Quantcast

Riders ready. Watch the lights...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I did a BMX race I did a week ago Friday at my old home track in Westfield, MA. We had a little get together w/ some guys that raced BITD.

I raced my USB Molly Maguire and got 2nd in Cruiser class and 1st in the "Old Man" Open. The Molly was a bit heavier than the rest of the cruisers but those short chainstays made getting out the gate fast and the Nem Pro Z1 was a benefit as the berms were pretty bumpy.

Here's a quick youtube vid of the 36-40 Cruiser main. I'm was running #2 wearing a dk jersey (USB didn't have their team jersey ready yet :) ) behind an old rival - Ricky Saloomy w/ the Factory Columbia colors on:

Vid of the "Old Man" Open should be up soon. Rick said he just had to download it. Word is Rick is getting back into it and might be training w/ Cru and the rest from Cali.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
great job, don! i'm thinking about doing some NOVAbmx races on my 26" singlespeed STP. just don't have the free time or cash to keep racing DH/DS and i need my racing fix. anything i should keep in mind? i guess i'd be racing 30+ cruiser? looks like fun.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good stuff, Don. Man, that makes me want to race. You know what's funny? One of the few recurring dreams I have is of me snapping out of the gate on a bmx bike.... hmmmm.

Yeah, after training with us, Rick will launch that triple with a rad-nasty trick instead doing the double-single. :biggrin:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
thanks!

Corey - yeah, that STP should be great for racing cruiser class. I would just make sure to wear a fullface and maybe your DH shoulder pads. Also make sure your singlespeed gearing is near 55 (like a 44-16 on a 20" bike. I'm sure you know the formual but if not - 44/16*20=55. Just use x/y*26=55. If you need a racing fix, running some motos at a local BMX race should cure it!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Corey,

We should try to put some thing together some Sunday (or Friday night now that the lights are up) at Chesapeake BMX. There's some flippin' fast 24" and 26" riders out every Wednesday night for gate practice. Unfortunately I am not one of them. I think Avalon / Germantown has riders out every week for the races. (I believe I read that on ride-dc actually). I've not actually been out for a race, I assume it would be cool to come out in mass some Sunday. I could ask the track manager about it.

Edit: one quick question: What's the deal with the ABA license? Anybody know?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i've thought about it, but woodbridge is only 30 minutes away... severn, would be close to 2 hours on a week night. besides, i'm scared of maryland. :D