Quantcast

riding a fixie

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't know how you people do it. I had mechanical after mechanical last night and ended up riding a fixie back to my truck. Dear god was that a pain. I don't know how (never mind why) someone would/could do that for any length of time, especially on any kind of technical trail.

I can see doing it on the road... not sure I'd want to, it would be easier, but still...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
From what I understand, historically messengers rode them because they were extremely reliable, and very hard for a bike theif to ride.

However now it seems most people who ride them do it because they think it makes them cool.

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
countdown for splat to chime in in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....:)
Hey!!!

for starters , I would never ride one off road.

but as for on road . from my point of view

1) It is a Great training device.

2) I use it in Bad weather because of the reliability factor, very little to go wrong.

edit : And I could care less about the "cool" factor of it .
and it would probably kill a bike theif

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I don't know about the cool / rad thing, I don't think anyone I know sees me when I'm riding. I don't ride one off-road, but on-road it's a great option for an alternate workout in the evenings for me. Works different muscles and gives you more control of your bike. ~I'm not wording that right.... It gives you a different 'connection' to the bike and forces you to learn alternative ways of riding (ie... slowing with the pedals, cornering/leaning, riding downhill)

The bike is simple and a great commuter. If any of you guys are ever down in the DC area, you are more than welcome to take it out, though if you're down here, I'd suggest we go hit some trail. You can try out the fixie if you have time.

*Edit: I don't know how off-roaders descend fast on their fixies. I have a hard enough time on the road.

Oh, and I'm cooler / radder(sp?) than you.... ;) ;) ;)

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The fixie is great for training on the road (off road is nutty). You work different muscle groups when slow/back pedalling and you can improve your spin and cadence b/c you are constantly pedalling.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i talked to a messenger a few weeks ago who swears by her Ti fixie, mainly because it's lighter and she can get from place to place much quicker and in return she gets more money.....plus it's the cool the to have

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i just ride my fixie to the bars and the coffee shop to show off my tattoos.

as for off road, i have my bars cut down to 8" so i bet it'd ride really well.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Would never take mine offroad. But for the road, it is a blast. Since getting mine in late May, I've put a bunch of miles on it, have become a better climber. Plus it is fun on flat rides to put a hurting on some unsuspecting geared road riders.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I forgot to add that riding fixed is the "old, Italian way" to train. Gotta put in 1000 miles on the fixie over the winter before you can touch the geared bike. At least that is what the fast, old roadies around here tell me.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Opeth said:
Would never take mine offroad. But for the road, it is a blast. Since getting mine in late May, I've put a bunch of miles on it, have become a better climber. Plus it is fun on flat rides to put a hurting on some unsuspecting geared road riders.

why would a fixie be faster (then geared) on flat rides ?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeesh.

How would you feel if someone said the only reason you ride mountain bikes is because you want to be cool?

Hopefully, you would think that's ridiculous, because being cool was never on your radar when you started riding.

That's how it is for many people who ride fixies, including me. Sure, it has become trendy to immitate bike messengers. But in reality, riding a fixie well takes a whole new skill set, and those who ride them purely for fashion don't last long.

It's one more way to get yer kicks on two wheels, no more and no less.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Opeth said:
You won't be faster immediately but once up to spinning speed it is easier to maintain it.

OGRipper said:
You often end up pushing a bigger gear than a roadie with a choice.
I still dont understand how either would make you faster??

At what speed do you start spinning out?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I bought one becuase I wanted something cheap and fun for riding around the city. I've got a great road loop in the park up the street from me and whaling through city traffic on a bike with no brakes is almost as much fun as downhilling. I've done a few alley cats on it and raced a couple of the late-nite underground fixed-gear races at that aforementioned park. I love this thing. Buy one. Stereotypes and trends be damned.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Echo said:
From what I understand, historically messengers rode them because they were extremely reliable, and very hard for a bike theif to ride.
This is true.

splat said:
1) It is a Great training device.
true also

splat said:
2) I use it in Bad weather because of the reliability factor, very little to go wrong.
again, true.

splat said:
it would probably kill a bike theif
not quite. typically you find them less than 50 feet away from where you left the bike, and on the ground wondering why they fell. enough time to get your bike back and give them a good hard kick to the head/ribs/crotch.

i also like my fixie b/c when i go on really long road rides south of rochester (where it tends to be flat as hell) i can get good and baked and just sorta go, and not pay attention to pedaling, and let my mind wonder more, and can see more cool stuff.

riding fixed has done WONDERS for my cadence.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jonKranked said:
53x16 isn't that big of a gear. i've met a fair number of messengers in pittsburgh running that. and its HILLY where they work.
Um, dude your typical road bike maxes out at a 53X12, maybe an 11. Unless you are on the track or it's pancake flat, that is a big gear for a single-geared bike. I don't really care if someone else (messenger or otherwise) rides a bigger gear around.

