Quantcast

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
We had our group of riders out today over in Angelous oaks today, we started up at the resturant, up to the top int o 2e03 Blah Blah....

We were all the way back over to Morton's peak road, headingup th the actual lookout up top, when another group was heading down, four guys, only two wearing helmets. Dude number two went down really hard, about 30 seconds after he aseed us.

He actually lost his front wheel, as in it came off causing the crash, and is no were to be found. This fireroad is no joke, its steep and very fast. IMO he was riding WAY above his abilities, and VERY lucky to have been wearing a helmet, most likely would have been a fatal blow if not for the now absolutly demolished helmet.

Recap of the most apparent injuries.

Split lip in three locations all the way through, the one in the center going all the way into his nose which was also obviously broken, you could see through the gums al the way to the bone which also appeared to be broken as well< no he wasnt wearing a full face>, Major concussion, pinhole pupils, very twitchy eyes, missing more than a few teeth, looked like he took a nice chunk out of his tongue as well. Nice 8 inch dig were the fork hit the ground.

Seems like a nice guy, I feel bad for him. Not a good way for his new year to start. I dont feel too bad though, for your front wheel to come off it means only a couple things..... Didnt check his gear, didnt know how to install a wheel..... and there is always the possibility the Skewer sheared as well..

Took the opportunity to make his helmetless buds feel like morons,

Me...Pretty good inspiration to get a helmet...

Buds..... <blank look>

Me... That helmet just saved yoru friends life

Buds.... <blank look>

me... Your friend would be DEAD if he wasnt wearing a helmet... that was a fatal blow, stop looking for his wheel and go help him.....< that was after DHMike and I already helped him to get to a vehicle that was taking him to the ER, area was not accesible to ambulance>

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I give everybody the business when I see people riding without helmets, but most of them are riding easy, flat trails which I doubt they will crash or even get hurt if they do. Most of the time, I just tap on my helmet or ask rhetorically, "Where's your helmet?"

But when I see someone riding "real" trails sans helmet, I openly call them out. There are more likely to crash and more likely to be seriously injured.

Your story confirms exactly what I think of most helmet-less riders: novices on poorly assembled bikes (no crash I've seen did the front wheel came off - I wonder if he had spun the QR tight or actually flipped the cam lever).

And occasionally I do see a veteran rider with no helmet. I usually skip the lecture he has heard a thousand times, and I will still help him if he lands on his noggin, but my passive-aggressive side will probably emerge since I won't just ride away.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
PS, nice job DH/DirtyMike in the assist, and stinky, if they had minded their own business, then that would mean they would just ride away from this accident...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to cyclists.

Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to bikers.

Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to auto drivers.

Do I need to ask the question that no one answers yet again?

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Why do you care? Mind your business.
nice neg rep, maybe the paramedics will mind their business when you've cracked your brain onto the trail, in fact why bother trying to educate anyone on anything when you can just mind your business...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to cyclists.

Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to bikers.

Head injuries are the biggest cause of death to auto drivers.

Do I need to ask the question that no one answers yet again?
Ok, my turn again:
Air bags have been associated with a substantial reduction of fatalities in motor vehicle accidents involving adults (a 14% decrease in fatality for front passengers wearing seat belts and a 23% decrease for those not wearing seat belts).
brain injuries due to car accidents have declined an impressive 25% between 1984 to 1992

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
nice neg rep, maybe the paramedics will mind their business when you've cracked your brain onto the trail, in fact why bother trying to educate anyone on anything when you can just mind your business...
Scurry along cloverboy, men are speaking.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
yeah from being on this forum i can tell you sound like such a success of a human i should just leave it to you...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ok, couple things.

first because for some reason I need to repeat this..... The guy that crashed, was one that was actually wearing a helmet, if he wasnt.......It wouldnt have been the medics driving to the hospital, it would have been the coroner driving him to the morgue

Sanjuro, I think you nailed it, instead of caming the QR over, I would put money on it that he just spun it tight.

Stinky...... Seriously? Mind my business????? I sure hope someone thinks that way if you crash and get hurt and are bleeding all over the place. Maybe their thought will be... He looks hurt, Wow listen to that gurgling moan of pain....Eh **** it, he is ok, I should mind my business.

Seriously, that is a very ****ed up way to look at what happened. Someone was seriously injured, and your thought is...You should have minded your business....You really are a ****ing retard arent you.............

Next time you have a serious crash, I really hope you remember this. Specially if you sitting there in need of assistance, and everyone just ignores you...Get the **** out of my thread moron

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Darwin in action.
In all reality, thats more what I belive when I see people not wearing helmets. I dont normally point it out to them unless they are children. Adults generally understand what can happen if they crash without a helmet, they mostly just choose that they wont crash and take a chance.

