Quantcast

Rider down...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn hope she comes through the other side okay.

Outside should surely have good insurance to cover their employees who participate in these sports as part of work duties, yeah?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Damn hope she comes through the other side okay.

Outside should surely have good insurance to cover their employees who participate in these sports as part of work duties, yeah?
Her friend says in the blurb that she has good insurance and the fundraiser is to make her recovery easier.

Fuck….. she’s still out?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
LOC is generally bad news for concussions.
not always, I have been knocked out twice. Once for 3 days (head on with a car) and once for 5 hours ( solo mtb OTB and off a cliff) and aside for some psych issues from waking up in the hospital after 3 days and not being able to move from the neck down. I physically recovered. She may be in a medically induced coma to promote healing.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've knocked myself out with a grade 3 concussion twice now. Both times were on bicycles. Once with a helmet on (saved my life I think) and once without a helmet. I recovered from both, had amnesia in the short term. When I knocked myself out in the skatepark I was the only person around. When I woke up there was a bunch of kids standing around me with their mouths open. I think they thought I was dead.

I hope she recovers fully! Brain injuries are seriously no good.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Damn, that sucks. I hope she can fully recover rapidly.

IMO, she is one of the most talented Mtb reviewers/communicators.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Will queue up for later.

I'm sort of surprised that Outside didn't find some way to monetize that article.

Not that it matters to anyone, but I nuked my DinkBike account after the recent promotion of the Outside post on Mo Wilson's murder. That piece was a Colin Strickland stroke job from one of his friends presented as reporting.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Will queue up for later.

I'm sort of surprised that Outside didn't find some way to monetize that article.

Not that it matters to anyone, but I nuked my DinkBike account after the recent promotion of the Outside post on Mo Wilson's murder. That piece was a Colin Strickland stroke job from one of his friends presented as reporting.
I guess its for a different thread, but yeah I read about a 1/4 of that article before I stopped. There was just something about it that seemed off - wasn't really sure what the writer was trying to get to or accomplish by writing it.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I guess its for a different thread, but yeah I read about a 1/4 of that article before I stopped. There was just something about it that seemed off - wasn't really sure what the writer was trying to get to or accomplish by writing it.
Yeah, I probably should have separated that out.

Just read Alicia's update, which is candid but hopeful.

Johnny Waddel's crash back when at Mt. St. Anne still stands out in my mind, though I'm not sure there's video of it, a few who were there said they thought for sure he was dead on impact.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
TBI sucks. 8 concussions 3 times cracked skull..last was the helmet I posted years ago and it was destroyed..that was a TBI as well led to some major long term effects aside of memory loss, vertigo, chemical imbalance, attitude changes and some other stuff...so if she's not completely good it's understandable mentally, physically and cognitive...stuff takes time and some you relearn at readjust too...(mine took 4 months of every day to get some baseline normal, not including the before and after duration)
I didn't see this but head injuries are pretty complicated some times...used to fight and box in ring for years got a few guys I know that have a twitch or tic in their mental and speech section .

Man I wish her a recovery, may not be like she was but a new her...brain hits can be bad...people can't understand the mental battle that sometimes happens and the hi and lo's can make you feel alone when people don't understand...

Just live and try to eliminate regrets, you may not get a chance to later ..

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
TBI sucks. 8 concussions 3 times cracked skull..last was the helmet I posted years ago and it was destroyed..that was a TBI as well led to some major long term effects aside of memory loss, vertigo, chemical imbalance, attitude changes and some other stuff...so if she's not completely good it's understandable mentally, physically and cognitive...stuff takes time and some you relearn at readjust too...(mine took 4 months of every day to get some baseline normal, not including the before and after duration)
I didn't see this but head injuries are pretty complicated some times...used to fight and box in ring for years got a few guys I know that have a twitch or tic in their mental and speech section .

Man I wish her a recovery, may not be like she was but a new her...brain hits can be bad...people can't understand the mental battle that sometimes happens and the hi and lo's can make you feel alone when people don't understand...

Just live and try to eliminate regrets, you may not get a chance to later ..
Yup. Everything you said.

TBI's suck.

Everything changes. Everything.

It is the Depression and Anxiety that you get a free extra sized helping of along with the memory, confusion, comprehension, skill loss, vision issues, chronic headache, tinnitus, and personality changes that is just the icing on the cake..

@bullcrew - at least we can still ride, even if in my case at a greatly reduced ability. Glass half full...

I too wish Alicia the best in her recovery.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yup. Everything you said.

TBI's suck.

Everything changes. Everything.

It is the Depression and Anxiety that you get a free extra sized helping of along with the memory, confusion, comprehension, skill loss, vision issues, chronic headache, tinnitus, and personality changes that is just the icing on the cake..

@bullcrew - at least we can still ride, even if in my case at a greatly reduced ability. Glass half full...

I too wish Alicia the best in her recovery.
Hit the nail on the head man..