Quantcast

Riding at keystone 6/18/05

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'll be in colorado springs from june 16th-22nd and hopefully riding keystone on the 18th. I'm going with my girlfriend so i'm not bringing my bike but I'm gonna rent and ride at least one day. Any suggestions for where to rent or someone to ride with would be cool. The rental is a big thing since i ride a demo 9 and don't want to be on some POS.

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Not sure that you will be able to find a DH bike for rent.
But the places to check would be:

Moutain Bike HQ (they are the bottom of the lift in Keystone): http://keystone.snow.com/info/bikerentals.asp

Moutain Sports Outlet(in Dillon): http://www.mountainsportsoutlet.com/

Gravitee (in Copper Mountain): http://gravitee.com/

A Racer's Edge (Breckenridge): http://www.aracersedge.com

Recycle Ski and Sport (in Frisco)

I will be back up in Dillon in a couple of weeks for the summer and will most likely be riding on the 18th if you want to meet up. Let me know.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Thanks, i guess I'll have to start making phone calls to see what's around. Any other suggestions for a place to ride DH would be cool. I'll be in colorado springs from the 16th to the 22nd.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
You're going to be 2 hours away from Keystone, FYI. Other places to hop on a lift is Vail. There may be some better rental shops around. From what I understand, there were a 'few' DH oriented bikes at the shops (like 2), but for the most part they were set up for 5 and 5. Breckinridge has a good rental fleet and seems to be more 'rental' savy (not sure about the selection), but their DH trails suck (IMHO).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Ascentrek said:
You're going to be 2 hours away from Keystone, FYI. Other places to hop on a lift is Vail. There may be some better rental shops around. From what I understand, there were a 'few' DH oriented bikes at the shops (like 2), but for the most part they were set up for 5 and 5. Breckinridge has a good rental fleet and seems to be more 'rental' savy (not sure about the selection), but their DH trails suck (IMHO).
Yeah I looked into how far away it was. I'm gonna be at keystone for the weekend and figured while my girl and her sister wonder around i can ride. I'll make some calls and see what's around, i just don't want to lug my bike out for 1 possible day of riding.
How are the trails at vail? I just need a place that i can ride for the afternoon and meet up with my girl and her sister later.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So I heard from a Colorado local that Keystone is about the same price as Whistler, and has only two tables. Is it true that Keystone really sucks? He spent a good part of the lift ride going off...

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
erikkellison said:
So I heard from a Colorado local that Keystone is about the same price as Whistler, and has only two tables. Is it true that Keystone really sucks? He spent a good part of the lift ride going off...
Considering the total lack of DH specific trails in the area, Keystone is pretty good IMO...Again, a little pricey, but still cheaper than buying plane tickets to whistler.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Lexx D said:
Yeah I looked into how far away it was. I'm gonna be at keystone for the weekend and figured while my girl and her sister wonder around i can ride. I'll make some calls and see what's around, i just don't want to lug my bike out for 1 possible day of riding.
How are the trails at vail? I just need a place that i can ride for the afternoon and meet up with my girl and her sister later.
If you really like technical DH, go Vail. IF you don't have your rig and all the DH gear, you can make a fun day of Keystone on a rental. 4 lift rides and you've done most of the mountain. At an average speed on a 5&5 bike, you can spend about 5 hours playing around.

Phil Winn

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
dude... everything sucks compared to Whistler. Keystone is pretty good. I personally like it and the high speed ski run sections are fun. your right there are only 2 tables on them and they're small, but they have one big cheese wedge wooden jump on the open ski sections.

Vail is good too but the only technical trail is "Old 9", everything else flows like Keystone. my 2 cents...

P"

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
i don't know what the deal is with all the keystone bashing, but if you going to be in keystone anyway, it's definatly worth riding. true it is no whistler. but i wouldn't want sit at the bottom of the mountain woundering how good or bad the riding is.

as for colorado springs. there are a couple of different shuttle runs worth checking out. pipeline, pikes peak, and the tuesday night shuttle that hits up lower captain jacks. there is also a 4x track and dirt jumps o'plenty at the dragon man complex that should be ready for public consumption by the time you get here. my main man Jason Pettit has a finger in all of these things and runs a guide/shuttle service, give him a call (719) 330-0293 for info on the costs, times and bike rentals.

if you're looking for some one to ride with check out http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70 they seem to be a little more group ride oriented over there.

or by a map and rent an xc bike and head out on your own. there is an endless supply of trails that are rideable from downtown c-springs.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
erikkellison said:
Dude, no other dh resort destination can be compared to whistler. You're comparing cantalope to cherries. Heck, compared to the current state of california destination dh, keystone looks pretty good. Take your friends ranting with a hefty pinch of salt.

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Went by Keystone yesterday..they have some new stuff at the base this year. Two sets of dirt jumps, each line with three doubles plus a seperate jump to platform then drop at end of platform. Also have the regular stuff from last year, the North Shore bridges over the big spools and the wooden table top jump. They were working yesterday and I assume they will continue up until opening day as the jumps still needed to be shaped, bridges completed, etc. We got about 2-3 inches of snow up here last night but most has melted now, sun is out, so should be nice by this weekend.

Jun 6, 2004
erikkellison said:
No other resort near the middle of Co. is doing what Keystone is trying to do. In addition tho the other features mentioned in this thread, Keystone is putting in some good dirt jump lines at the bottom of the mountain. If you think its lame, save your money, put on some spandex, and ride xc.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
'Presheiate the update jeff, good to hear!! We we're all wondering what was going on up there. I'll be headed to Utah, bummed to miss the opener. So now I guess we'll need both bikes to ride.....sweet...I just heard Keystone will be open till 7pm opening weekend!!!

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Should be a good weekend, they are having events all weekend long:

Event Schedule:

Thursday, June 16

10am-7pm Bike haul access open to public.
10am FREE prizes awarded to first 100 people on lift!

Friday, June 17

7pm Nirve Cruiser Cross fun-race (Win a Cruiser!)
after race Après bike party & Cruiser Cross awards

Saturday, June 18

10-4pm Yeti Bike Demos - FREE!
1-9pm World Music Festival
9:15pm Fireworks over River Run

Sunday, June 19

1-3pm Junkyard Jump Competition
3:30pm Après bike party- Tricycle Crit, & Awards at Parrot Eyes.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jeff said:
Should be a good weekend, they are having events all weekend long:

Event Schedule:

Thursday, June 16

10am FREE prizes awarded to first 100 people on lift!

Friday, June 17

7pm Nirve Cruiser Cross fun-race (Win a Cruiser!)
after race Après bike party & Cruiser Cross awards

Saturday, June 18

10-4pm Yeti Bike Demos - FREE!
1-9pm World Music Festival
9:15pm Fireworks over River Run

Sunday, June 19

1-3pm Junkyard Jump Competition
3:30pm Après bike party- Tricycle Crit, & Awards at Parrot Eyes.
So maybe I'll be able to take a yeti out for a while? Can't wait, hopefully I'll find someone to ride with.

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Keystone Ride Reoprt:
Still a lot of drifts on top of Keystone. The only trails open today were Mesquito Coast, Lower Paid in Full, Loggers Way and Wild Thing(I think some of the green trails were open also). You have to ride a good ways down the service roads befoore you can hit any trail. Trails were in good shape, a few muddy spots but still riding nice.
Overall a great day to be out riding, just wish more of the mountain was dry.

jrok

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I was there last sat/sun and the snow is melting in a hurry. There is supposed to be a trial crew working on the upper half 2morrow from what I overheard last weekend. Kinda hard to say if top to bottom will be opened this weekend.