Quantcast

Riding during World Champs

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This is a repost of my buddie's question which has no responses.
We're planning on going to the world championships, but if we fly all the way there, we'd like to ride something. I know we won't be able to ride IN the event, but we are not having luck finding details if we'll be able to ride at all at MSA.

Anyone with past experience, here are my questions:

Is monte st anne going to be open to public riding prior to the races (even if different trails)?

Are there any worthwhile lift-access hills nearby?? (within an hour or so)

Thanks!

-Scott

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
MSA has always had the lifts running during their WC events, I don't forsee this event being any different. The course runs down the front of the mountain, completely away from most of their other trails. The DH there is worthwhile to ride, and some of the runs are over 10 minutes long. As for other riding in the area, I'm not sure, I've never had a reason to leave the immediate area during the WC events, the riding and spectating is enough.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
MSA has always had the lifts running during their WC events, I don't forsee this event being any different. The course runs down the front of the mountain, completely away from most of their other trails. The DH there is worthwhile to ride, and some of the runs are over 10 minutes long. As for other riding in the area, I'm not sure, I've never had a reason to leave the immediate area during the WC events, the riding and spectating is enough.
Just the type of awesome news I was looking to hear! I would rather not travel to ride, just stay at the event.
I called MSA, but I'm not too hopeful. I gave her my email, and she's going to forward me an email address that I can ask :think:

Has anyone who rides/ lives near MSA heard for sure? I want to buy my lodging and plane tickets as soon as possible, but it's a no-go if there's no biking for us to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm trying to plan a trip to go to Worlds but I don't know if I should plan on riding at all while I'm there or if it will just be spectating. I'm bringing a lady friend so that might be more reason to leave the bike at home, although I'm driving so I could just as easily bring the bike...

Sidenote: my lady friend is french Canadian, with french being her first language. Major score when going to Quebec.

4130biker

May 24, 2007

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
As Banshee Rider pointed out, it's usually open for riding for the weekdays during the World Cup as well as the day of the XC WC race. I'm expecting it'll be the same for the Champs and I'm planning to be there. Your post makes me doubt a little though...we'll need to make sure of that.

Also, Gestev is still the organizer so I don't see why the World Champs would be different from the World Cups. I guess it's safe to assume the lifts may not be accessible with a bike on sunday for the race, but that's all.:)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If you bring a bike, you'll just spend the whole time trying to keep it from being stolen.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Guys, trust me with all the partying/events that will be going on, You'll not want to ride. You'll be lucky to find time toe eat.
If you bring a bike, you'll just spend the whole time trying to keep it from being stolen.
This is making me think my money would be better spent traveling somewhere I can ride for a few days. I understand it's WC and it only comes around (within driving distance) every decade or so but if I'm gonna take off work for 4-5 days and drive 20+ hours round trip I feel like I should ride... Now I'm torn.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Is it that bad?

I like spectating and all, but if I'm going to fly to the other side of the continent with riding buddies, I'd like to ride.

Has anyone here ever tried to ride during a world championship? Is it just an absolute fvcking zoo?

Honestly, I'm a bit torn on bringing the bike, but I would really like to.

By the way, no response from MSA after a few attempts.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Now I'm wondering if just renting a bike would be the way to go. After I ship my own bike both ways, it would be at least $200...
This way I wouldn't have to worry about theft, storage, shipping and all of that BS.
I can easily adapt to jenky rentals. It's a blast from the past!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Is it that bad?

I like spectating and all, but if I'm going to fly to the other side of the continent with riding buddies, I'd like to ride.

Has anyone here ever tried to ride during a world championship? Is it just an absolute fvcking zoo?

Honestly, I'm a bit torn on bringing the bike, but I would really like to.

By the way, no response from MSA after a few attempts.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. Although I can drive to MSA, if I were flying I would probably be reconsidering even more. Maybe I'll just spend my time/money and go to whistler for a few days...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sounds like we're in the same boat. Although I can drive to MSA, if I were flying I would probably be reconsidering even more. Maybe I'll just spend my time/money and go to whistler for a few days...
Sounds like a good idea. You mean whistler THEN msa?
That would be awesome!
As far as getting lots of riding in, I'm sure world champs isn't the place to do it. :(

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
During WC events at MSA, the other trails have been open and with low traffic since most people are watching the race. It's easy enough to make a few runs, lock the bikes somewhere to watch racing. Staying in the condos at the bottom of the hill is convenient for stashing bikes.

With all the excitement going on, there seems like less time for riding. Past yrs at WC events, we went from trying to combine riding and watching... then taking the bikes and not riding them, then not taking the bikes at all.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Bigwheel,
Thanks for the input!

I'll let you guys know what we come up with, should be a killer event!!!