Quantcast

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
People should be allowed to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, but if they get in an accident, my insurance rates should not be impacted. I would be fine with insurance companies denying coverage for head injuries if no helmet is worn.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
People should be allowed to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, but if they get in an accident, my insurance rates should not be impacted. I would be fine with insurance companies denying coverage for head injuries if no helmet is worn.
That ain't going to happen.

It might actually lower your medical costs, because instead paying for someone else's emergency room and long term rehabilitative costs, without a helmet, you're dead.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Im with The both of you actually for my thoughts. On the true personal level, I really could give a **** less if somoene wants to wear a helmet when operating motorcycle, or if they dont want to wear a seatbelt while driving a car...... Unfortunatly Sanjuro hit it right, its not going to change. I mean Adults know the danger, if they choose to ignore it it really should be their choice, but it truly does then put the responsibility on others be it through insurance premiums, or the time it takes to help them. I mean if it were a situation were if you saw a moto crash and dude wasnt wearing a helmet, that means leave him to die.... things would be different, but thats not how life is. Even if someone was denied medical coverage if they were not wearing a helmet, premiums are still going to go up when they cannot pay the bill anyways.

Thats how I truly feel about it be it a seatbelt, a moto helmet, or a bicycle helmet. We shouldnt need a law to enforce any of it<aside from underage operators> Adults know what can happen. Unfortunatly its not that simple, fact is, if you dont, your making others responsible in one way or another.

My biggest motives for telling other riders on the trails to wear a helmet has nothing to do with them being safe or making sure they dont die in an accident........I want to keep my trails open, sorry, my motives really are selfish on this side. I dont want th responsibility of helping someone once they are hurt, or of fighting yet another trail closure.......

P.S...... Both the riders that were not wearing a helmet went straight to the shop and bought a helmet after this. They also bought their fallen friend a new helmet while they were there.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
unless it's my wife no way no how I am putting my mouth near anyones bleeding face. Aids, Hep B and others...nope aint risking my health for yours.Compression only CPR and that assumes I have gloves [ok so I do always carry gloves]
Ok thanks for the info.

To more clarify why I say it wouldnt have been possible......... Nose was broken and bleeding profusley, tongue was bit almost off, lips were bleeding profusley..... Trying to breath into eitehr the mouth or nose would have led to drowning. He already had to roll to his side to breathe as it were, it just came pouring out as he turned.....Also little side note..... if he hadnt had the helmet CPR wouldnt have been needed, he would have already been dead
No worries mate, I was in no way implying you could have done anything more and I hope you didn't take it that way. I'm just a little bit interested in remote medicine and wanted to see whether it was a possibility.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That ain't going to happen.

It might actually lower your medical costs, because instead paying for someone else's emergency room and long term rehabilitative costs, without a helmet, you're dead.
I wish that not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle would become the legal equivalent of wearing a "Do Not Resuscitate" wristband.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It is a ticketable offense in California to smoke in a car with minors.
As it is in most places.....(except maybe Montana?) but I still see it from time to time. And I would argue that doing that is worse than riding without a helmet as it has a DIRECT impact on someone else.

The question stands: do you knock on the window and "enlighten" them?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As it is in most places.....(except maybe Montana?) but I still see it from time to time. And I would argue that doing that is worse than riding without a helmet as it has a DIRECT impact on someone else.

The question stands: do you knock on the window and "enlighten" them?
hell no run those fvckers off the road!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The grocery store where I shop has an entire isle of hair care products ranging in price from a few dollars to the cost of a wheelset. There was one called " Bed Head " for about 30 bucks. Apparently some people are willing to pay a lot of money to have their hair look like they didn't do anything to it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So when do we start requiring a leatt? :confused:
Just go buy one... I may require them soon.... I haven't made a decision yet. I am leaning toward full body armour for XC rides (shouldn't be a big deal since almost everyone in New England wears shin pads already..) I am accepting input, but only if it benefits me, or if I could take credit for the idea and get away with it....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is the other part of about recommending helmets, apathetic but experienced riders, spewing crap about "Not My Problem".

I like to see one of the d-bags have to deal with someone whose injured? What's the gameplan there? Dial 911 and ride away?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This is the other part of about recommending helmets, apathetic but experienced riders, spewing crap about "Not My Problem".

I like to see one of the d-bags have to deal with someone whose injured? What's the gameplan there? Dial 911 and ride away?
I always wear old socks just for when I come upon an injured rider and have to perform first aid. They also come in handy when you have to poo on a ride... Everyone gets a tourniquet regardless of the injury. So I also carry a stick and a length of string. I am not sure why I was kicked out of the Boy scouts as I am always prepared for any type of emergency. I even made a first aid kit out of old stuff in my medicine cabinet. I even have hot sauce for cleaning out a deep wound.
Hell I even carry a firearm in case the injury is so bad I have to put someone down. My cell phone doesn't work after I dropped it in the toilet at the Bills game. I picked it out, dried it of and nothing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So do the helmet nazis also challenge people they see smoking in cars with kids etc...?
I take out my folding Bat and smash out their windows. So the little bastards don't get cancer. I yell at the crying children that "I just saved your life you little phugger!" I ride away before the cops come. Sometimes I double back and hide in the bushes and throw little stones at them for fun. I carry packs of Ketchup and sweat profusely if they attempt to find me.....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
The crusade doesn't have to be smoking in a car.....how about leaving a dog in a parked car? Or....something else?

Are bike helmets the only thing people make "citizens' arrests" over?

(And yes, if you are leading/sponsoring the ride in some way, of course you should mandate the use of helmets. But if it's just some random guy riding the other way, meh...nature will take its course.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The crusade doesn't have to be smoking in a car.....how about leaving a dog in a parked car? Or....something else?

(And yes, if you are leading/sponsoring the ride in some way, of course you should mandate the use of helmets. But if it's just some random guy riding the other way, meh...nature will take its course.
I just taunt them into a frenzy. If the windows is cracked I feed them Chocolate and some of my meds. Nobody rides with me because I am so fast that they can't keep up....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So when do we start requiring a leatt? :confused:

c4 and c6 wouldnt have been helped by a Leatt, and with my personal experience, not everyones build will work right with neck braces, Im still trying to find a brand that fits me properly

I break the windows if I see someone that locked their dog in a car.