Quantcast

Riding/Camping pictures from this weekend in Pisgah

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
This weekend was awesome, despite heavy rains towards the end of
the week, we were able to leave saturday morning and only lose
one night of camping. Saturday afternoon we did an awesome ride, way up to Black Mtn, then WAY down to the Ranger's
Station. This made for a ton of tech singletrack descent,
it was incredible.

Camp.

Some hiking on the way up.

The view from Black Mountain sucked.

Fall is a great time to ride pisgah, some of the color was coming in up high.

The singletrack is tight.

Some tech stuff.

Again.

A cool cave we stopped at.

Campfire chillin.

Tell me what you think.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Those are cool. Talk about heavy rain, I am about maybe 300 miles up from you or maybe more, and we just got 6 inches of rain in about a day and a half.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
rpk1988 said:
Those are cool. Talk about heavy rain, I am about maybe 300 miles up from you or maybe more, and we just got 6 inches of rain in about a day and a half.

Yeah dude it POURED here. Luckily we had collected a bunch of dry firewood. The weather was incredibly though, as soon as the storm passed it was the perfect temperature and nice and clear all day saturday.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea now it is clear and actually kinda cool. Its nice. But I had to play football in that pouring rain. Ever tried kicking a wet ball? Haha.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
T-Pirate said:
Tell me what you think.
i think you guys need to get some ECC for them zokes so you can climb them trails instead of hikin em. ;) :p

Number 4 is awesome. Diggin the panorama, as you know it's cool to share, but being on top of a mountain with your bike is awesome.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Skookum said:
i think you guys need to get some ECC for them zokes so you can climb them trails instead of hikin em. ;) :p

Number 4 is awesome. Diggin the panorama, as you know it's cool to share, but being on top of a mountain with your bike is awesome.

I just have a ridiculously awful Sherman Slider on my bike. The rebound doesn't work. I'm savin for a 36. We climbed a lot of singletrack too though, but who wants to see pictures of that?

The pano is a crop of the full res of the original shot. Basically removed the middle 1/3 of the picture and pasted it as a new image.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
T-Pirate said:
I'm savin for a 36.
Wise move, i've been wanting one for a long time, but i think i'm waiting for a Nomad or 6 Pack to go with it.

T-Pirate said:
We climbed a lot of singletrack too though, but who wants to see pictures of that?
You'd be suprised. People who climb alot can appreciate a good grinder shot, especially techy spots.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Skookum said:
Wise move, i've been wanting one for a long time, but i think i'm waiting for a Nomad or 6 Pack to go with it.

You'd be suprised. People who climb alot can appreciate a good grinder shot, especially techy spots.

I've been climbing a lot lately and I've hit so many good spots that I hadn't done in awhile. Shuttling only limits you to so few spots.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Nice pics.

Camping tip: Tuck the blue tarp under the "footprint" your tent. It'll catch rain water and bring it under the tent floor if left out like that.

Mike

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Dartman said:
Nice pics.

Camping tip: Tuck the blue tarp under the "footprint" your tent. It'll catch rain water and bring it under the tent floor if left out like that.

Mike
That sounds like good advice, thanks. Luckily we missed the rain but it would have been hell friday night, I'll make sure to get it all tucked in next time.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Skookum said:

It would not matter if they had Sid forks on their bikes.
They were climbing to the very top of Black Mountain trail,
and alot of the last 1.5 miles is not ridable.
The place has alot of big log stairs made for hikers. Its easier to get off and walk than to remount your bike every 20 feet.
The singletrack to the bottom is SO worth it though. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jeremy R said:
The place has alot of big log stairs made for hikers. Its easier to get off and walk than to remount your bike every 20 feet.
You had me interested until you mentioned Sid forks.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Jeremy R said:
We hiked up Avery Creek earlier this season. :dead: :dead: :dead:

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Sherpa said:
We hiked up Avery Creek earlier this season. :dead: :dead: :dead:
We got the tip on Black Mountain from Herndon when he was working at Sycamore Cycles. He told us to climb the gravel fire road up as far as we could and then peel off onto the blackMT. hike, but an XC guy in our group "didn't come to Pisgah to ride fireroads". So wanting to stay together we climbed/pushed up Avery Creek. We where BEAT DOWN by that mountain. Jeremy is right, toward the top of the climb a lot of it is unridable, hell i wanted a rope and harness on a few sections. The bombing ride back to the ranger station was sooooo worth the trip. Probably the most fun i have had on my Heckler. That run was EPIC.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Great Stuff as always.

What route up and down did you take specifically? In all the times I have been up there I have yet to do the traditional "Clawhammer" ride.

Also on the pics.... I am with Skookum, I would like to see pics of the trails, up or down it doesnt really matter. Your affect pictures are cool, but I also like to look at your really clear pics that showcase the rider and the terrain.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Great Stuff as always.

What route up and down did you take specifically? In all the times I have been up there I have yet to do the traditional "Clawhammer" ride.

Also on the pics.... I am with Skookum, I would like to see pics of the trails, up or down it doesnt really matter. Your affect pictures are cool, but I also like to look at your really clear pics that showcase the rider and the terrain.

For sure, in pisgah its really hard to make some shots look good. Far out shots and non blurry shots are hard to make work because its so dark in the rhodo tunnels. I try to just address each situation with which type of picture will make the best shot. As far as uphill pictures, I just don't usually stop to take them, on the descents we usually shoot the very top section then just shred the rest.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
gastro said:
Is that really campfire smoke in the last picture?

I'm heading up this weekend, hitting DuPont on Saturday and probably Black Mtn. on Sunday.
good luck. Just remember, "all or nothing", go to the very top of Black Mtn.