Quantcast

Riding in Boulder

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So here's the deal-

A good friend from college is getting married. Among all my college buddies, we've done all the crazy vegas trips, strip clubs and all that. For this guy, we were looking to do something a little different.

We're going to be in Boulder in August for a few days, doing various bachlor party crazyness, but we've got one day open. Some one had brought up riding and that would be awesome... if I knew a good place in boulder to ride and a good place where a bunch of guys can rent a decent bike.

Since we don't really know the trails over there, it would be even better if there was anything like what's setup in Downieville where there's a shuttle service or guide or something to the local trails.

Some of these guys can rip, some are out of shape and others will probably be sketched out by gnarly dh. So if anyone can point me in the right direction of something fun and flowy that a couple of yahoos can ride hung over on for the day that'd be cool. Extra points if you know of a good bike shop in boulder that rents/ has fun demo bikes.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Walker ranch is always fun, not to gnar, but it is high altitude.....so it's out due to snow.....hmmmm....Heil? Anyone know Heil Ranch's condition?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Thought I mentioned it, but maybe not. We won't be there until August. Hopefully there's not still snow? :D
So you did......Walker's one of my favorites, flows well, as hard or easy as you want it to be (minus the gnar technical), and many will argue, but I like it clockwise.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
x2 on the Walker clockwise. But where's this gnar technical you speak of?!?

Hall Ranch is a fun ride. Two approaches to a loop at the top. (Ride the loop to your heart's content.) One approach is mellow and one is tech rocky. Both return you to Lyons where you can enjoy a Dale's Pale Ale (or 2) at its birthplace, Oscar Blues brewery. (Lyons is a sleepy town about 15 miles outside of Boulder.)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
If you want a super fun, flowy, not very technical trail, head just west of Golden to Centennial Cone. You can do it as a loop or an out-n-back. The views are spectacular, the climbs are moderate (mostly) and the trail is nice and skinny (mostly). The only issue with this trail is that on the weekends, bikers can only ride on even days. During the week, its open all week to bikers and hikers.

If you want some fun technical stuff that isn't too steep or long, definitely hit Hall Ranch and do the rock garden climb. It's not over the top, but there are some really fun technical problems. And heading down it is a BLAST.