Quantcast

Riding In Japan...

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by manhattanprjkt83, Jun 12, 2019.

1. manhattanprjkt83

manhattanprjkt83 Rusty Trombone

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 261
    Yo RM friends...A buddy and I are planning to spend some time traveling in Japan this fall. The plan is to do a few days of riding over the 10 days we will be there. We are in the research phase of where to ride and figured I would put up a post to see if anyone has experience doing so? There are some decent google search results but wanted some first hand experience if possible.

My initial thought was find stuff in Hokkaido, but it really doesn't look like there is a ton of content from that area available online. I find that funny though because it's such a hotbed of winter mountain activity. That said areas south and east of Tokyo look to have some good riding.

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

• Winner Winner x 1

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,880
    where was it they had the DH world cup back in the early 2000's? that might be a good place to start.

3. canadmos

canadmos Cake Tease

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 4,789
    The bcpov guy on YouTube did a big trip there last year I think. He has a bunch of videos. Can probably reach out to him for contacts and info.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xy9ine

xy9ine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 127
    no idea what's going on in terms of bike scene, but i *really* want to snowboard hokkaido one of these years.

and just check out japan in general. rad place. should be a fun trip.

5. velocipedist

velocipedist Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 260
    You can checkout my old videos from the Nikko area (approx 80ish miles north of Tokyo) Kirifuri Freeride on youtube.

https://youtube.com/user/KirifuriFreeride

Bikes that have wheels removed and are covered in what the Japanese call a rinkoubukuro can be taken on trains.

Fujimi Panorama is the one resort with a lift and 4 trails. I would recommend grabbing your International Driving Licences and renting a vehicle.

I can provide better info/help with logistics if you narrow down a timeframe and location.

#5 -   Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    104 / 1,547
    Arai Mountain? And because this showed up in the search results when I looked it up, I'll post it here:

• Like Like x 2
  7. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,880
    yea! that's the one. i think there was some footage in the first (maybe second?) Earthed?

8. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 261
    Yeah I contacted our old man photo friend guy...He said go straight to Hokkaido, then realized I was talking about summer. Can't wait regardless.

9. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 261
    Thanks man, this will be one of the first times I've ever been looking to rent a bike. Normally can't stand it but I just can't deal w/ lugging a bike around Japan. Packing light for this one.

10. velocipedist

velocipedist Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 260
    Renting will limit your options.

The name escapes me but there is a Specialized store in Gunma prefecture that rents and guides with a decidingly xc lean to it.

Fujimi Panorama ( where the WC was held I believe ) in Nagano Southwestish of Tokyo is where you will want to go for more gravity.

Technically speaking hiking trails are not off limits to bikes, of course it often times end up being Bike Portage with awesome yet minimal riding distance. And it is wise to stay off popular trails to reduce potential hiker ire. Hard to recommend for your first trip there.

I leave for Japan next week for a month, and the new jorb looks to send me there minimum of twice a year, so I am happy to bridge the language barrier should you need assistance.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  11. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 685
    If you're near Nagano, in Chino village there's an American ex-pat dude called Paul who used to work for SRAM for years. Buddy of mine hired him as a guide and reckons it was a great time, particularly if you like after ride beers.

Place was called Yatsugatake Cycling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hmcleay

hmcleay i-track suspension

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 100
    I spent a day DHing at Fujimi Panorama (different from Mt Fuji) around 2010.
    http://www.fujimipanorama.com/mtb/en/
    It's lift accessed, with 3 or 4 runs (only one proper DH run). It has probably improved since I was there.
    It was pretty wet when I was there, so not super enjoyable, but still fun.
    I hired a bike and gear from the rental 'Backyard Garage House'.
    It took approx 2 hours to get there from Tokyo, and from memory, they didn't have credit card facilities out there.

13. fubuki

fubuki Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 24
    I live in Japan. I've only ridden Fujimi Panorama and Fujiten bike park. Both are fun, but pretty lacking compared to bigger North American spots. Hope to get out to Hakuba soon for some riding.

14. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 2,772
  15. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    104 / 1,547
    Was just watching a vid of Cathro riding the Legoland course after it was closed, and saw this off on the side of the YT recommendations:

I haven't watched it yet, so can't comment on quality, but it seemed relevant (i.e. white boy riding in Japan!)

16. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    347 / 3,715
    didn't matt hunter post a vid from japan a few years ago...LMGT...
    here it is

17. captainspauldin

captainspauldin intrigued by a pole

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 70

I watched that one, dirt looks awesome, but he mentions there's only like 2-3 trails.

18. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    104 / 1,547
    agreed. I wouldn't fly there just for that. But... I'd stop there for sure if I was going on a ride trip there! He mentioned that was the first day of a 5-day riding trip... I'll watch for more updates for sure. I'm not a super big fan of his channel, but I'm kinda of a Japan fanboi, so I'll be watching for the next edit to drop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. canadmos

canadmos Cake Tease

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 4,789
    • Winner Winner x 1