This particular instance was just one of those moments that was a perfect time to throw an example out there.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
255m vehicles registered 2007
Fatal crashes: 37,435

Less than .00001 of accidents are fatal.

And about 40% of fatal accidents involve alcohol. Not the lack of helmets...

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

One more thing: most head injuries you land on your face. Most auto helmets are open face.
This makes no sense.

What percentage of head injury deaths is acceptable for auto drivers?

Most head injuries, you land on your face? Where did that come from? I've had 3 and only one was to the face.

And if you want to bring up booze, more people survive crashes while intoxicated.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ok, couple things.

first because for some reason I need to repeat this..... The guy that crashed, was one that was actually wearing a helmet, if he wasnt.......It wouldnt have been the medics driving to the hospital, it would have been the coroner driving him to the morgue

Sanjuro, I think you nailed it, instead of caming the QR over, I would put money on it that he just spun it tight.

Stinky...... Seriously? Mind my business????? I sure hope someone thinks that way if you crash and get hurt and are bleeding all over the place. Maybe their thought will be... He looks hurt, Wow listen to that gurgling moan of pain....Eh **** it, he is ok, I should mind my business.

Seriously, that is a very ****ed up way to look at what happened. Someone was seriously injured, and your thought is...You should have minded your business....You really are a ****ing retard arent you.............

Next time you have a serious crash, I really hope you remember this. Specially if you sitting there in need of assistance, and everyone just ignores you...Get the **** out of my thread moron
1) You're standing there lecturing somebody about helmet safety while the guy is down right?

2) He was riding with friends, and because they didn't help, you stepped in to help?

Flags are all over the field.

I'm all for helping people, but a lecture of your beliefs in not needed.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most head injuries, you land on your face? Where did that come from? I've had 3 and only one was to the face.

And if you want to bring up booze, more people survive crashes while intoxicated.

And yes, most people survive car wrecks. There are 6,000,000+ accidents and only about 40,000 fatalities.

40% of these fatalities are alcohol related. Hmmm.

Last time I'm going to write to you about this. You figure it out or you don't.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
1) You're standing there lecturing somebody about helmet safety while the guy is down right?
Nope, after he was stable, no longer in shock, far from ear shot were the downed rider didnt hear any of it.

2) He was riding with friends, and because they didn't help, you stepped in to help?

2 points... You assumed alot in what was said without having a clue

We were closer than all but one of the buddies, The first was already around a half mile or better down the trail and had no clue what had just happened, the third rider was too busy yelling for the first rider to stop and help his buddy, while the fourth guy was truly retarded.... his main concern was finding the wheel

Not everyone knows what to do in a situation like this, nor are they able to keep their cool long enough to not further injure the rider....IE stop movement untill a proper assement can be done.

Flags are all over the field.

I'm all for helping people, but a lecture of your beliefs in not needed.

So I am guessing you and I have a HUGE difference when we think about what a lecture is.... taking 20 seconds to hint to someone they need to get a helmet........ hardly a lecture. Spending ten minutes

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So I am guessing you and I have a HUGE difference when we think about what a lecture is.... taking 20 seconds to hint to someone they need to get a helmet........ hardly a lecture. Spending ten minutes
I just think it's incredibly rude to tell people how to live their lives. Like the gay marriage ban. Where do you stand on that issue?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I just think it's incredibly rude to tell people how to live their lives. Like the gay marriage ban. Where do you stand on that issue?
See this is my point, you made up your mind that I am trying to tell someone else how to live their life. You see what little tid bit was listed here and got all that.... Thats pretty effin rude too, maybe ask if you dont know all of it, Maybe realize the guys that did not have helmets were very much rookie riders, maybe notice they were on borrowed bikes.... There is sooo much more to it

Besides, I really, REALLY, have a hard time beliving you dont ever tell others how they should live their lives, or how they should do something, or what their best interest is......Maybe a good look at the good ole mirror before preaching?

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Dude, seriously? You're comparing somebody saying "Hey you know wearing a helmet could save your life" to somebody being anti-gay marriage? You're really grasping at straws here.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Pert, with the wake up whatever stuff in it...... Cant remember what they call it, too lazy to go upstairs and look<wife gets it for me> Awesome...Whoever thought of putting Menthol into shampoo.... Pure genius

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
What about if situations like this lead to trail closures?

Is it OK to tell someone to put on a helmet so that the landowners don't freak if there are too many accidents?