Quantcast

Riding a Singlespeed...is it for you?

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
I submitted an article to NEMBA's newsletter, Singletracks, and they published it! I was so stoked when I found it in my mailbox the other day. Check it out when you get a chance.

Riding a Singlespeed...is it for you?

I am no expert and this was just my thoughts. Some of you just getting into this may find it useful, at least I hope so.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey nice article! I read that too! I think you forgot to mention fames that feature sliding dropouts though, but no biggie. IT was a well written article.

Hey throw up some photos of your Seven while you are at it. ;)

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Yup, that's me.

It's amazing how simple singlespeeds are and yet how complex the interactions between frame, components and rider can still be.

I didn't specifically mention frames but I did discuss methods of chain tensioning that called out horizontal dropouts and EBB's. There are other things I left out too like bar and stem types but I was trying to keep it basic.

Unfortunatley, that Seven SS is not my ride. The pictures were taken by Philip Keyes. I attached pictures of my ride, but they used those instead. Maybe they have some marketing deal with Seven Cycles or something.

If you guys have anything you'd like to share, feel free. I'd like to update this article at some point to get some more info in there.

Thanks guys.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Before I bought my SS I always imagined I'd enjoy it but I never imagined I'd be getting up the hills I get up - but I do - and it's really great. Simple, light, efficient - a whole new experience - wonderful workout bike.

BTW - I bought my KM from Webcyclery.