Quantcast

Riding in Colombia? (the country, not the district!)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Looking at photos and videos, I'd really like to ride in Colombia, and I'm trying to convince my buddies to consider it as a destination for our annual bike trip. Looking on TrailForks, it seems there's a decent amount of trails in the Medellin and Manizales area. But I can't find tour operators, or even a hot-shot local rider that posts on Pinkbike or TrailForks that I could ask about guiding.

Does anyone have any contacts, or know of a good guide? (Marcelo Gutierrez is taking a gap-year... I wonder what he's up to?!)

When we went to Ecuador last year, we had a contact there who was a good rider. There was 9 of us I think. We rented a house in Quito for a week, and he hired another guide, a bus and a driver. It all worked really well, and I'm thinking something similar could be organized elsewhere. But we just need a contact to get the ball rolling.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a buddy spends lots of time in Columbia and will probably be "retiring" there by the end of the year. He is not a rider, but I'll ask him if he knows anyone who might know any one.

Edit: Says he doesn't know anyone off hand, personally. But he knows a guy who takes turistas for hiking trips through the jungle. Says he'll ask that guy if he knows of anything.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
There always seems to be a fair number of Colombian riders posting on PB, not sure if these cats can help out any https://www.pinkbike.com/directory/10117/bike-colombia-club/ but I have them bookmarked for future reference.

Colombia is on my bucket list for riding and coffee as well, it's a ways off for me, probably going to do another Costa Rica and an El Salvador trip before then, but everything about Colombia looks insanely awesome.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a buddy spends lots of time in Columbia and will probably be "retiring" there by the end of the year. He is not a rider, but I'll ask him if he knows anyone who might know any one.

Edit: Says he doesn't know anyone off hand, personally. But he knows a guy who takes turistas for hiking trips through the jungle. Says he'll ask that guy if he knows of anything.
thanks! I looked up the EWS race book, for the local race officials. I might drop them an email to enquire too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If it comes to it, you could probably send a message to the youtubers "Trent and Allie". They are on a road trip with their van from the USA to bottom of South America and drove through Columbia a few months ago. They have mountain bikes, but not sure if they used them there?

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
probably going to do another Costa Rica and an El Salvador trip before then, but everything about Colombia looks insanely awesome.
Going to be in El Sal for the next three years, starting in spring. Did you see the video I posted a few days ago? Riding looks great.

If you are passing through, let me know. Likewise, if you have ridden there and have advice, I am all ears! (PM or another thread to avoid hijacking here...)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the Air BnB listings I found for 10+ guests are RIDICULOUS. As in "perfect bachelor party pad. yes you can bring women"... :eek:

but some of the places outside of town are equally ridiculous... essentially small hotels in the mountain perfect for bike team camps, yoga retreats, weddings etc. seems like a beautiful place.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Gregor works in private security for Thomson Reuters in Columbia and Ecuador. He lives in Bogota and works in Medellin a lot. He likes it better then Mexico City. Which was his prior assignment. He is a rider also.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My friend Gregor works in private security for Thomson Reuters in Columbia and Ecuador. He lives in Bogota and works in Medellin a lot. He likes it better then Mexico City. Which was his prior assignment. He is a rider also.
Cool. You think he'd have some recommendations for someone who could guide a group of approximately 8 Canadians?

The more I hear about Medellin, the more I want to go there...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My friend went there to do consultancy work for three months and when he came back he had frequent nosebleeds and told me about the $5 8-balls. That was years ago, so they are probably $7 now.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
He recommends you go to Lima Peru or Santiago Chile instead of Columbia. He said there are security concerns for Gringos in remote areas of Columbia. The Cities are kind sketchy and clogged with Venezuelan refuges. When his assignment is over he is going back to Canada.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
He recommends you go to Lima Peru or Santiago Chile instead of Columbia. He said there are security concerns for Gringos in remote areas of Columbia. The Cities are kind sketchy and clogged with Venezuelan refuges. When his assignment is over he is going back to Canada.
Santiago is pretty cool too, and the riding is amazing.

Not a party town at all though. the t&a&blow wont hold a candle to medellin.
Lima, i dont like much to be honest. Rides near are good... but 80% of the city sucks.

Sao Paulo is the top city in latam for the t&a&blow. Not sure about the nearby trails though. Only been there for business

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I remember barely being able to find a beer and a bit to eat in Santiago...at 10:00 pm on a Friday.
well, at least without paying for a fancy club cover, but that action wouldn’t have started until midnight.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Peru was on the table too. A couple of the guys explored the Sacred Rides option, until we saw the price :eek:

Chile would be awesome, but it's tricky for me since my wife is from there. Viña to be precise. And she has a ton of family there (8 aunts and uncles, with all the cousins that entails!). So to go on a boys vacation, without the family is a non-starter. I've thought of pitching a combined trip, I'll have to test the waters very carefully. When we last went, we went to Pucón and I rode there a couple of times. On the flight from Santiago, I noticed a guy on the plane wearing Sam Hill edition 5.10s! So I struck up a conversation and he was big into riding and hooked me up with a bike and we joined a group ride. It was pretty awesome. I'd love to go back to the area. Especially since it's not far (relatively speaking) from Bariloche and all the riding in that area too.

