as far as trauma management throughout the process. Impressive story. Harborview in Seattle is where they had to fly him to get the surgery done.
Yeah you have to be a really good medic in those situations. Assess, with your eyes, and fingers, then think and finally commit to a course of actions. I did over 100 calls very similar to his. You really have to believe in yourself and your skills and your team. Sounds like they had the right team in place and they made the right choices. Bravo guys you did well

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I saw this post the other day, and today found out the guy is a friend of my brothers.
He is extremely grateful for everyone who helped him off the mountain all the way to post surgery.
I didn’t personally talk to him or know him but he sounds to be in great spirits and positive about the long road to recovery.
Crazy how fast things can change on a routine ‘simple’ trail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I saw this post the other day, and today found out the guy is a friend of my brothers.
He is extremely grateful for everyone who helped him off the mountain all the way to post surgery.
I didn’t personally talk to him or know him but he sounds to be in great spirits and positive about the long road to recovery.
Crazy how fast things can change on a routine ‘simple’ trail.
Yep. He's definitely a friend up here and we've ridden as far from here as Sedona. Super nice guy, ripped racer that rides at pro-level. I'm so glad it wasn't worse and it looks like he'll recover from it, but damn, that was closer than anyone ever wants to get to a worse outcome.