Quantcast

riding in corvallis?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm looking at OSU for school this spring. I havent been there before and am planning on making a tour of the school/ soils department next month. Having nice riding available is important to me. Does anyone know if there is good street riding or any dirt jumps around corvallis? Any decent Local bike shops with rollie smokin/ pbr drinkin wrenchers? Is there good singletrack in the area?

thanks

oddblob

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Salem, Oregon
The coolest bike shop in Corvallis is Cyclotopia - right next door to a funky coffee shop too, which is always good. Lots of singletrack just to the west of Corvallis in the McDonald Forest. Close enough to ride your bike to it from your dorm. Mary's Peak is also good, but probab;y want to drive to it unless you're a glutton for mileage. Corvallis is about 45 minutes south of an excellent freeride area outside the town of Falls City. See: Blackrock Freeride Association Corvallis is also not too far from Eugene/Oakridge which might be too far for an after school ride, but definitely close enough for a Saturday excursion. Don't know about the dirt jump scene there.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Really depends on your riding style. We have a so so skatepark but no dj's. Albany has some [20 min drive]. Urban is fairly limited, but the campus has a few sessionable spots - until the university po-po show up of course. The local forest is not the mini-mecca it once was. Logging has claimed a few nice trails, authorized trails have been sanatized beyond belief, and the ongoing war between MTB's and OSU [the land owner] seems to be getting more aggressive. Every year the new flock of students build stunts and every year they get ripped out. Same 'ol drama as everywhere else I suppose. If you have a taste for long XC rides with lots of fireroad, we have plenty. If your more aggressive in nature [dj's and urban, I would assume you are] then your choices are limited. As mentioned, Mary's Peak is a great trail. You can earn it, or shuttle - both are fun. Blackrock is a lot of fun and only an hours drive. The trails are butter but the stunts are large. A little something for everyone. Lot's of people ride in this town so I'm sure you'll find what your looking for. 4 bike shops, 3 fit your bill. Each have their own personality. Hmmm, I guess that about covers it. What are your trails like where your at?

a note on the sanitization of authorized trails. They ripped out all the roots, made them double wide, and graveled them to death. BUT, there is a good side to this - they are open year round. It rains 9 months of the year, and these trails are super fast and fun in the wet.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
thanks for that. I just spent 3 years in pullman at WSU, where the campus is the only street riding available, but its full of sessionable places. Campus is also a giant f*in hill that is fun to ride just because you can bomb down these huge paved lanes dropping stairs at high speeds and bunnyhopping whatevers in the way. Then at the bottom you take the elevator back to the top.

The dj's in pullman were non existant, i tried to build in 3 different spots, but all were torn down, once i was kicked out by the poe with a threat of prosecution. Moscow idaho has some dirt jumps though, at the cost of a 15 minute drive, or 40 minute ride on the dj bike. There was some singletrack, but nothing special, about a 25 minute drive. It was fun just to get into the woods onto singletrack and pedal around. There was one good bike shop near pullman, over in Idaho. The guys that worked there rode street after work and i smoked bowls with a few of them, not like the other shops who rode in lycra and tried to get me to buy road bikes when i rolled around to pump up my tires with their compressor.

At home, we dont have much for urban, or singletrack. All the good singletrack is a 30-45 minute drive. But dj's are in good order. The yakima skatepark is fun to session too.

basically i like to just get on my bike and screw around, ride with some like minded people.