Quantcast

Riding a Bicycle on an interstate Hiway

splat

Nam I am
It was rush hour , I bet Lucas was going faster than the traffic.

Bicyclist charged with pedaling up I-93 during rush hour - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

Bicyclist charged with pedaling up I-93 during rush hour
By Jaime Lutz, Globe Correspondent

A bicyclist from Martha’s Vineyard is facing a trespassing charge after pedaling on the highway during rush hour near Boston this morning, State Police said.

At about 8:30 a.m., several 911 callers reported a man riding his bicycle on I-93 northbound, near Exit 11 in Milton, said Trooper Todd Nolan, a State Police spokesman.

Lucas Brunelle, 40, of Vineyard Haven was given a criminal summons and told not to ride on the highway again, Nolan said.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Occasionally I ride my bike on Hwy 24, a 65 mph speed limit highway but legal to bikes because it is the connector to a road into the hills.

There is nothing more fun than when I am going faster than the cars, especially when I am going uphill.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I think that banning bicycles from interstate highways is inappropriate.
Many stretches in the rural West are actively used by bikers. If it's not marked as being off-limits to bikers (with proper justification) then it should be legal.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and when riders act like fools and become road kill....
There is also a section of I-280 open to bikes because it is another street connector. But both places I am riding on the shoulder, and the 280 section about a quarter mile between an on-ramp and an off-ramp. It is frightening when cars are accelerating pass you just when other vehicles are slowing down to exit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've ridden on the Interstate once heading into Butte, MT in a MTB race earlier this year.

Not a fun place to be riding a bike.