Quantcast

Riding a bent fork?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
so i'm riding this cheap replacement felt fork i got for free after bending another cheap fork. the felt fork is noticeably bent but the steerer seems to be straight. there was a bit of play in the headset, but i think if i just tighten the compression bolt a bit more it'll be fine. i know i could snap the fork or bend it more and more, but are there any other risks i need to be concerned about. damaged headset or headtube? hoping to have a new fork this weekend, but want to ride the 20" before i get it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
the steerer seems to be straight. there was a bit of play in the headset, but i think if i just tighten the compression bolt a bit more it'll be fine. damaged headtube? hoping to have a new fork this weekend, but want to ride the 20" before i get it.
well you could ovalize the head tube then your entire frame is wasted...not worth the risk if you ask me...D

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I agree with bmxman that you could ovalize your HT and then you're screwed. Don't you got a homie with a bike you can ride. When my bike was down and I needed a 20 fix I'd grab my boy and his bike. We'd session a spot and just take turns on his rig.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i say don't ever ride a bent fork. just not worth the risk.

snapping a fork on landing is one of the worst kinds of crashes you can have. your hands are still holding the grips and you don't have time to get your arms out in front of you. it's a straight up face smash.

any of you early 90's bmx'ers ought to remember Jeff Crawn getting paralyzed.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Nope, I wouldn't.

Some kid at the dirt park snapped his fork at the crown on a landing, its was probly one of the worse crashes I have ever seen happen, but amazingly he is fine, just a few scratchs.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I didn't even think of that...if the fork does fail completely then you're looking a new set of teeth!...D