Quantcast

riding around gatlinburg

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
hey all,

i'm coming down this weekend for a vacation with family in gatlinburg. i'm leaving DC tomorrow afternoon and will be arriving sunday afternoon (24th) and leaving next saturday afternoon (30th). a couple of questions:

1. is windrock open during the week and is anyone riding this week?
2. where's the good trail riding within 2 hours of gatlinburg?

i'm trying to decide which bike to bring. i have a heckler that i can swap out wheelsets to make it a mini-dh bike or lighter wheels to make it a heavy duty trail bike. i also have a r9 but that can't be pedaled unless it's pointed down. i could bring both bikes, but i'd prefer to minimize my luggage.

so, if there is enough interest in running shuttles at windrock (or if i can convince some family to shuttle me) i'll just bring my r9. if there is some good trail riding around, then i'll bring my heckler with an extra wheelset to shuttle and pedal with.

mucho gracias in advance. i'm leaving tomorrow around 3pm so i won't be online after that.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Well, I live the closest to Gatlinburg & there is nothing up here to ride !

I.C King Park is the closest good XC trails around.Near downtown Knoxville go South out Alcoa Highway toward the airport.They have real good trails.

BIGFOOT Mountainbike park is in Soulway,near Oak Ridge. It has dirtjumps,a weathered mountaincross track(pretty good still),one tight XC trail,& some short fun freeride trails.Heckler for sure !!

Windrock is where it's at for Downhill & your R9.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i've been to windrock and know what the riding is like. i'd like to hit it up again so i might just bring up both bikes to do a day there and then a day of exploring trails around the area.

anyone shuttling windrock during the week? last time, i didn't get in as many runs as i would have liked and i want to check out more trails.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey all,

i'm coming down this weekend for a vacation with family in gatlinburg. i'm leaving DC tomorrow afternoon and will be arriving sunday afternoon (24th) and leaving next saturday afternoon (30th). a couple of questions:

1. is windrock open during the week and is anyone riding this week?
2. where's the good trail riding within 2 hours of gatlinburg?

i'm trying to decide which bike to bring. i have a heckler that i can swap out wheelsets to make it a mini-dh bike or lighter wheels to make it a heavy duty trail bike. i also have a r9 but that can't be pedaled unless it's pointed down. i could bring both bikes, but i'd prefer to minimize my luggage.

so, if there is enough interest in running shuttles at windrock (or if i can convince some family to shuttle me) i'll just bring my r9. if there is some good trail riding around, then i'll bring my heckler with an extra wheelset to shuttle and pedal with.

mucho gracias in advance. i'm leaving tomorrow around 3pm so i won't be online after that.

hook up with the link below.

joey.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
thanks for the info all. i'm going to bring my heckler and hit up king, bigfoot, and maybe windrock. unless i can to convince someone on vacation with me to shuttle me, i'll skip windrock this trip unless i feel motivated to pedal up the dirt road. :shocked:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
thanks for the info all. i'm going to bring my heckler and hit up king, bigfoot, and maybe windrock. unless i can to convince someone on vacation with me to shuttle me, i'll skip windrock this trip unless i feel motivated to pedal up the dirt road. :shocked:
Hey Will,

While you are at IC King, be sure to pick up a male prostitute or two, you know, if you are into that kind of thing. Do you pitch or catch? Either way I'm sure they've got you covered.

You might want to check out Haw Ridge as well. It's a pretty large xc network, similar to Patapsco here. Great place to get lost for a while. It's just across the Solway bridge from Bigfoot. (maybe 5 minutes drive). Hop in the lake and go for a swim after/during your ride.

If you want some semi-epic XC and want to drive a little further, head over to Loan Mtn, about 20-25 miles south and west of Oak Ridge, but that's putting you pretty far from Gatlinburg. (2+ hrs?) There's 1 hell of a climb, some nice ridge riding, good views, and then 1 hell of a descent back down. It's about 10 minutes from my parent's house if you want to stop by and say hey.

Have fun,
Dave

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i wasn't as motivated as i should have been on the trip due to massive amounts of whiskey, beer, and bbq consumed... i did take a day to hit up the laurel mountain trail in pisgah to burn off some fat.

hopefully, i'll be able to make it down to windrock again this year.