A T&A&Blow trip is not really what we're after, it's more about quality rides and natural views. I'm not too too concerned about security since we'd be staying away from the night life, and I'm pretty conversant in espanish.... I figured with a guide and possibly even a shuttle driver, we should be able to stay out of trouble.

I liked the Colombia option because it's much cheaper to fly to, and it's a much shorter flight from here...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Peru was on the table too. A couple of the guys explored the Sacred Rides option, until we saw the price :eek:
Sacred Rides sub-contracts the peruvian operation with an english-speaking guide located in Cusco. Might want to talk to him. He is basically a bike-guide.
There is another english-speaking guy, a Duke U graduate I used to ride with who got fed up with corporate life and started a tourism company and is doing pretty good as well. In addition to MTB, he is also a more all-around travel outfit.
Both are world-class outfits, and probably half the price of sacred rides.

There are 2-3 more (and cheaper) local guides that I have ridden with... but not quite up to that level, in terms of logistics, knowledge and profesionalism.

The riding in Cusco is amazing, the hotels are amazing. If coming to Peru, I´d just fly straight to Cusco and stay in Urubamba. The Lares ride is my favorite, its truly an amazing place.

Tambo del Inka is my favorite hotel there (though a bit pricey). Its the place I go when I bring the wife/kids along.
Amaru Valle is a much cheaper hotel I stay when I go for a weekend to ride with friends. Its right across tambo del inka, so I still go to Tambo for dinner/drinks.

A T&A&Blow trip is not really what we're after, it's more about quality rides and natural views....
I liked the Colombia option because it's much cheaper to fly to, and it's a much shorter flight from here...
I believe you, but going to Medellin for that sounded a bit like saying "I buy Hustler magazine for the articles".

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sacred Rides sub-contracts the peruvian operation with an english-speaking guide located in Cusco. Might want to talk to him. He is basically a bike-guide.
you wouldn't happen to know how to get in touch with this person would you?

There are 2-3 more (and cheaper) local guides that I have ridden with... but not quite up to that level, in terms of logistics, knowledge and profesionalism.

The riding in Cusco is amazing, the hotels are amazing. If coming to Peru, I´d just fly straight to Cusco and stay in Urubamba. The Lares ride is my favorite, its truly an amazing place.

Tambo del Inka is my favorite hotel there (though a bit pricey). Its the place I go when I bring the wife/kids along.
Amaru Valle is a much cheaper hotel I stay when I go for a weekend to ride with friends. Its right across tambo del inka, so I still go to Tambo for dinner/drinks.
I'm not afraid of a little logistics...! When we went to Ecuador, we rented a villa outside Quito... is that an option in Cusco?

I believe you, but going to Medellin for that sounded a bit like saying "I buy Hustler magazine for the articles".
this is good to know...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I assume we are talking about Wayo Stein, correct?
my buddy Richard Fernandini rides with him a lot, he will be here Saturday to snowboard. They have a place in Uramamba, it *might* be rentable, I’ll find out ASAP.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, yes, my friend rents out their house, and Wayo Stein is currently the 'best' guide for the area (but probably the most expensive). He will know the stashes, though. What dates/how many people? Do you have Whatsapp?
Wayo
51 940 703 338

or another guy that might be a little cheaper
Diego Sarmiento

51 998 390 334

hope that helps

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Holy cow, that's awesome. It's early going now, so it's hard to say how many guys are "in", but this is golden information, thanks. I don't have whats app, but my wife has been pushing me to get it, since her family uses it pretty much exclusively, so I can easily install it. I'll check with my guys to see who's in and who's out to get a rough estimate of numbers and get in touch. thanks for the beta, this is awesome! would totally rep if it were still a thing!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Holy cow, that's awesome. It's early going now, so it's hard to say how many guys are "in", but this is golden information, thanks. I don't have whats app, but my wife has been pushing me to get it, since her family uses it pretty much exclusively, so I can easily install it. I'll check with my guys to see who's in and who's out to get a rough estimate of numbers and get in touch. thanks for the beta, this is awesome! would totally rep if it were still a thing!
Wayo Stein is in his mid 40s, he is an ex downhill racer (once got a 2nd place in the panamerican) and is probably the best/most established, and most Expensive.
You can reach him on facebook.

Diego runs a more laid back operation, with much faster guides and is very 420 friendly.
He is in his mid 30s.