Douglas, riding around the city I am usually faster than the roadies I encounter too. It hurts to push a (relatively) big gear slowly, so I end up sprinting up to speed faster. And on the hills around here, I have no choice but to keep turning over my bigger gear, so I go quicker than I do when I have the choice to shift down. Once up to speed, I can't coast, and it's easier to keep the power on than to fight a kicking fixie.

Like someone else said, it also helps with cadence and smoothing out your pedal stroke. And because you're sprinting around, it develops leg power quickly. Lastly, if you also use your legs to slow down, you get a better workout out of a shorter ride - that's why I find it ideal for commuting.

You know you want one.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Fixies without brakes = you have bigger balls (or bigger ovaries as the case may be).

My last time in Frisco I saw a girl on a pearl white frame with pink rims and no brake(s). I'm pretty sure her ovaries were larger than my head. She wins @ life.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Prettym1k3 said:
Fixies without brakes = you have bigger balls (or bigger ovaries as the case may be).

My last time in Frisco I saw a girl on a pearl white frame with pink rims and no brake(s). I'm pretty sure her ovaries were larger than my head. She wins @ life.

till she gets pwned by a car. props to those who can ride brakeless. I personally think its dumb unless you're a track racer. you may be able to control the bike with out brakes, but you can't control some yuppie b!tch driving her hummer on the cell phone while trying to drink a mocha latte and find the closest Banana Republic.

for the record i LOVE mocha lattes.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
OGRipper said:
Douglas, riding around the city I am usually faster than the roadies I encounter too. It hurts to push a (relatively) big gear slowly, so I end up sprinting up to speed faster. And on the hills around here, I have no choice but to keep turning over my bigger gear, so I go quicker than I do when I have the choice to shift down. Once up to speed, I can't coast, and it's easier to keep the power on than to fight a kicking fixie.

so, then most TT bikes should be fixie

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Um, dude your typical road bike maxes out at a 53X12, maybe an 11. Unless you are on the track or it's pancake flat, that is a big gear for a single-geared bike. I don't really care if someone else (messenger or otherwise) rides a bigger gear around.

Like someone else said, it also helps with cadence and smoothing out your pedal stroke. And because you're sprinting around, it develops leg power quickly. Lastly, if you also use your legs to slow down, you get a better workout out of a shorter ride - that's why I find it ideal for commuting.

You know you want one.
Where's your girl pants and the 40oz?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jacksonpt said:
First it was you being able to read, now this??? You're ruining my whole image of you!!!

i also have 10 fingers and 10 toes, evenly (and properly) distributed. my eyes have proper spacing and i don't have a prehensile tail. oh how i wish i did!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I got passed at the 2nd 24 Hours of Snowshoe by a dude from Team Hugh Jass on the poweline downhill...he was riding a fixie! (streamers attached to the bars as well...)

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
OGRipper said:
This is why I'm faster on my SS too. There's a lot to be said for the advantages of having a minimum speed. Either you make the hill or you don't...there's no just shift down and grind.:hot:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Mudpuppy said:
This is why I'm faster on my SS too. There's a lot to be said for the advantages of having a minimum speed. Either you make the hill or you don't...there's no just shift down and grind.:hot:

at Old Pueblo there were tons of dudes racing SS's....I'd catch & pull away on the flats, then they'd catch back up on the big climb

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
douglas said:
so, then most TT bikes should be fixie
Uh, I think you're missing the point. Having only one gear makes average riders like me go faster than I might otherwise go most of the time. That also means I go faster than lots of other people on the road.

Whatever, ride one or don't, I don't care. I'm not crusading, just explaining my experience. Fixies are fun and challenging, and the simplicity is a neat contrast to some of my other bikes.

But it's interesting that you and others seem so cynical. Is it just because of not wanting to get lumped in with all the other bandwagon riders? Or are you afraid one of those hipsters might actually have more skill than you? Who cares? Fashion comes and goes, but I ride for myself.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
OGRipper said:
Uh, I think you're missing the point. Having only one gear makes average riders like me go faster than I might otherwise go most of the time. That also means I go faster than lots of other people on the road.

Whatever, ride one or don't, I don't care. I'm not crusading, just explaining my experience. Fixies are fun and challenging, and the simplicity is a neat contrast to some of my other bikes.

But it's interesting that you and others seem so cynical. Is it just because of not wanting to get lumped in with all the other bandwagon riders? Or are you afraid one of those hipsters might actually have more skill than you? Who cares? Fashion comes and goes, but I ride for myself.

oh, I know there's plenty of people w/more skill and/or faster than me.

and cynical, nah.... more like a interested disbeliever :D