Quantcast

Ridewrap Frame Protection...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No idea about the code.

I have my Megatower wrapped in it. Seems ok. It looks and feels the same as InvisiFrame from the UK.

I did add some thicker clear 3M stuff on certain little spots that would probably hit the ground first if I bailed (on chainstay near rear dropout, non-drive side of swingarm). The Ride Wrap/InvisiFrame will protect against mild abrasions but that's it I think.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my new bike is basically all matte black, and I didn’t like the way the protective tape I used looked, so I am going to try this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Scotch...lack/197249225

May work, may not, I will report back after the first few chainstay dings. I already use basic electrical tape (8.5 mil) under the straps for my frame bag to prevent chafing, but this stuff is 10 Mil, so I think it will work great for protection. It also leaves absolutely no residue if I want to replace it.
Just an experimental PSA.
Keeps the bike murdered out. First I will try it on top of the XPEL type stuff (double wrap that rascal!) and see how it looks. Cheap enough that it’s no worry to replace if I don’t like it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I bought a sheet of 3M heavy duty film in matte black. It's almost unnoticeable on my frame, and it takes a beating. Found a 1ft x 36in on Ebay for cheap.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
But that still narrow tape. Do you really want to dick around with a 100 small pieces of tape, when you could buy a sheet of protective material, trim a big piece for your down tube let's say, and be done with it?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Regarding protection
Me sayz
Just raw dawg it...

Unless your into riding Trannys then you'd better wrap them up.

My buddie patrol looked like it had taken 450 roost at the mx track for a few dozen motos on the head tube.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
My buddie patrol looked like it had taken 450 roost at the mx track for a few dozen motos on the head tube.
My wife's 2018 Patrol has an immaculate tape job and still loses paint every time I walk past it yet the paint on my 2016 is durable as hell.

I bought a roll of wide 3M tape big enough to last a lifetime and use that, but the ridewrap stuff is nice and much easier.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like that wouldn’t add a pound or two!
You want a light frame or a pretty frame? Only way to have both is to not ride it. Flat black is going to show everything.

I protect known wear spots with thick 3-M tape. Cable rub and heel rub, my foot geometry is fucked up and I wear shoes/frames out where the two touch. Rocks and crashes just happen.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, I’m happy so far with the 33 mill electrical tape job.
It‘s actually over the thicker clear tape. It’s basically invisible on this frame.
Also Put it on all of the rub spots from the frame bag straps/etc.
I think it will work quite nicely, but I’m happy to tell you guys if it’s shite.
Just waiting to need a rim re-tape job in order to try it on that as well...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just noticed this thread... I decided to go with the full service package and have my bike Ridewrapped. It was expensive, the the local logic is that your bike will look about $500 more expensive when you sell it later, so worth the $200 now.

I paid to have it done after taking a survey of my buddies. 2 did it themselves. 1 said to do the same, the other said "never again, have someone else do it". One was drunk, the other was sober. Both required more than 5 hours to get it done. Similar results.

2 more buddies had it done at the shop. It took much less of their time, and both had a better result. The extra $80 seems to be worth the time savings.

Mine looks good, but there are still a few tiny bubbles here and there. I'm choosing to not care.

The part that I've done nothing about yet are my cranks. The cheapo film I bought off Wish wears through in about 2 rides. My right ankle seems to wear down the crank arm much more than my left. I swore off carbon cranks forever, but then I forgot. I need to find something more robust to keep them looking worthy. A spray on product would be ideal...

So, my 2 cents says: pay someone to apply it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
mastic under the stupid cheap hollow SC downtube/bb protector, and then a strip above that on the downtube. also on exposed areas of the the driveside chainstay. that is all. it's a bike. beat the piss out of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mastic under the stupid cheap hollow SC downtube/bb protector, and then a strip above that on the downtube. also on exposed areas of the the driveside chainstay. that is all. it's a bike. beat the piss out of it.
One may have gone too dentistry to worry about resale value.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I use some relatively thick 3M helicopter tape on mine. Buying more is of course much cheaper per metre. I got like a 30m roll or something, maybe 9” wide. Did it myself, kept the templates I made up and, rather than kidding myself its a one-off job, I just replace it every few months when the dirt starts to work in at the edges.

Also re:

My wife's 2018 Patrol has an immaculate tape job and still loses paint every time I walk past it yet the paint on my 2016 is durable as hell.

I bought a roll of wide 3M tape big enough to last a lifetime and use that, but the ridewrap stuff is nice and much easier.
I have a friend with the same problem. Seems to flake a bit off with every stone. Not sure if his is a 2018 or 19 actually but yeah, chiptastic.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Do these latest carbon bikes not come with a powdercoat? Mine is going on ... 14 years, and the powder is still in pretty damn good condition.